Let's talk White Port, the "forgotten" category

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Let's talk White Port, the "forgotten" category

Post by Roy Hersh »

It is summertime and with temperatures reaching the 90's here in the typically cool PNW, (Pacific Northwest) we take solace when thinking of Andy melting on his motorcycle in LA or Eric Ifune in the desert that is Las Vegas. But at least in those venues, air conditioning is the norm. Here, almost nobody has central a/c in their homes, and only a few even have installed units in their bedrooms in order to be able to sleep.

Segue from hot days to warm nights and it is not easy to think about popping a beautiful rich and viscous Vintage Port unless it is cooled down quite a bit. That's where White Port comes in. Tawny too of course, but that's not news. Neither really is White Port, but for some reason, I am hard pressed to think of the last time we had a good thread about the White Ports we're drinking.

Have you been chillin' 'em down lately for consuming on these warm/hot/blazing summer nights? If so, besides the "usual suspects" like 1952 Dalva [shrug.gif] ... what are you thinking about trying this summer that fits in this all too forgotten category?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Paul Fountain

Re: Let's talk White Port, the "forgotten" category

Post by Paul Fountain »

It's not summer everywhere Roy, but if it was summer here, I'd be wishing I had access to some of the 10 year old white port from Kopke which which impressed me at the lodge last year. I think the only white I own at the moment is the Andresen 10yr old.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've been slacking on the White Port consumption lately. I usually grab a few bottles when summer starts for white port and tonic's. I've been so darn busy lately I forgot. This thread has made me realize I do need to go get some soon as our warmest months are still to come.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I wish there were more white port available here. The Churchill which I quite fancied is no longer available - it is effectively a 10 year-old and is quite dry. All that is around here is the Taylor's and Fonseca's, both of which are quite simple and a little sweet from what I remember. I did see a stray bottle of Portal White but for some reason didn't bite - I probably should have.

Mahmoud.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Mahmoud,

I'll admit, I thought you abandoned us. I for one, noticed. Welcome back! [friends.gif]

You know, I forgot all about the Churchill's White Port. For a long time in the 1990's it was really the only White Port I had except for Dow's, but like 95% of the time it was Churchill's. It is crisp, off-dry, just a hint of residual sugar but a great wine for food pairing. Long ago, I learned it was the only wine I've ever had that paired well with asparagus, even cream of asparagus soup. Just sayin'. Anyway, I have several White Ports at home, but none of which are Churchill's. Like Andy mentioned above, I am going to have to hit up the wine shop. I know a place near me to purchase that one.

Oh yeah, go back and purchase the Port White Port, it is nice and please let us know what you think! Please say hello to Dirk and Anabel for me!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Roy,

I certain will try the Portal white when I see it again. In the meantime I am in Brussels for a beer drinking event - something I signed up for a couple of years ago - lots of friends and acquaintances from around the world will be here.

On our first night here in Brussels, having arrived rather late in the evening after a long flight via Heathrow, my partner and I went for a walk and had a couple of beers and a snack before walking back to the hotel. There, on a hot muggy evening, the receptionist and his friend from the Turkish consulate were out on the sidewalk. After talking about Turkey and my visits they told me that there was a small local store just a block down that was still open - it was well past midnight - and sold wine. I decided to wander down to see what I could find for a bit of a nightcap. There I found a bottle of inexpensive ruby port that I thought would fit the bill. It was only 8 euros and I wasn't expecting much.

Back at the hotel I read the back label and saw that it was bottled by Symington Family Estates - that was good news indeed as I told my partner that they were the ones behind Graham's, Warre's, and Dow's. The ruby was more than simple to say the least. It had a dry savoury character, wasn't hot in any way at all, and had a mature edge to the finish, more like an older LBV, with a browning rim. Quite nice for a late night drink all on it's own.

Why am I writing about a ruby port on a thread about white port you ask? Well, on the shelf next to the ruby port was a white port with a similar looking label, probably by the same producer. What are the odds that I will go back tomorrow night and pick up the white port? Very, very good I'd say. I will try to write a note about it.

And another thing, they had a bottle of a 1992 Garrafiera for 15 euros - I am quite certain that it will also figure in my plans in the next few days.

Cheers....................Mahmoud.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:
And another thing, they had a bottle of a 1992 Garrafiera for 15 euros - I am quite certain that it will also figure in my plans in the next few days.

Cheers....................Mahmoud.
Good luck with the white Port. Might I suggest also getting some ice and tonic to mix with said inexpensive white Port?

Is the 1992 a dry wine?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mika H

Post by Mika H »

We have been lucky to have a real summer heat and the warmest july in years here in Finland - and it still continues. My perfect summer cooler has been this:
A long glass
1/3 Krohn Lagrima Fine White Port
2/3 Lemon flavoured sparkling water
1-2 lemon slices
Ice cubes
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mika H wrote:We have been lucky to have a real summer heat and the warmest july in years here in Finland - and it still continues. My perfect summer cooler has been this:
A long glass
1/3 Krohn Lagrima Fine White Port
2/3 Lemon flavoured sparkling water
1-2 lemon slices
Ice cubes
It's been hot here lately and that looks SOOO good right now. I wish I wasn't heading in to work in a few minutes, I'd rather be sipping on that drink [cheers.gif]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Mika,

Wow, that is really tempting. I need to go out and find some White Port now. Maybe a Churchill's as it has been so long since I've consumed it.

Mahmoud,

I hope you do go back and grab the White Port sibling to that Ruby bottle you had from the SFE. Please do report back here if you had a chance to try it and let us know what you think.
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Roy,

I did eventually try the white port but it paled in comparison to the ruby port - it wasn't sweet but it did lack character and complexity. Simple would be my description. Meanwhile the ruby continued to improve and almost ten days later, on the bus from Brussels to Paris, the last few sips were still good - a fantastic result from an inexpensive generic bottling.

Meanwhile, due to the heavy partying and beer drinking on the weekend I never got around to buying the '92 Garrafiera. I will be returning to Brussels for my flight back to Canada so I have to hope that it is still on the shelf and I will be able to try a bottle. If it's any good I will definitely take a bottle home. Andy, the Garrafiera is a dry red.

Cheers...................Mahmoud.