What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Maurice Fitzhugh

Re: What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

Post by Maurice Fitzhugh »

Glenn E. wrote:I finally found a reasonable source in the US, so ordered 2 bottles of the Taylor 325th Anniversary Limited Edition Tawny. $32 list which still comes to less than $40/bottle including shipping. For the price of an inexpensive 20-yr old, why not give it a shot?
Do you mind sharing where you found them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Maurice Fitzhugh wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:I finally found a reasonable source in the US, so ordered 2 bottles of the Taylor 325th Anniversary Limited Edition Tawny. $32 list which still comes to less than $40/bottle including shipping. For the price of an inexpensive 20-yr old, why not give it a shot?
Via an internet search - Atlas Wine Sales. They're in Portland, so ground shipping to Seattle is both reasonably weather-safe and quick.
Glenn Elliott
Gerwin de Graaf

Post by Gerwin de Graaf »

6X Kopke Quinta S. Luiz 1992 VP
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Glenn E. wrote:
Maurice Fitzhugh wrote:
Via an internet search - Atlas Wine Sales. They're in Portland, so ground shipping to Seattle is both reasonably weather-safe and quick.
... and they just emailed me to say they're out of stock and they cancelled the order. :mad:
Glenn Elliott
Mark Henderson

Post by Mark Henderson »

Picked up a couple of 1960 VP's in England which I will take back home. Quinta do Noval and Croft, with an extra Noval for a friend who is another '60 boy.

Cheers...Mark
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

3 bottles of 1970 Niepoort for $100 each (the last bottles). I thought that was a good deal, but already have near a case of it already... Can one have too much of such a colheita? It's been years since I had one.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Moses Botbol wrote:3 bottles of 1970 Niepoort for $100 each (the last bottles). I thought that was a good deal, but already have near a case of it already... Can one have too much of such a colheita? It's been years since I had one.
That's a colheita? I'd love to try that some time. And yeah, that's a great price!
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Glenn E. wrote:
Moses Botbol wrote:3 bottles of 1970 Niepoort for $100 each (the last bottles). I thought that was a good deal, but already have near a case of it already... Can one have too much of such a colheita? It's been years since I had one.
That's a colheita? I'd love to try that some time. And yeah, that's a great price!
Yes, colheita. I don't have any of that in a VP. I am not sure if the bottling date is different between the ones I currently own and the just purchased ones.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I've just acquired 3 bottles of Warre 1969 LBV, bottled 1975. The previous oldest Warre LBV I've seen / owned / drunk was from 1974.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Al B. wrote:I've just acquired 3 bottles of Warre 1969 LBV, bottled 1975. The previous oldest Warre LBV I've seen / owned / drunk was from 1974.
Wow, that sounds neat. How was the '74?
John M.

Post by John M. »

At auction 2 x Mags of 1977 Smith Woodhouse.
Any Port in a storm!
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Al B. wrote:I've just acquired 3 bottles of Warre 1969 LBV, bottled 1975. The previous oldest Warre LBV I've seen / owned / drunk was from 1974.
Wow, that sounds neat. How was the '74?
Really beautiful; full of sweet, spiced fruit.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Had a 1994 Taylor Vintage at a restaurant for $40 a bottle. Pretty good deal in my opinion and was a hit with my co-workers.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Moses Botbol wrote:Had a 1994 Taylor Vintage at a restaurant for $40 a bottle. Pretty good deal in my opinion and was a hit with my co-workers.
You had a 0.75 bottle of Taylor's 1994 VP at a restaurant for 40 USD for the whole bottle? I hope you bought all their bottles at that price?
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Thomas V wrote:
Moses Botbol wrote:Had a 1994 Taylor Vintage at a restaurant for $40 a bottle. Pretty good deal in my opinion and was a hit with my co-workers.
You had a 0.75 bottle of Taylor's 1994 VP at a restaurant for 40 USD for the whole bottle? I hope you bought all their bottles at that price?
Yes, I would expect to pay at least $100 for one of those at retail, and I would double that for a restaurant.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Thomas V wrote:
Yes the whole 750 ml bottle. This is a restaurant, not a liquor store... They don't sell wine "to go".
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Thomas V wrote:
Yes, I would expect to pay at least $100 for one of those at retail, and I would double that for a restaurant.
I'd post a photo of the wines we had, but photobucket no longer is allowing me post pictures to forums... We had 14 bottles of wine and port, along with Taylor my favorites from the night were

'69 Inglenook Cab for $40
'73 Chasse-Spleen for $30
'84 Mas de Dumas Gassac for $45
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Thomas V wrote:
Yeah, at least $100. Probably more like $150. Those (and the Fonseca) are pricey.

Moses just gets the most ridiculous prices...
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Glenn E. wrote:Yeah, at least $100. Probably more like $150. Those (and the Fonseca) are pricey.

Moses just gets the most ridiculous prices...
Was the first time trying it as well. I was expecting it to be bigger than it was. Still youngish, but I don't see it as a bottle that will age as well as lets say an '85 Fonseca or even '70 Taylor...
Last edited by Moses Botbol on Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Moses Botbol wrote:Was the first time trying it as well. I was expecting it to be bigger than it was. Still youngish, but I don't see it as a bottle that will age as well as lets say an '85 Fonseca or even '70 Taylor...
Huh. Interesting. I haven't had it for a while, but it has usually seemed like a 50-year monster to me. That said, we had a bad bottle at the '94 horizontal in 2014 (89 pts), and my only TN in the TNDB was at Andy's (96 pts) and had me confused about it possibly being early maturing... so who knows?
Glenn Elliott