Gould Campbell to be discontinued?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Thomas V

Gould Campbell to be discontinued?

Post by Thomas V »

I have read elsewhere that Charles Symington has eluded to that the Gould Campbell brand would be discontinued from the Symington Family Estate as part of future consolidation of their brands.

Have any of you with more in depth knowledge about the brand and the Symingtons heard anything about this matter and as to how, why and when this would happen?

What will the affect be on the other brands under the SFE (any other brands at risk?) and should one start buying up any Gould Campbell bottle there might be missing in ones cellar before they increase in price or become un-purchasable?
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Gould Campbell to be discontinued?

Post by Roy Hersh »

I'll let others weigh in too and will not speculate, but provide details I've been told directly by the family.

While Gould Campbell was founded in 1797, as a family run Port shipper, the grapes have always come from a variety of growers based in the Pinhão and Rio Torto areas. In 2013 this topic arose, when I questioned a couple of the Symingtons why there was no 2011 Gould Campbell at their USA (W. coast) launch of their 2011 Vintage Port lineup. I was told that they were strongly considering phasing out Gould Campbell. They felt that since GC had never been directly associated with a specific quinta of theirs, that Gould Campbell today, was just a "brand" of Port and did not progress their mission to have specific Port shippers they owned, directly linked with their own quintas. For example: Warre's Quinta da Cavadinha, Dow's Quinta do Bomfim, Cockburn's Quinta dos Canais, Graham's Quinta dos Malvedos.

I cannot give you specifics on whether or not the 2007 Gould Campbell will be the last generally declared vintage of GC. I truly hope not as it is one of my personal favorites and I can't think of a single weak vintage that this brand has ever produced. IF indeed, Gould Campbell will be disappearing, it will truly be a shame. I certainly prefer it to the likes of Quarles Harris and often times Smith Woodhouse too, albeit the latter Port house is directly associated with Quinta da Madalena in the Rio Torto Valley. Oddly enough, the Symington family that was run by James Symington at the time, purchased Gould Campbell, Smith Woodhouse and Graham's all in 1970. A little known fact that these 3 are all so recently under the Symington's control.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

To add what Roy wrote. I've basically heard the same, with the addition that they may release them in lesser years since there is no direct Quinta associated with it. The combination of things I've heard leads me to speculate they didn't really know what the future holds for it, at least back when I heard it. I don't know if there is now a firm stance one way or the other.

That said, I too hope they continue it as it does put out some fine VP's which age nicely. But I also understand the business side of having too many labels, marketing budgets/issues, importers, distributors, costs, yada, yada, yada, that comes with each individual brand within an owners portfolio. I would hope if they decide to no longer use it they would sell off the brand so someone else could carry it on, hopefully to the same standard or more.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Christian Gollnick

Post by Christian Gollnick »

I have been to several tastings where at the end of the evening a lot of people very confused and amazed that Gould Campbell was voted wine of the night, leaving the vintages from top-producers like Graham's, Taylor's and Dow behind... They are so nice to drink and often just right. It would be a real disappointment if this brand disappears. On the one side I understand that the Symingtons need to keep their brand portfolio tidy and manageable - but then I also think that such a brand brings responsibility with it. I at least wouldn't feel fine to be responsible for the extinction of a brand that is around since 1797.
Gould Campbell provides fantastic value for Vintage Ports - great wines at nice prices. I hope it stays around.
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

It would be interesting to know the status of the growers for which the Gould Campbell is normally sourced from. The rise of Douro table wine along with expiring contracts and ownership changes among the growers may make it hard to provide any consistency for the brand
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

There must be something extraordinary regarding the mixture of grapes and where they originate, since GC has so many nice vintages.
The 1983 GC vintage port is a very nice port at a stable quality. Have had three cases, and now beeing on my last bottles.

The 1977 GC vintage port was available for a period here in Norway in magnum and I purchased many of those.
They are very popular in my family and it is a tradition to have the 1977 GC magnum on the day time of the Christmas Eve while we are waiting for the dinner and gifts to be opened.

Like others I would like to know from here the grapes have been originating.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have several of those magnums too, Rune. But don't you find them too young and fruit forward? I know that may sound crazy to some, but outside of Smith Woodhouse, the 1977 GC is by far the most extracted, if not concentrated of all VPs from that year. Certainly a great Port from that vintage, but I find even the 750s are so young. Love it though.

The 1980 Gould Campbell is also a stunning Port, between the 1977 and 1983, also at the upper end of the 1980 class.

I sincerely wonder if some day this brand may be brought back to life, if someone within the next gen (or 2) of Symington family members, finds or is offered a great quinta to purchase. They could then associate that quinta with the sterling reputation already achieved by the name Gould Campbell. In fact, why not just do that now? [shrug.gif]

[yahoo.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Roy Hersh wrote:Yhey could then associate that quinta with the sterling reputation already achieved by the name Gould Campbell. In fact, why not just do that now?
If I had to guess, it would be that the answer is related to Rune's question:
Rune EG wrote:Like others I would like to know from here the grapes have been originating.
If I were a member of the Symington family and wanted to maintain the brand, I would want to do so in a way that also maintains its character. If they don't own or can no longer purchase grapes from the vineyards that it has been made from in the past, then it may not make sense to keep the brand going... for now. Of course if that changes in the future, then a revival might make sense at that future time.

As a consumer I would not want to see a sudden change in the character of Gould Campbell. That would be confusing to me.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

What if members of both Forums start a petition to have Gould Campbell remain as a Port company ... do you think we could change their mind?
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Roy Hersh wrote:What if members of both Forums start a petition to have Gould Campbell remain as a Port company ... do you think we could change their mind?
Anything is possible and we have nothing to lose from trying?

I would even make a promise to buy a couple of bottles each declared vintage year [cheers.gif]
Christian Gollnick

Post by Christian Gollnick »

Roy Hersh wrote:What if members of both Forums start a petition to have Gould Campbell remain as a Port company ... do you think we could change their mind?
I'm in!!!
John M.

Post by John M. »

Me too!
Any Port in a storm!