"WWW" on a port label

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Derek T.

"WWW" on a port label

Post by Derek T. »

Does anyone remember a thread here where someone posted a photograph of a port bottle with the letters WWW followed by an old vintage year? Some speculation followed as to what might be in the bottle and who the producers was.

I am sure I remember seeing that thread here but cannot find it.

I stumbled across this page in Henrick Oldenburg's boot today and it reminded me of that question...
p273.png
p273.png (125.91 KiB) Viewed 1204 times

If anyone can tie this to the previous thread it would be much appreciated.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: "WWW" on a port label

Post by Andy Velebil »

If I'm not mistaken, this generally means a very old Port, with each "V" representing so many years. I'm also quite sure that each producer probably does it a bit differently. So in this case there are 6 "V's". The funny part is I remember being told that at Ramos Pinto back in 2006, which makes sense since your bottle is also from Ramos Pinto.

Of course I could be totally wrong in which case ignore [1974_eating_popcorn.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Andy Velebil wrote:If I'm not mistaken, this generally means a very old Port, with each "V" representing so many years. I'm also quite sure that each producer probably does it a bit differently. So in this case there are 6 "V's". The funny part is I remember being told that at Ramos Pinto back in 2006, which makes sense since your bottle is also from Ramos Pinto.

Of course I could be totally wrong in which case ignore [1974_eating_popcorn.gif]
When was the last time your Department made you have an eye test?

Firstly, they are "W"s, not "V"s.

Secondly, there are 3 of them, not 6.

Finally, the note at the top of the picture describes exactly what it means.

I do hope that the citizens of L.A. do not rely entirely on your powers of observation and evidence gathering capabilities Officer Velebil :wink: :lol:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek T. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:If I'm not mistaken, this generally means a very old Port, with each "V" representing so many years. I'm also quite sure that each producer probably does it a bit differently. So in this case there are 6 "V's". The funny part is I remember being told that at Ramos Pinto back in 2006, which makes sense since your bottle is also from Ramos Pinto.

When was the last time your Department made you have an eye test?

Firstly, they are "W"s, not "V"s.

Secondly, there are 3 of them, not 6.

Finally, the note at the top of the picture describes exactly what it means.

I do hope that the citizens of L.A. do not rely entirely on your powers of observation and evidence gathering capabilities Officer Velebil :wink: :lol:
While they may look like "W's" I believe they are actually two "V's" that are placed together. I'm stretching my memory on this, but I could have sworn that was how it was explained. My earlier disclaimer is still in effect :mrgreen:

BTW Here is a pic of that same Port we tasted in their tasting room back in 2006
Attachments
RP 1890.jpg
RP 1890.jpg (69.39 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

The conversation was the result of a tasting note on TPF. Do you recall that at the Christmas 2009 offline I brought along a magnum of unknown port that was stencilled with "WWW 1907". We had no idea what was in the bottle, but thought it was a peasantly tasty tawny. Interesting to now read that we might well have been right - that this was possibly a port bottled in 1907 and very old at the time. Excellent!
Last edited by Al B. on Sat May 28, 2011 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

:D

Thank you. I have linked the TN on TPF to this thread.
Ben Read

Post by Ben Read »

Despite my child induced tiredness, it does occur to me that Andy may have a point regarding the two V's. If I remember correctly, Vinha Velha means 'old grapes' (or old vines?) so WWW could be 'very old grapes' perhaps?
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Ben Read wrote:Despite my child induced tiredness, it does occur to me that Andy may have a point regarding the two V's. If I remember correctly, Vinha Velha means 'old grapes' (or old vines?) so WWW could be 'very old grapes' perhaps?
Go back to bed, Ben.

They are "W"s [dash1.gif]
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Derek T. wrote:
Ben Read wrote:Despite my child induced tiredness, it does occur to me that Andy may have a point regarding the two V's. If I remember correctly, Vinha Velha means 'old grapes' (or old vines?) so WWW could be 'very old grapes' perhaps?
Go back to bed, Ben.

It's because Elmer Fudd made the labels. The Port is wery, wery, wery old. :mrgreen:
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek T. wrote:
Go back to bed, Ben.

Ben dont' go back to bed :lol: