Fladgate to build 100M Euro tourist attraction in Porto

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Thomas V

Fladgate to build 100M Euro tourist attraction in Porto

Post by Thomas V »

Actually the headline is misleading. It will be build just below the Yeatman in Vila nova de Gaia where Fladgate currently has a bunch of empty warehouses.

I sure hope they hire an architect that has a sense of what Porto, Vila Nova de Gaia and the port trade represents and will ensure that the new buildings fit into the current architecture and history of Port(o).

It sure does seem like the port trade really is investing heavily in to oenotourism these years which is both good and bad. I hope this focus it will not end up just being a money machine without respect for the past, the trade, the farmers and the wine.

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2016/ ... -in-porto/
Frederick Blais

Re: Fladgate to build 100M Euro tourist attraction in Porto

Post by Frederick Blais »

links seems to be bugged for now... I was also told Fladgate would invest and increase the rooms capacity of the Yeathman by another 24 rooms. Porto tourism was crazy this year. I tell you, in August and September I DID NOT HAVE FUN in Porto, way too many people. October was better but in the center still sooooo crowded! Word got around, the city is filling those empty appartments while the streets are still small and unorganized, leading to chaos and traffic in those areas. Friends living in the old center are thinking leaving, it takes them 30 mins everyday to get off the trafic.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Jasper A.

Post by Jasper A. »

I am doubting if it is a good or bad thing. I like the charm of Porto and the Douro and that migt be spoiled by to much tourism. On the otherside a nice attraction about Port is always good.

For example I live in The Netherlands, but i won't go to Amsterdam. It is spoiled by tourism.
Christian Gollnick

Post by Christian Gollnick »

Well... I am a very conservative guy... All the changes in the Port Wine industry since 1880 have been very much suspect to me and I would prefer that Dona Antonia would still be reigning. So whenever somebody says that he or she will remodel an old building, my heart immediately shouts "NOOOO!!! Don't make it too modern..!!!"
But have you guys been this summer at the newly remodeled Taylor's lodge? It's just amazing, and in my view this is now the best tour available for tourists interested in Port Wine. Amazing audio tour; you walk on your own through the lodge; I took hundreds of photos on my own time. Afterwards, really good wines are available for tasting. So, yes, while I still love places like Graham's and Ramos Pinto, I think Taylor's has really landed a home-run in Gaia. Also Quinta da Roeda, the visitor center in the Douro, has really nicely been remodeled. Therefore I'm not afraid that we will get something ugly or too modern looking from this project. I'm sure it will be done with taste and respect for the Port Trade and its traditions.
I am just amazed about all the projects that SFE and TFP have done over the last years. Now Mario Ferreira (not our's - the other one from Douro Azul...) has somehow gotten an exclusive right to use the Tua-Valley (or something to this regard, I haven't yet read exactly what it's about) and to run a train in that part of the world.
While the tourism in Portugal was always kind of amateurish and fragmented, we see now big players with big money coming in. I'm fine with it - as long as there is still the "other" tourism available. I want to sit in the Douro Valley in a little cafe and have a chat with the village people and hear their stories and visit their private adegas. But there are many people that don't have that time or passion - they want a "Disney-like" product and it's good if it is around.

We here at FTLOP have unofficially sworn an oath to promote Port - and I think what the TFP is doing will be great. This will bring Port Wine better into the public focus than any other project before... If they are right with 1 million tourists (which I don't see yet, but who knows) then we might soon face another problem: a shortage of Port. Of course "these" people start their Port lives with White Dry and Rubies... so that doesn't impact us a lot when they take a few bottles of that stuff home. However, in a few years they will want the better quality Port - and then, when they go after the 40 year old or my 1966 Vintage Port - well, then we will see a completely new price level...
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

So Mr. Bridge finally made this public. Excellent!

At least now there can be discussions on this great project. [friends.gif]

The aggressiveness with new projects by TFP is really impressive. It doesn't take a genius to see that Mr. Bridge seeks to capitalize on the tourism wave which is now full steam ahead in Porto, Gaia and the Douro. In speaking with several real estate folks in Porto, the housing market and innate pricing has increased dramatically in the past five years and exponentially in the past 2-3. I'd be lying if I did not mention that both "experts" that I spoke with are concerned with outside capital and new residents pouring in from other Euro zone countries ... and their fear of the possibility of a bubble burst, a bit down the road. It could all just be conspiracy theory at best. [cheers.gif]

But let's focus on the positives and that includes how quickly, quietly and boldly The Fladgate Partnership is moving. I'll let someone else fill in the proper time frames, (as my list of projects is not sequential) if they so choose, but I'll mention what has taken place in recent times:

First the Yeatman Hotel came into being, the 100% procurement of Krohn and partial acquirement of Real Companhia Velha ... although mostly a real estate deal, makes more sense to the naked eye nowadays. These major achievements were followed by construction of a bright, beautiful and brand spanking new visitor's center at Croft's Quinta da Roeda, then the re-purchase and initial renovation of The Vintage House Hotel almost took place simultaneously, or so it seemed. A quick and significant coup: the acquisition of the Infante de Sagres Hotel in Porto with a renovation coming soon; next up was a full on remodel of the Taylor's Port lodge visitor center -- a real game changer for this Gaia-based property.

Now this new and futuristic project that will capture the hearts and minds of the Port loving public and sibling city's tourists, alike. Very impressive to say the least. Those who take risks usually win, even if there is an occasional loss of an occasional match. But if you're not in the expansion game ... you better innovate from within or lose the chess match.

Anyway, I hope to see two existing entities within the Fladgate's empire receive more attention. The dining room, food, wine and service at the Barao Fladgate Restaurant needs to be brought into this millennium especially since it resides next door to the Yeatman. As if this was redone, Yeatman guests would have another stellar dining option and room with a view just a few dozen meters away. Secondly, while the dining room esthetic and wine offerings are ample at the Vintage House Hotel in the heart of Pinhão; the food and service would truly benefit from significant upgrades, imho! :scholar:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Christian Gollnick

Post by Christian Gollnick »

Picking up this old thread... TFP has now given some more details about the project. I love the drawing of how Gaia will look in the future (while the fact that some lodges have to get demolished are making of course my heart bleeding.. but I heard these are buildings that are anyhow nearly falling apart).

I am looking so much forward to this project... I feel that it will be amazing. Opening is supposed to be in June 2020. 350 permanent jobs will be created when it's open. I really hope that the current spirit of Gaia will be maintained.

http://www.harpers.co.uk/news/fullstory ... _Wine.html

For the Portuguese speaking, here are two more links:
http://www.publituris.pt/2017/06/12/vil ... d-of-wine/
https://www.dinheirovivo.pt/empresas/ga ... a-de-gaia/
Svein CE

Post by Svein CE »

Anybody wondering why Port is getting more expensive?
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

For anyone visiting Gaia, there is an exhibition on the World of Wine project in the Croft lodge.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Al B. wrote:For anyone visiting Gaia, there is an exhibition on the World of Wine project in the Croft lodge.
Some very nice historical pictures to look at. Worth the small €5 to get in (and you get a voucher for a free glass of port after too)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Andy Velebil wrote:...and you get a voucher for a free glass of port after too...
That sounds good. What kind of port? Croft 1896? :stir:
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Al B. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:...and you get a voucher for a free glass of port after too...
That sounds good. What kind of port? Croft 1896? :stir:
I had to catch a boat so I skipped it as I ran out after. I do think it was some light ruby something or other. :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com