2005 Graham's LBV

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

dom carter

2005 Graham's LBV

Post by dom carter »

hi,

Not a tasting note per se, just an enquiry - has anyone had this? I've just had a bottle, as i like "pop & pour LBV's" during the working week (after thoroughly enjoying both their 2003 and 2004 LBV's), and i think it was the worst port i've ever drunk!! (not even going to score it!) My enquiry is whether i got a bad bottle - the whole mouth is HUGH tannins like a very cheap plonk Red, all you can taste is tannic acid and grape skin!

I'm guessing this might be the norm for Graham's in 2005 as the Malvedos 2005 tasting notes i've read, indicate lots of tannins.

Any body else share, this or did i get a really bad bottle?? (these a t-stopper corked, so i'm ruling "corked" out!)

Thanks in advance

Dom
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 2005 Graham's LBV

Post by Andy Velebil »

dom carter wrote:
Any body else share, this or did i get a really bad bottle?? (these a t-stopper corked, so i'm ruling "corked" out!)

Thanks in advance

Dom
Dom,
I've not had this one yet, so can't comment on how good it may or may not be. However, although you're less less likely to get a corked bottle with a T-cork, it is still a cork product and can still cause TCA damage in a wine. So don't discount that it may have had low-level TCA damage. This is a pretty inexpensive bottle so I'd recommend trying a second bottle to see if you get the same result, or if it's a better bottle then you'll know the first was somehow damaged.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
dom carter

Post by dom carter »

I was looking at purchasing more as the local supermarket has it for ~ £10 ($15), so price isn't an issue - i was hoping some one could spare my palate the pain, if it really is as bad as the first bottle!
Last edited by dom carter on Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Dom

If you bought this from a supermarket, you can always buy a bottle, try it and if it just as revolting as the first one then return what you haven't drunk for a refind. I've done this a couple of times at Tesco and they don't even bat an eyelid.

Alex
Symington Family

Post by Symington Family »

Hello Dom Carter,

The comments that you make with regard to our Graham's 2005 LBV are utterly unrecognisable with regard to the wine that we have made and bottled, from any objective standpoint.

It could be that this wine is TCA affected; this can certainly happen to any Port with a stopper cork although this is very rare. Or there could be another unknown reason, such as poor storage.

Please return the bottle to wherever you purchased it and you will be given another bottle. If they do not give you another bottle, please get in touch with our UK importers, John E Fells and Sons, tel 01442870900.

The Graham 2005 LBV is in the classic full-bodied, mature but structured style of previous of our LBV's and is, in my opinion, one of the best we have made. It certainly out performs most if not all other LBV's in most blind tastings.

I am sorry that you have had this experience, but do get a replacement bottle.

Paul Symington
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Now that's what I call great customer service :thumbsup:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Melanie R.

Post by Melanie R. »

Wow! What Andy said. :clap:
Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves, for we shall never cease to be amused.
dom carter

Post by dom carter »

@ Symmington Family,

Thank you for your kind offer and most excellent customer service, as i previously mentioned i have enjoyed numerous LBV's from the Graham's range and also many of your Ports of various styles and ages from across your holdings eg Warre's , Graham's, Smith Woodhouse and Dow's - i'm in the Symmington Camp when it comes to port production, but i can't return the bottle as i discarded the contents.

I'm suspecting i got a bad bottle - i will purchase a replacement bottle and when this one tastes as it should, i'll post a relevant and objective tasting note on your product.

Thank you for your kind and generous offer and concern,

Dom
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Paul,

Thanks for standing up for your product and engaging directly with your customers here. It is great to see a major shipper doing this on a public forum and is something I think others should be brave enough to do when the opportunity presents itself.

If nothing else, you have now persuaded me I need to seek out a bottle of Graham's LBV 05 and try it for myself :wink:

Cheers [cheers.gif]

Derek
Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Richardson »

On a planet filled with retailers and producers who are too frequently rude or indifferent to their customers, it is extremely refreshing to see such commitment to a product and the consumers who purchase it.

I will add my name to the list of people who will now seek out and purchase at least one bottle of the Graham's 2005 LBV. I am already a huge fan of the Symington family offerings and this has reinforced that loyalty.

-- Gary
John M.

Post by John M. »

Paul;

I am dutifully impressed as well; thank you for tending to our port-friend.

I too am looking forward to the 2005 LBV--just waiting to find in northeastern USA.

Cheers,
John M.
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andy Velebil wrote:However, although you're less less likely to get a corked bottle with a T-cork, it is still a cork product and can still cause TCA damage in a wine. So don't discount that it may have had low-level TCA damage.
Actually, you can even get TCA without any cork. It can infiltrate the wine and winery via other paths as well, although good sanitation and cleaning should prevent this.

I'll second or third or whatever all the comments praising the Symington's for their commitment to customer service. I'm not even a great Graham's fan, but I just might have to try the 2005 LBV now; unless the Dow or Smith Woodhouse woos me first. [cheers.gif]
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Menchen wrote:I just might have to try the 2005 LBV now; unless the Dow or Smith Woodhouse woos me first. [cheers.gif]
Look for the 1995 Smith Woodhouse LBV while it's still available. It's fairly common out here right now and it's quite excellent. It seems to list for between $22 and $30 out here, which (to me) is a steal for an LBV with that much bottle age on it.

Graham's is probably my overall favorite vintage Port producer - their vintages are consistently outstanding or better, and I'm not aware of any "down" years like the other producers seem to encounter from time to time. Remarkably consistent excellence.
Glenn Elliott
dom carter

Post by dom carter »

hi,

Calm down and carry on!!

Normal service has been restored - I've just purchased another bottle which shows i clearly got a bad bottle last time.

Initial taste are this is going to be v.good - tasting like a very young VP.

Dom
Sebastian T

Post by Sebastian T »

dom carter wrote:hi,

Calm down and carry on!!

Normal service has been restored - I've just purchased another bottle which shows i clearly got a bad bottle last time.

Initial taste are this is going to be v.good - tasting like a very young VP.

Dom

Since iv'e been waiting for this one replacing the graham 2003 lbv in systembolagets shelfs - wich was the first port i tried that made me go "wooow, there's definitively something about port", and also the port I have drunk the most since its broad availibility here in sweden - i'm glad that it seems to be just at least as good. Looking forward to taste it.