Port Buying Recommendations

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mahmoud Ali

Port Buying Recommendations

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I've recently been offered a few ports at what appears to be a discount in Canadian terms. What if any of the following would forum members recommend, from both a quality and price perspective:

2000 Quinta do Ventazelo VP - C$40 (US$35)
2003 Quinta do Portal VP- C$40 (US$35)
2003 Fonseca VP - C$85 (US$75)
2001 Fonseca Panascal - C$50 (US$46)
1994 Quinta do Vesuvio - C$90 (US$80)

These wines were not original purchases by the seller but rather bottles bought from a store not so long ago - in other words they are not likely to be pristine, especially the older vintages. I am convinced that the Portals would be a no-brainer and the Vesuvio a rarity that should not be overlooked.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers............Mahmoud.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Port Buying Recommendations

Post by Andy Velebil »

They are all pretty good priced, given what I've heard Canada wine prices are like.

They all seem to be worth getting, though if you had to save some money to buy more of the others I'd avoid the Ventozelo.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Andy Velebil wrote:They are all pretty good priced, given what I've heard Canada wine prices are like.

They all seem to be worth getting, though if you had to save some money to buy more of the others I'd avoid the Ventozelo.
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:They are all pretty good priced, given what I've heard Canada wine prices are like.

+1
+1

Definitely get the Vesuvio. That's not a horrible price even in the US (though also not great). For Canada that's a steal!
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Mahmoud, sorry to miss you this weekend while I was in Edmonton.

On a stranger-than-fiction quip, when waiting for my luggage on the way home two hours ago, a guy walks up and says, "hi Roy Hersh, it has been a very long time. I was on your flight and noticed you."

It was Todd Pettinger, from Edmonton who used to be one of our most prolific posters here. He told me he doesn't participate anymore because, "I had to choose between Port and staying married to my wife." :scholar:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Roy,

My partner has a different attitude - I think she would choose a good port over me!

Tonight we ate out and had spicy tom yum and spicy chicken hot pots. On the way home I said a late night port would be nice but we don't have time to decant (I have a '99 Vau Vintage and a 2000 Sandeman's LBV ready to go).

She said: "What about those inexpensive LBVs we bought?"
I said: "Well we've drunk almost the entire case, all we have left is three bottles."
She said: "So?"

Popped and poured we're halfway throught the bottle.

I think I'll keep her.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote: It was Todd Pettinger, from Edmonton who used to be one of our most prolific posters here. He told me he doesn't participate anymore because, "I had to choose between Port and staying married to my wife." :scholar:
Glad he is doing well....and his reason is understandable.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Roy,

I think it was a charming encounter. I met Todd once, at the post port pizza restaurant. Then we connected on the forum and had planned to get together and compare the '94 and '95 Smith Woodhouse LBV. Despite my best intentions I ended up going overseas for a considerable length of time and we never got together.

Over the years I had wondered why he wasn't posting on the port forum and now I know. My previous post was a little glib and I do realize that. Here's hoping that he can find his way back to us in a way that is suits us all, moderately enough to keep things at home on an even keel, sufficient enough quench his thirst for port, and with the zest and enthusiasm that infected all his posts and comments.

Mahmoud
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Also, an update on the ports. I think I was mistaken about a couple of things.

The Quinta do Panascal was a 2005, not 2001. Also, there was a Fonseca Guimaraens and it was a 2001, though I cannot remember it's price, probably slightly more than the Panascal.

Thanks for the advice, it looks like I will go for the Portal and the Vesuvio and maybe one other. Would the '01 Guimaraens be a far cry better than the '05 Panascal?

Mahmoud.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

2005 was a very good year. If you run across the 2005 Croft Roeda buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Andy Velebil wrote:2005 was a very good year. If you run across the 2005 Croft Roeda buy it.
Point taken about the '05 Croft Roeda, not sure we get it here but I'll keep an eye out for it.

Are you also saying that an '05 Panascal ought to better than an '01 Guimaraens?
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

It's been a long time since I've had either so I'd have to dig through my notes . Off the top of my head iirc the 2001 panascal is generally a bit better than the 2005. But you wouldn't go wrong with either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I like Ventozelo's portfolio, so that one stuck out the most. I have not had that vintage, but would buy them in a heartbeat.

Vesuvio is a solid price indeed and classic of the vintage. Tied with Dow for Symington's best of the vintage.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Moses Botbol wrote:Vesuvio [1994] is a solid price indeed and classic of the vintage. Tied with Dow for Symington's best of the vintage.
:shock:

I haven't had them recently so maybe things have changed, but my most recent impressions (including the 4x3 tasting at Vesuvio during the 2010 Harvest Tour) would have the 1994 Dow no better than 4th from the Symingtons for that vintage behind Graham, Vesuvio, Warre, and possibly even Smith Woodhouse. It's a superb Port - I'm usually in the 92-94 range - but it's not at the top of the 1994 vintage even just amongst the Symington's releases.

1994 Vesuvio is awesome, though, and absolutely in the conversation for the best Port of the 1994 vintage (regardless of producer). Definitely undervalued compared to the other "big names" from 1994.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Mahmoud,

Hopefully Todd will come back and visit at some point. He is a great guy and I only drank with him once or twice from memory, but he posted here often and really caught the Port bug. It was great to see him, and I hope to catch you both on my next trip up to Edmonton. Nice story you told and hopefully you will be able to hook up with him and other very nice Port enthusiasts from your area that frequent the DeVine's Port gig each year.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com