What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Al B.

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Al B. »

A bottle of Smith Woodhouse 1986 LBV bottled in 1990. Really rather good - I love these mature, bottle aged LBVs. They are exactly what they say on the bottle - vintage port bottled late.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

1989 Dows SQVP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Allan Engelsted Laurents

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

A Nice Way to spend the afternoon. Yesterday, we went to a Tawny Tasting in Copenhagen
Maynards 10Y - Ferreira White 10Y - Dalva Colheita 1985 - Offley20Y - Kopke Colheita 1984
Maynards Colheita 1982 - Calem 40Y - Maynards Colheita 1970 - Romariz Colheita 1963 - Burmester Colheita 1951.

The 10Y White Ferreira was a Big positive surprise. But for me the Maynards Colheita 1970 took home the Price...
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

1970 Fonseca. Sadly, this was the second in a row that has been corked, although this one wasn't nearly as bad as the previous one.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

SPend a long weekend in Napa and took a 1983 Dow's VP to open as it's a friends birthyear. Didn't show all that great, but was still enjoyable.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Eric Menchen wrote:1970 Fonseca. Sadly, this was the second in a row that has been corked, although this one wasn't nearly as bad as the previous one.
Better the second day after a plastic wrap soak. It didn't shine like some 1970 Fonsecas I've had, but the off aroma wasn't there.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

A Tesco 1994 which is showing really (I find the bottles can be a little variable) and a Gould Campbell 1963 that was shared with a group of wine makers who mostly don't drink port and which really wowed them.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Al B. wrote:A Tesco 1994 which is showing really (I find the bottles can be a little variable) ...
Is that an SFE bottling? Was there one blend with bottle variation, or might there be different blends out there as well?
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Al B. wrote:A Tesco 1994 which is showing really (I find the bottles can be a little variable) ...
Is that an SFE bottling? Was there one blend with bottle variation, or might there be different blends out there as well?
It is an SFE wine, I believe the same blend across the entire stock. I've experienced a lot of bottle variation which I've always put down to poor storage.
Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Richardson »

1965 Delaforce Colheita.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

1970 Croft Vintage Port
Glenn Elliott
David Co

Post by David Co »

at offline last weekend:
calem 77
kopke colheita 74
Jose Da Silva 1908
warres lbv 84
grahams single harvest tawny 82
Barros 80
Hardys Aussie VP 1978
Warres lbv 86

This past weekend was
91 taylor, 94 rozes and 66 fonseca.
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

Opend a bottle of Mac Duffs on friday. Quite Nice, But nothing fancy.

But again Way better than the Niepoort Blansec White Port (a 40 year old bottle), which was totally ruined [dash1.gif]
Thats what happens, when I drink the older Tawnies without indication of age.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (75.88 KiB) Viewed 2725 times
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Forgive me my sins, it has been more than two weeks since my last bottle of Port was opened, although I did manage to try a unique one whilst in Lisbon.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Gerwin de Graaf

Post by Gerwin de Graaf »

1945 Sandeman VP.
I'd given this bottle for my dad's 70th birthday a couple of weeks ago. As we noticed that the bottle was starting to leak (quite a bit) we decided to not wait too long with the opening of it.
We we're with some family (6 were enjoying the port) last monday (national holiday over here), and before our lasagne dinner, we had the '45, so we could fully enjoy and appreciate its flavors .
Thankfully it showed beautifully, and it seemed not to have suffered a lot with the leaking. [beg.gif]
It was (of course) fully mature with lovely fruit tones still left and lovely tones of (from memory) chocolate, some leather (in a good way) and spices. Also it had a great balance of sweetness and acidity. [yahoo.gif] :yumyum:

Times like these are rare for me (us) and really are the icing on our cakes! Just love collecting (and drinking!) my (Vintage) Ports!! :winebath:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Gerwin de Graaf wrote:1945 Sandeman VP.
I'd given this bottle for my dad's 70th birthday a couple of weeks ago. As we noticed that the bottle was starting to leak (quite a bit) we decided to not wait too long with the opening of it.
We we're with some family (6 were enjoying the port) last monday (national holiday over here), and before our lasagne dinner, we had the '45, so we could fully enjoy and appreciate its flavors .
Thankfully it showed beautifully, and it seemed not to have suffered a lot with the leaking. [beg.gif]
It was (of course) fully mature with lovely fruit tones still left and lovely tones of (from memory) chocolate, some leather (in a good way) and spices. Also it had a great balance of sweetness and acidity. [yahoo.gif] :yumyum:

Times like these are rare for me (us) and really are the icing on our cakes! Just love collecting (and drinking!) my (Vintage) Ports!! :winebath:
Glad it showed well, and happy birthday to your dad. FYI, I've split this into it's own TN in the TN Forum so it will be easy to find later.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Gerwin de Graaf

Andy Velebil wrote:Glad it showed well, and happy birthday to your dad. FYI, I've split this into it's own TN in the TN Forum so it will be easy to find later.
Thanks Andy! :thumbsup:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

2008 Niepoort LBV tasting note here http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopfo ... 12&t=38348
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

David Co wrote:at offline last weekend:
calem 77
kopke colheita 74
Jose Da Silva 1908
warres lbv 84
grahams single harvest tawny 82
Barros 80
Hardys Aussie VP 1978
Warres lbv 86

This past weekend was
91 taylor, 94 rozes and 66 fonseca.
Warres '80s LBVs seem to pop up surprisingly often in tasting notes (both here and on TFP) and in my perusal of auctions. Did Warres just make a ton of LBV in '84 and '86, or did they do a late release or did people just have an amazingly well coordinated effort to hang on to them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Gerwin de Graaf

1966 Graham's VP :yumyum: