Birth year Ports laid down for your kids.

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Birth year Ports laid down for your kids.

Post by Andy Velebil »

Edward J wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:
Did I read that correctly, 3 sons in 1983? That's a lot of 1983 you needed to buy :lol:

1986 has some really nice VP's (mostly SQVP's). Hard to find now-a-days, but generally worth getting if you run across them.
We only had twins in '83, they were children #2 & 3, to clarify. Having two was surprise enough (we found out the day they were born).

I have gone over to the idea of thinking a Colheita is a proper substitution for the lack of a VP for your birth year, as it is doubtful I will find a '57 Khrohn before July :snooty: however for the kids, I got it covered.
I can imagine that was a very big surprise! Yes, a Colheita would be a proper substitution (Kopke has a excellent 1957 that's not too hard to find). I'm from the dreaded 1973-port-disaster-vintage so even an LBV works :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Andy Velebil wrote:I can imagine that was a very big surprise! Yes, a Colheita would be a proper substitution (Kopke has a excellent 1957 that's not too hard to find). I'm from the dreaded 1973-port-disaster-vintage so even an LBV works :lol:
1981 says hi [dash1.gif]
David Co

Post by David Co »

Our son (only child) was born in 2011 [yahoo.gif]
He has more bottles of vintage port than I do ranging from single bottles, to cases in owc to large format bottlings. Has to be over 400 bottles of 2011 vp resting for him and his children!
Aside from the port there is another 100 or so 2011 bottles of French, Italian and California wines (no non fortified 2011 Portuguese wines I am sorry to say)
A few bottles I have envisioned being used for his college graduation party, his wedding, birth of first child, but mostly they are simply for him to enjoy birth year wines throughout his life.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Thomas V wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:I can imagine that was a very big surprise! Yes, a Colheita would be a proper substitution (Kopke has a excellent 1957 that's not too hard to find). I'm from the dreaded 1973-port-disaster-vintage so even an LBV works :lol:
1981 says hi [dash1.gif]
I think Andy has the worst birth year. While I've never seen a single vintage dated port from 1973 (only some crusted port bottled in 1973) I have seen 1981 colheita from Burmester, 1981 LBVs from Warre and Niepoort and a 1981 vintage port from Ferreira. They're all quite difficult to find, but they are out there!
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Al B. wrote:
Thomas V wrote:
1981 says hi [dash1.gif]
I think Andy has the worst birth year. While I've never seen a single vintage dated port from 1973 (only some crusted port bottled in 1973) I have seen 1981 colheita from Burmester, 1981 LBVs from Warre and Niepoort and a 1981 vintage port from Ferreira. They're all quite difficult to find, but they are out there!
Well perhaps my birth year is a little bit less worse than Andy's [friends.gif] . I have also seen and tried a 1981 colheita from Kopke (was decent) and I actually think they did a SQVP from Sao Luiz? As it happens I have a Calém 1981 LBV en route to Denmark as we speak. Shall be fun to try and taste it. I don't have high hopes for it. But I am not too obsessed about purchasing port from my birth year.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

David Co wrote:Our son (only child) was born in 2011 [yahoo.gif]
He has more bottles of vintage port than I do ranging from single bottles, to cases in owc to large format bottlings. Has to be over 400 bottles of 2011 vp resting for him and his children!
Aside from the port there is another 100 or so 2011 bottles of French, Italian and California wines (no non fortified 2011 Portuguese wines I am sorry to say)
A few bottles I have envisioned being used for his college graduation party, his wedding, birth of first child, but mostly they are simply for him to enjoy birth year wines throughout his life.
2011 Douro wines rock. Worth adding a little to their stash, they'll love you even more for it!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

Al B. wrote:I have seen 1981 colheita from Burmester, 1981 LBVs from Warre and Niepoort and a 1981 vintage port from Ferreira.
Also 1981 Quinta do Infantado VP.
No 1973 VP that I'm aware of.
Bert VD

Post by Bert VD »

i don't have kids and don't want any, so i'll just keep looking for some VP to buy from my year from time to time (1985) [cheers.gif]