Valentine's Day Port?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Valentine's Day Port?

Post by Glenn E. »

Are you planning to open a special bottle with a special someone for Valentine's Day?

My wife and I are going out tonight to celebrate early (which, not coincidentally, makes reservations easier to get) and I'll be bringing along a 1987 Kopke Colheita. That's our anniversary year. I really should find something from 1986, though, which is the year we started dating... on Valentine's Day!
Glenn Elliott
Bradley Bogdan

Re: Valentine's Day Port?

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

I hear the Rocha '86 Colheita is good...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Maybe one of the half bottles of Kopke white I just got via FTLOP?

We had Champagne last night, but I suppose we can have it again on Saturday?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I have a 1960 Sandeman on tap as I noticed it was started to seep a touch. No reason to keep it longer.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

for the first time i have a casual date for Valentine's Day. before i've only ever had Valentine dates if i already had a boyfriend. my requirements for Valentine's Day are wine and chocolate. being a casual date i don't expect anything, so i'm providing my own. i'm going to bring the Dow's 2008 LBV i opened Tuesday with my Port buddy [we only drank half of it] and some 72% dark chocolate. this guy doesn't drink much, so i may have a date but still drink alone! i'm going to make sure he at least has a taste since so many of you think so highly of it. i think it will be his first Port. think it will be a good introduction? he says finer things are "wasted on" him, so i'm just going to stress whether he enjoys it or not. Port may be one of the "finer things" but enjoying it or not is a pretty simple observation. pomp and circumstance are great, but it all comes down to whether one likes it.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Scheiny S wrote:for the first time i have a casual date for Valentine's Day. before i've only ever had Valentine dates if i already had a boyfriend. my requirements for Valentine's Day are wine and chocolate. being a casual date i don't expect anything, so i'm providing my own. i'm going to bring the Dow's 2008 LBV i opened Tuesday with my Port buddy [we only drank half of it] and some 72% dark chocolate. this guy doesn't drink much, so i may have a date but still drink alone! i'm going to make sure he at least has a taste since so many of you think so highly of it. i think it will be his first Port. think it will be a good introduction? he says finer things are "wasted on" him, so i'm just going to stress whether he enjoys it or not. Port may be one of the "finer things" but enjoying it or not is a pretty simple observation. pomp and circumstance are great, but it all comes down to whether one likes it.
One of the things my wife has gotten used to (and occasionally admits enjoying!) is trying a bit of just about everything I open. She's also one that won't usually notice a difference between a good and great Port, but that doesn't mean that she doesn't enjoy being included and broadening the horizons. Besides, the Dows isn't something that's priceless or tough to get a hold of, so even if he doesn't like it, oh well.

-Brad

Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Probably going to open a 2002 Warres LBV that I picked up while scouting local wine shops. I'm a bit gun shy about opening nicer things considering they all took a cross country trip a week ago.

-Brad

Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

The 1987 Kopke was fantastic last night with my lobster and filet mignon. We may finish the bottle tomorrow, and I'll try to get a TN posted as well.
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I ended up opening 2005 Kopke White Colheita, 1982 Kopke Colheita, and 1986 Rocha Colheita. The sub zero weather warranted such! :salute:
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:I ended up opening 2005 Kopke White Colheita, 1982 Kopke Colheita, and 1986 Rocha Colheita. The sub zero weather warranted such! :salute:
I may postpone the Port today. We're having a winter heat wave and it's gonna be 90+ today. This weather is killing me, I want my winter back. [help.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Moses Botbol wrote:I ended up opening 2005 Kopke White Colheita, 1982 Kopke Colheita, and 1986 Rocha Colheita. The sub zero weather warranted such! :salute:
I may postpone the Port today. We're having a winter heat wave and it's gonna be 90+ today. This weather is killing me, I want my winter back. [help.gif]
I feel for you Andy. You don't have any white port you could drink chilled outside or even a LBV?

It is roughly 0 degrees celsius in Aarhus today with a clear blue sky. Perfect port weather.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thomas V wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:
You don't have any white port you could drink chilled outside or even a LBV?

I feel for you Andy. It is roughly 0 degrees celsius in Aarhus today with a clear blue sky. Perfect port whether.
I haven't picked up my Kopke white from my offsite yet. :( Maybe I'll just turn the air conditioner on full blast and pretend it's winter while sipping some Port
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

DELETED
Last edited by Michael T on Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Ended up in the mid 60s here today, plenty cool enough for some evening Warre's '02 LBV to accompany a couple desserts.

-Brad

Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thankfully it cooled off quickly once the sun went down. The 1960 Sandeman was very nice.
John M.

Post by John M. »

Yesterday it was 1 degree until 8AM and got up to 11 degrees for the high. 13 this morning. [foilhat.gif]
Any Port in a storm!
Christian Gollnick

Post by Christian Gollnick »

Andy Velebil wrote: I may postpone the Port today. We're having a winter heat wave and it's gonna be 90+ today. This weather is killing me, I want my winter back. [help.gif]
Dear Andy, I have good news. There is help available. When I moved to Cayman, I did a few online-courses to get prepared for the island. These are the training-sessions that really helped me:
1) "Man up - Don't let your Port consumption being dictated by the weather" (8 hours, $295)
2) "Drinking like a boss - Ruby at the Beach" (2 hours, $49)
3) "Colheita Caliente" - (4 hours, only available in Spanish, Columbian Pesos 39,500)
4) "With Sandeman through the Sahara - Memories of a Traveler" - (1 hour, $19.99)

These courses enabled me for example to sit yesterday outside on the porch, getting a sunburn while drinking Sandeman's 20 year old Tawny and Niepoort's Senior Tawny without any problem!
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Christian Gollnick wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote: I may postpone the Port today. We're having a winter heat wave and it's gonna be 90+ today. This weather is killing me, I want my winter back. [help.gif]
Dear Andy, I have good news. There is help available. When I moved to Cayman, I did a few online-courses to get prepared for the island. These are the training-sessions that really helped me:
1) "Man up - Don't let your Port consumption being dictated by the weather" (8 hours, $295)
2) "Drinking like a boss - Ruby at the Beach" (2 hours, $49)
3) "Colheita Caliente" - (4 hours, only available in Spanish, Columbian Pesos 39,500)
4) "With Sandeman through the Sahara - Memories of a Traveler" - (1 hour, $19.99)

These courses enabled me for example to sit yesterday outside on the porch, getting a sunburn while drinking Sandeman's 20 year old Tawny and Niepoort's Senior Tawny without any problem!
[rotfl.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

A spectacular LBV: 2002 Smith Woodhouse.

Who knew?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

[quote="Bradley Bogdan"Besides, the Dows isn't something that's priceless or tough to get a hold of, so even if he doesn't like it, oh well. [/quote]

actually, i picked it up in December and hadn't seen it the rest of the year. priceless, no, but somewhat rare in PA, perhaps.

luckily, our temperature of 9 was lovely Port drinking weather. and i still have about a glass left for me.