What is your favorite 1991 Vintage Port?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

What is your favorite 1991 Vintage Port?

Post by David Spriggs »

I just posted a TN on the 1991 Croft Vintage Port - http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopfo ... 12&t=13096
This might be my favorite 1991 Vintage Port for drinking now. What is your favorite 1991 Vintage Port? Any other 1991's drinking well now? [1974_eating_popcorn.gif]
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: What is your favorite 1991 Vintage Port?

Post by Andy Velebil »

Love the Croft as well...will have to think about this but Croft is currently on the top of my mind.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Kurt Wieneke

Post by Kurt Wieneke »

I would have to side with the Croft. It's hard to do better in '91.
Monique Heinemans.

Post by Monique Heinemans. »

I had the Niepoort 1991, Noval 1991 and Taylor's Vargellas 1991. The Vargellas I liked most of these three. I didn't take proper notes, just wrote down some stopwords, but I remember the Niepoort being a bit to bitter to my taste and the Noval didn't seem to be fully integrated. But it was back in 2005 when I had these, so it might have been to early to drink them and give a good judgement.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Kurt Wieneke wrote:I would have to side with the Croft. It's hard to do better in '91.

'91 Croft is awesome, but I have not had many other 1991 vintages to compare. I can't think of another '91 off hand actually. Must finish coffee [help.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Over the last 4 years, or so, I have drunk 52 different bottles of 1991 port - but never the Croft 1991! Clearly I need to try and hunt some out.

In general, I find the '91s surprisingly approachable witht he Warre being particularly soft and ready. I've drunk more Morgan than any other shipper and still really enjoy that - I consistently score it in the high 80s. The most recent one I had was a couple of weeks ago and that was spot on.

So far, nothing has stood out for me in the way that there are stand-outs in certain vintages - all have been enjoyable but none have made me feel that I am in the presence of greatness.