Movies with Port?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Movies with Port?

Post by Andy Velebil »

What movies have you seen Port, Madeira, or Douro wines in? As in any movie from any time period. It could be a movie about wine, or just a bottle you recognized as being Port, Madeira, or a Douro wine in the background.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Miguel Simoes

Re: Movies with Port?

Post by Miguel Simoes »

Madeira! I keep telling the story of how it appears in Gone With the Wind, where this lady in the south offers his guests some from the "the last bottle of my finest Madeira".

That stretch of the movie should be played over and over again in all Madeira lodges.
John M.

Post by John M. »

In "Remains of the Day" I recall the butler (Anthony Hopkins) drops and breaks a 1912 Taylor (at least as I recall--been awhile) on the stairs. Unlike Miguel's movie clip--this tragedy should NEVER be shown too much.
Any Port in a storm!
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

John M. wrote:In "Remains of the Day" I recall the butler (Anthony Hopkins) drops and breaks a 1912 Taylor (at least as I recall--been awhile) on the stairs. Unlike Miguel's movie clip--this tragedy should NEVER be shown too much.
Very close John, it was a 1913 Dows

Cheers Allan
John M.

Post by John M. »

Allan Engelsted Laurents wrote:
John M. wrote:In "Remains of the Day" I recall the butler (Anthony Hopkins) drops and breaks a 1912 Taylor (at least as I recall--been awhile) on the stairs. Unlike Miguel's movie clip--this tragedy should NEVER be shown too much.

Cheers Allan
Thanks--is that better or worse??? Cannot find a Tasting Note here for the 1913 Dows.
Any Port in a storm!
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

John M. wrote:
Allan Engelsted Laurents wrote:

Cheers Allan
Thanks--is that better or worse??? Cannot find a Tasting Note here for the 1913 Dows.
A lot better...a Nice Taylor from the great year of 1912, to be smashed, would be a sin.
But bottles from 1913, are much better to smash, It was a poor year for Ports in general.
I am not sure, if a Dows vintage was even made i 1913. Those movies they Can trick You [cheers.gif]
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

I didn't see the movie, but is there some kind of symbolism involved by breaking a nonexistent vintage bottle? A throwaway bottle, so to speak?

More here: http://www.wineintro.com/movies/remainsoftheday/
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Christian Gollnick

Post by Christian Gollnick »

A very nice French-Portuguese movie was partially filmed at Graham's QUINTA DOS MALVEDOS... The English title is THE GILDED CAGE.
It's not about Port wine - but a comedy about a Portuguese family living in France that dreams about returning to the Douro... Very well done.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2261749/