What was your best port PURCHASE in 2016?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Al B.

What was your best port PURCHASE in 2016?

Post by Al B. »

Sometimes you come across a real bargain, other times you find a bottle you've been looking for for years. Other times you're just really smug because you found something before anyone else did.

So what port purchase gave you the most satisfaction in 2016?

Mine was probably buying a bottle of Yeatman 1966 vintage port from the Yeatman Hotel for £100, which I drank a couple of weeks later to find it was a delicious bottle of Croft 1966 (identified from the branding on the cork).
Last edited by Al B. on Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John M.

Re: What was your best port PURCHASE in 2016?

Post by John M. »

I think my best deal of the year was two 1960 Ferriera for $161 all in. One was very good, the other spectacular.

Honorable mention to 1978 Croft Roeda and Croft 20 Year for $62 and of course the FTLOP buying op.
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

There are two and a coincident that one is the same as AHB's. A 1966 Croft VP for $100 and a 1960 Sandeman VP for $75
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

it's not impressive but i'm happy.
i found a bottle of Ferreira Dona Antonia Reserve for $20. i had a glass in a restaraunt last spring, so i'm excited to have a bottle. it's my first Ferreira.
and the Quevedo 2011 LBV for $17. it was the only one on the shelf and the first time i've seen it in the store, we sometimes have their white or Ruby but i've never seen a Reserve or LBV. and the LBV was cheaper than Reserves go for.
Gerwin de Graaf

Post by Gerwin de Graaf »

I got 12 bottles of Cálem 1991 VP @ under €18 a bottle in 2016.

And my personal victory: 2 x 1973 Noval LBV (my birthyear) , together with a 1937 Colheita (unknown producer to me, and bottling date unknown)
Edward J

Post by Edward J »

I think the pair of 1966 Rocha VP or the 1963 Taylor VP could be considered my best purchases of the year, but they are still an unknown as they sit in the cellar awaiting their fate. However, what is known is the Quinta do Crasto 2011 LBV. I was able to pickup up a case for $16 a bottle delivered to my home, unheard of. What was even better was opening it and drinking one. My wife declared "Wow, this is good" and she is more the ruby gal and I'm more the tawny guy.
John M.

Post by John M. »

Edward J wrote:I think the pair of 1966 Rocha VP or the 1963 Taylor VP could be considered my best purchases of the year, but they are still an unknown as they sit in the cellar awaiting their fate. However, what is known is the Quinta do Crasto 2011 LBV. I was able to pickup up a case for $16 a bottle delivered to my home, unheard of. What was even better was opening it and drinking one. My wife declared "Wow, this is good" and she is more the ruby gal and I'm more the tawny guy.
I got a case too, for a similar price. Agree it is a spectacular LBV....and I considered mentioning it in my post.
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Maybe
1994 Warre Porto Vintage
12 bottles (375ml) $21
or
1996 Quinta do Noval Porto Vintage Nacional
1 bottle (750ml) p $321

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Unearthing a 1929 Cockburn's Crusted Port in excellent condition. Some would say I over paid because it's just a Crusted Port. But it drank every bit worthy of its $170 asking price, given I knew of its source which was a renowned CA winemaker, and fine provenance too. Wish he had owned more, so I could share these with more folks. I was glad to be able to bring this singular bottle to a fantastic FTLOP event that Andy had organized a month and a half ago, in LA.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

A 1947 Cockburn for less than $250 delivered. Turned out to be a poor bottle, despite what seemed to be good condition, but the experience of a VP that old was worth the cost anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Brad