Xmas drinking plans

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Xmas drinking plans

Post by Andy Velebil »

Christmas and New Years are quickly approaching, what wines, Ports, Madeira or anything else do you plan on opening to enjoy with family and friends, or yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Re: Xmas drinking plans

Post by Moses Botbol »

Just got home from a 30+ hour flight of which 25 hours was in a plane. Only one glass of port in over a month. I am opening something good; was thinking '70 Dow. The 3 kings are bringing a Durand with them.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
R Bull

Post by R Bull »

I started the week with a 1976 Waree's Colheita. I have a '45 Croft, two '63 Graham's and two '85 Gould & Campbell for the rest of Christmas week. Now, what to do for the week of New Years. [yahoo.gif]
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

Having 2*christmas both the 23. and the 24. of december. And friends over for newyears.

So three dinnerparties. And we are going All Niepoort - just for a change. [rotfl.gif]

Two bottles for every occasion:
1) on tuesday night Colheita 1937 and an older 20 years
2) on wednesday night Colheita 1937 and a kicking Vintage 2005
3) at newyears a Colheita 1912 and an old sweet tawny.

I have never had he Ni1912, I am looking forward to that bottle!

Cheers to You all
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

R Bull wrote:I started the week with a 1976 Waree's Colheita. I have a '45 Croft, two '63 Graham's and two '85 Gould & Campbell for the rest of Christmas week. Now, what to do for the week of New Years. [yahoo.gif]
Pick up a new liver from the dry cleaners and I'll be there by tonight, please save me some of the Croft and Graham's :wink: :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Christian Gollnick

Post by Christian Gollnick »

Being German, Dec 24th is the most important day... and that night we will open a bottle of the 20 Year old Bulas Tawny. Since weeks I look forward to this moment... [cheers.gif]

On Dec 26th we have our big family dinner - and we will open a bottle of DOW 2011... I know it's a crime to open this bottle so young - but I'm so happy and proud that this wine was selected as wine of the year by Wine Spectator that I think it's a beautiful thing to appreciate this marvelous wine as an Ambassador of all Portuguese wines...

New Year's Eve - we will finish this year with a bottle of Noval's 1995 Colheita....
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

Croft 1970 has become the traditional Xmas port here; admittedly it's not a very old traditional, but I plan to keep it going for as long as I can.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Christian Gollnick wrote:Being German, Dec 24th is the most important day... and that night we will open a bottle of the 20 Year old Bulas Tawny. Since weeks I look forward to this moment... [cheers.gif]

On Dec 26th we have our big family dinner - and we will open a bottle of DOW 2011... I know it's a crime to open this bottle so young - but I'm so happy and proud that this wine was selected as wine of the year by Wine Spectator that I think it's a beautiful thing to appreciate this marvelous wine as an Ambassador of all Portuguese wines...

New Year's Eve - we will finish this year with a bottle of Noval's 1995 Colheita....
No way, it's a great Port and trying them young is good too.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Moses Botbol wrote:Just got home from a 30+ hour flight of which 25 hours was in a plane. Only one glass of port in over a month. I am opening something good; was thinking '70 Dow. The 3 kings are bringing a Durand with them.
Found a '63 Dow and '66 Grahams in my cellar (first two bottles I saw). I thought I had '70 Dow in Boston, probably buried under another box... '63 should be a good enough. [shrug.gif]
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

It's looking like nothing for me this year. Kari is sick and I feel like I'm coming down with it, too. No point in opening anything because I wouldn't be able to enjoy it. :(

Maybe New Year's Eve, assuming we can both beat this illness by then...
Glenn Elliott
Mads Barnkob

Post by Mads Barnkob »

I dug out a bottle of 1990 Quinta de la Rosa that I have wanted to try for a while.

I will also open the mystery 1946 vinho do porto that I showed in another thread.

Backup / casual drinking through the holidays is a Kopke 1984 colheita.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mads Barnkob wrote:I dug out a bottle of 1990 Quinta de la Rosa that I have wanted to try for a while.
There's one you don't see or hear about very often...or at all. Do let us know how it is.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Never seen a bottle of 1990 Quinta de la Rosa before.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

So far I've open a 1995 Cos, a 2005 Spanish Albarino, a 2005 Burgundy, and finally managed to get to the Ports tonight with a 1980 GC. For a Sauternes switch a 2001 LP is in the fridge, but what I'm really thinking about is what to serve with a birthday dinner of leg of lamb. A 1970 Fonseca is definitely under consideration. With the lamb? Amarone? Numanthia? ...

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Our line up was:
1982 Monsanto Chianti - totally rocked!!!
1982 Dunn Cab - Classic
1989 Jean Tardy Chambolle-Musigny - took forever to open up.
1963 Dow - Smooth and elegant
1966 Graham - Lots of stuffing to it, with touch of spirit.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Yesterday was a glass of DOCG Prosecco, a Coors (the original kind) beer, and a couple glasses of 2013 Wilson Creek White Cabernet Sauvignon. Never knew was such a thing. Drinkable, but after two glasses I was done and stuck to water the rest of the night. No Port, but I'll fix that tomorrow.
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

During these three days of Christmas there has been a good portion of port with my family:
NV Mourao 60 years tawny
1977 Gould Campbell vintage port (magnum)
NV Portal 30 years tawny
NV Bulas 20 years tawny
2009 Crasto Vintage port

Too many tawny/colheita people in my family, so there has so far not been enough vintage ports!! :P :P
But the holidays are not over!! [yahoo.gif]
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Popped a T27 on Xmas eve at my brother's house - an excellent bottle from a small stash I've had for several years now, but have never got round to sampling.

Sadly, the heavier drinking members of the family were absent this year so I ended up drinking most of it myself.. [cheers.gif]

Popped an ancient half bottle of sherry yesterday - bottled by M. Antonio de la Riva about 50 years ago. I've seen a number of variants from this stable, none of which say Solera on the label. Other dates noted have been 1842, 1830 and 1812, but this was the real oldie - 1770.

Wine was a pale amber colour, with strong citrus notes and a sharp edge, not unlike a marmalade orange, but still quite drinkable

Easily the oldest juice I've had - or indeed, seen offered for sale..
John M.

Post by John M. »

No Port for me yesterday....but I have a 1991 Warre's standing for Saturday Extended Family 2nd Christmas (the way we solve the huge family conundrum with all the marriages-kids away, etc) although I may swap it for a 1978 Croft Roeda...
Any Port in a storm!