Favorite Recent Fonseca

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John M.

Re: Favorite Recent Fonseca

Post by John M. »

I have a 1985 only.
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Moses Botbol wrote:Al I think I have for Fonseca off hand is '77 and '85...
Up to the potential cut-off, I have 1960, 1970, 1992, 1994, 1995 (Guimaraens).
Bradley Bogdan

Favorite Recent Fonseca

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

I've got '84 (G), '85, '92, '94, '95 (G)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
Last edited by Bradley Bogdan on Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Brad

Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

What we did for the Taylor vertical IIRC is average the rough value of the bottles from all sources amongst the participants, and then balance it out from the attendees. So, for instance, if Eric brought the '60, '70, and '94, he'd get a credit back from someone like me if I brought the '84 and '95

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Moses Botbol wrote:Well we could work on doing something in Boston. Could be grand or light hearted. I could host 6-10 people and figure 1.5 bottles per person... I have enough glasses.

Al I think I have for Fonseca off hand is '77 and '85... Dow could be fun too.
1.5 bottles per person is more than we usually need... at most of the tastings we do in Seattle we have 1 bottle per person (over ~6 hours) and usually end up dumping a lot of Port that was leftover in people's glasses.

I have... from memory, so could be wrong... '63, '66, '70, '77, '85, '94. Not sure I have both of the '6x bottles.
Glenn Elliott
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Still being a Fonseca novice I have only had the 94' so that one gets my vote so far. But I plan on tasting the 85' with a reasonable future. Sounds delicate.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Glenn E. wrote:1.5 bottles per person is more than we usually need... at most of the tastings we do in Seattle we have 1 bottle per person (over ~6 hours) and usually end up dumping a lot of Port that was leftover in people's glasses.
We don't dump the good stuff. The lesser stuff ends up being dumped.

I think for the Taylor tasting we probably had more than 1 per person.

(I do have '85 as well, but didn't list that one since others have it.)
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Glenn E. wrote:
Moses Botbol wrote:Well we could work on doing something in Boston. Could be grand or light hearted. I could host 6-10 people and figure 1.5 bottles per person... I have enough glasses.

Al I think I have for Fonseca off hand is '77 and '85... Dow could be fun too.
1.5 bottles per person is more than we usually need... at most of the tastings we do in Seattle we have 1 bottle per person (over ~6 hours) and usually end up dumping a lot of Port that was leftover in people's glasses.
The tastings I have been a part of; there is never left over's and some we've planned 2 bottles per person!
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by SEAN C. »

'85 is the best by far, but I'd rather drink the 1970 (one of my all time favorites) and wait on the 1985. The '85 Fonseca may turn out to be better than the 1948!
Edward J

Post by Edward J »

SEAN C. wrote:'85 is the best by far, but I'd rather drink the 1970 (one of my all time favorites) and wait on the 1985. The '85 Fonseca may turn out to be better than the 1948!
I have yet to try one of my 1970 Fonsecas, but at twice the price of the '85's, I'm saving them for special occasions. I feel the '85 offers the best price/value ratio of any of the Fonseca VPs right now.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I had the 1970, 1977, 1985, 1994, 2000 and several other youngsters during two distinctive events in Portugal with ex-cellars bottles last month. All of the vintages listed in the previous sentence were drinking really well, although the first of two 1977s was not right. Fortunately, the follow up bottle was exceptional.

The 1994 was shockingly approachable, while the last one I had was still a bit dumb, just a few months ago. So while the 1985 and 2000 may be the greatest in terms of overall quality and durability for sure, the 1970 is already in its prime and would be my choice to drink today, as it is second to only the Nacional from that superlative vintage. The 1994 is probably next in line to drink now, at least at the moment. The 1977 is a smidge behind that when tasting side-by-side, qualitatively speaking.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

IF a vertical tasting comes about, please move it to a time in early 2017! :scholar:

I'd love to go to Boston in the winter for a weekend. I miss that city and especially their winters. No, I am not kidding. I remember the last Boston FTLOP tasting, a very deep Cockburn's horizontal hosted by Sean C. in the 2nd half of the last decade that was a ton of fun.

If Moses would host,
I'd gladly put in 2 bottles ... a well-stored 1970 Fonseca bottle from a case I bought around 1988-1989, and an older Fonseca bottle that would be added in to the mix as a stunning ringer. Also I have pretty much ever vintage since 1970, if any gaps remain open.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

I have a bottle of Fonseca 1975. And a table for 12 people.
So instead of Boston, bring Your bottle to Denmark, and we will have a Party [cheers.gif]

And the winters in Denmark, Can be beautiful :thanks:
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote:IF a vertical tasting comes about, please move it to a time in early 2017! :scholar:

I'd love to go to Boston in the winter for a weekend. I miss that city and especially their winters. No, I am not kidding. I remember the last Boston FTLOP tasting, a very deep Cockburn's horizontal hosted by Sean C. in the 2nd half of the last decade that was a ton of fun.

If Moses would host,
I'd gladly put in 2 bottles ... a well-stored 1970 Fonseca bottle from a case I bought around 1988-1989, and an older Fonseca bottle that would be added in to the mix as a stunning ringer. Also I have pretty much every vintage since 1970, if any gaps remain open.

I could host 8-12 people between two tables. Is there enough interest in coming to Boston? If there are local members, we could also do something less formal...
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

Moses Botbol wrote: I could host 8-12 people between two tables. Is there enough interest in coming to Boston? If there are local members, we could also do something less formal...
I'm local and would be interested. I don't have much of a cellar ( yet ;) ), but could round up a contribution as needed.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Moses, you should speak to Sean and plan something together. I'm in and would love to help, if we can discuss and lock in a date that works, together. :scholar:
SEAN C.

Post by SEAN C. »

Allan Engelsted Laurents wrote:I have a bottle of Fonseca 1975. And a table for 12 people.
So instead of Boston, bring Your bottle to Denmark, and we will have a Party [cheers.gif]

And the winters in Denmark, Can be beautiful :thanks:
My vote is for Fonseca in Denmark!
SEAN C.

Post by SEAN C. »

I'm in for a Fonseca tasting (my favorite Port house) however it would be nice to do it right and the older bottles are hard to come by. I think the oldest bottle I have is from 1912 but we really should go back to 1896! ...unfortunately I've never seen one for sale and the 1927 is virtually impossible to find as well. If people want to step up to the plate we could do something ridiculous but It's going to be a bit of work.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

It would be easier for me to do Dow. I have '63 1.75L I'd like to open, along with stellar '70 bottles (and a few other vintages).
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

It matters not whether it is Fonseca or Dow, I love both and would be happy to fly to Boston, participate and cost-share if we need to upgrade to a deeper vertical by buying bottles. I have some strong suggestions how to make this work, but the 3 of us should conference call on this AND choose a date that we can carve in stone, so others can lock and load. [friends.gif]