buying Warre's 1963

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

marc segers

buying Warre's 1963

Post by marc segers »

Hi guy's

I can buy Warres's 1963 for a reasenabel price, $170. Should I do that are do you think that there are better for less??

marc
Eric Menchen

Re: buying Warre's 1963

Post by Eric Menchen »

For something like that, it is all about the provenance and condition of the bottles. What do you know about them?
marc segers

Post by marc segers »

the bottles are in a very good condition and they come from a wholesaler.
marc segers

Post by marc segers »

I don't know that much about port, more about whisky and bourbon, but isn't 1963 a very good year??
A couple of years ago we did a port tasting with our whiskyclub and had port from 1936 up to 2003. vintages and aged port
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

1963, 1966, or 1970 are all lovely vintages. $170 sounds reasonable for retail.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Follow the advice of Eric, as price should not guide your purchase. Provenance is what counts most. You can pay very little money and if the bottle is terrible then that is money wasted. Personally, I'd rather spend a little more money to ensure that I am getting a bottle in excellent condition. For instance, do you know what the fill level is? Was it bottled in Porto or the U.K.? Take some time and research the company you were buying from and the specifics about the bottles storage conditions, etc., before making any investment in an old bottle of port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

marc segers wrote:the bottles are in a very good condition and they come from a wholesaler.
Just because they come from a wholesaler doesn't guarantee anything. Many will buy from the auction scene or other "secondary" places. Unless it is a late release direct from the producer, often called "ex-cellars", make sure you examine the bottle carefully for old signs of seepage, fill level, etc.

(edit: I have moved this thread to the main Forum as it is not about selling and that forum will get more views.)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
marc segers

Post by marc segers »

Hi,

these are not bottles bought at an auction or something like that. He has more then 40 bottles left in stock. He says it is bottled in 2011?? isn't that strange?
marc
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

marc segers wrote:Hi,

these are not bottles bought at an auction or something like that. He has more then 40 bottles left in stock. He says it is bottled in 2011?? isn't that strange?
marc
That is not possible. A vintage port must be bottled between the 2nd and 3rd year after the harvest by law. So in your case either in 1965 or 1966.

Unless he means that they have been re-bottled? (Have only heard about re-corcking)
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

Is it colheita?
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

marc segers wrote:Hi,

marc
It could be an ex-cellars bottle as I mentioned before. In that case it could have been re-released then with a new label/capsule/and maybe re-corked as well. Can you get a picture of the whole bottle? that would help us a lot.

If not ex-cellars, I highly doubt he's had them for the past 49 years. Which would mean he got them from somewhere else. A picture would be very helpful.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Edward J

Post by Edward J »

The 1963 Warre's was along with the 1970 Graham's selected by Symington to be released from their cellars in ....2011. Could this be one of those bottles? Perhaps. Originally released in a wooden box http://www.thevintageportsite.com/stati ... ar_VPS.JPG
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Edward J wrote:The 1963 Warre's was along with the 1970 Graham's selected by Symington to be released from their cellars in ....2011. Could this be one of those bottles? Perhaps. Originally released in a wooden box http://www.thevintageportsite.com/stati ... ar_VPS.JPG
Well, if it was one of these, that would be very interesting.
marc segers

Post by marc segers »

I'll try to get pictures and more info,

marc
SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by SEAN C. »

I've been lucky that every '63 Warre I've purchased has been very good from multiple sources over the years. I have a few cases where the bottles are packed in straw and they are excellent examples.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

In Feb. 2015, I was invited to an incredible tasting and here was my note of a 1963 Warre's in large format. The bottle came from the private collection of a Port and wine importer, (from one of the largest Port collections in the world). It was purchased in the early 1970s and never moved until the day of this tasting.

From a Tregnum of 1774.4 ml. Early on there was some bottle stink and likely this would not have been noticeable if there had been the possibility of a longer decant. Fortunately within a half hour, the mustiness blew off and an evocative mix of cranberry, black tea, truffle and prunes emerged over time. The palate was considerably better and this is a fine Vintage Port that is mature, but with a long plateau ahead; certainly from a large format bottle such as this, (but even from 750s I've had in recent times). The Warre's presents a graceful and feminine style, with lush liquid caramel intertwined with red fruits well into their secondary phase, charming and intricate. Medium-bodied and seductively smooth, offering a wonderful texture and persistent multifaceted finish that provides the wow factor. This is a gorgeous 1963 VP! 92 points
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com