Christmas and New Years Port traditions

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Thomas V

Christmas and New Years Port traditions

Post by Thomas V »

Hello fellow port lovers.

We are in the high season for drinking port with Christmas and New Years approaching fast on the horizon. ( I hope you have done your Christmas shopping well ahead of time to avoid the masses and a sudden onset of an anxiety attack. ) It is getting quite chilly outside, at least so in Denmark and being cosy in front of a warm fire place with candles lit while sipping on a glass of port is a soothing remedy for the soul in these dark and short days.

I am really keen on hearing what kind of traditions you have started or follow as to drinking port during the holidays? Do you drink a white port for aperitif, a young vintage or LBV for the main course or indulge in a mature colheita in the aftermath of dining? Or all of the above? :winepour:

Are you always the provider of the ports or do other in your family and friends chime in with bringing new and exciting bottles for the gatherings? Which types of ports are most popular amongst your peers and is there a certain special bottle that you are intent on trying out this season?

For my family I am the provider and keep will keep it very simple on Christmas and serve a 20YO Quinta da Javali Tawny Port, which is very delicious albeit a bit expensive for a 20YO. My family and friends are mostly into the Tawny category and I want to make sure they try this treat. For New Years I am thinking I will open a Quinta do Crasto 2011 LBV which is amazing. [cheers.gif]

I have also made a promise for myself and that is to try a proper Madeira this year. I have my eyes set on a 1983 D'Oliveira Boal Vintage Madeira and maybe I will have it home in time for tasting it this year.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone on :ftlop:
John M.

Re: Christmas and New Years Port traditions

Post by John M. »

I always bring the port and the selection varies from year to year---usually a VP and one of my best. It's served after dinner with desserts (yes, plural!) or even later. Oddly, participation varies widely from year to year. One year brought a 1970 Graham and about 20 wanted some so all small pours. The next year I brought 2 bottles, a nice VP and an Old White and only a few had any (so I had a very nice few days after Christmas!).

This year, I am bringing a 1975 Kopke Colheita. On Mother's Day we were at a restaurant and they had Grahams 30 Year which was fantastic....and my Uncle said I have to top it and bring a 40.

New Years is usually an LBV, something casual given the party atmosphere....and if leftovers something nice to drink while watching football.
Any Port in a storm!
Bert VD

Post by Bert VD »

i will open a recently acquired magnum of Noval 1985 LBV. maybe i'll have something else as a backup ready :P
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Bert,

If the Noval LBV is not even as good as the fully mature and modestly drinkable VP, I would certainly have a back up ready!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

New Year's will probably be a modest Champagne after a lot of different beers. For Christmas I'll probably open at least one VP and maybe something else ...

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Jasper A.

Post by Jasper A. »

I am thinking about serving a 1985 Fonseca VP and maybe 1965 Kopke Colheita or a Dalva Golden White with dessert. Hmm i also have a Van Zeller 30 year old tawny left, maybe for the afternoon [cheers.gif]
Gerwin de Graaf

Post by Gerwin de Graaf »

I have two bottles on standby, I will decide on the last moment (Christmas morning):
1963 Avery VP
Quevedo 30 yo white port
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Gerwin de Graaf wrote:I have two bottles on standby, I will decide on the last moment (Christmas morning):
1963 Avery VP
Quevedo 30 yo white port
Or be a little bit crazy and open both? As the 2nd one being a white could stay open for a few days [yahoo.gif]

Jasper A. wrote:I am thinking about serving a 1985 Fonseca VP and maybe 1965 Kopke Colheita or a Dalva Golden White with dessert. Hmm i also have a Van Zeller 30 year old tawny left, maybe for the afternoon [cheers.gif]
Those sounds absolutely delicious all 3 of them. Haven't tasted any of them, though I own 1 Fonseca 85. However reading inhere, I do not think I will open it for at least 10 years but knowing you are in the trade you probably have more than one available.

Eric Menchen wrote:New Year's will probably be a modest Champagne after a lot of different beers. For Christmas I'll probably open at least one VP and maybe something else ...
You are right. New Years, if you are at a larger party, isn't the best fit to open a really nice port. Most people wont be able to appreciate it, which is why I will bring a low cost one as the 2011 Crasto LBV. If we had a smaller gathering with focus on food and wine, well that is another story entirely. What champagne are you going for?
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

Simple tradition here; I open a Croft '70 for Xmas each year. Last year I wanted a Tawny as well to give friends the choice, so opened a Krohn '76. Croft, Krohn, Christmas (no Cruz, sorry!).
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Thomas V wrote:You are right. New Years, if you are at a larger party, isn't the best fit to open a really nice port. Most people wont be able to appreciate it, which is why I will bring a low cost one as the 2011 Crasto LBV. If we had a smaller gathering with focus on food and wine, well that is another story entirely. What champagne are you going for?
Perhaps a magnum of Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin or Philippe Prié Tradition. I'm thinking of hosting a focused wine dinner in early January. Then I'll bring out older VP, after starting with something like Krug or La Grande Dame.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

For Christmas, I will be with my wife's family in Michigan and they are more into drinking beer than wine. However, they do seem to really like the Ports I've opened in prior Christmas' so I'll likely bring a 1999 Smith Woodhouse LBV and maybe a 1987 Souza VP, which is drinking nicely. We are still figuring out NYE, so no decisions, yet.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Most of my family are, for the most part, non-drinkers except for some of the younger generation who drink beer. So I generally don't take wine/Port to our family gathering. I usually open something the day before or after, depending on work of course. Not sure what I'll open this year as I've not thought about it as of yet. When I do I'll be sure to report back.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Andy Velebil wrote:Most of my family are, for the most part, non-drinkers except for some of the younger generation who drink beer. So I generally don't take wine/Port to our family gathering. I usually open something the day before or after, depending on work of course. Not sure what I'll open this year as I've not thought about it as of yet. When I do I'll be sure to report back.
I think it quite possibly could be Quinta do Vesuvio time Andy [cheers.gif]
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

a friend of mine makes Glugg, a Scandenavian mulled wine punch, every year and uses Port for its base. i'm trying to find an inexpensive Ruby to use rather than the $15 jug of American Taylor he uses. Quevedo Ruby is on sale for $8 from $13 right now but i had to order two bottles to be transferred from the other side of the state! i don't know whether i missed it and it sold out over here or if we didn't get it.
they may not get here in time so i may try to find Cockburn or Savory&James, which are all i've seen lately.
cliburn
Location: Minnetonka, Minnesota, United States of America - USA

Post by cliburn »

This is my thought on the matter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlE53UUUwew

I just finished up the last bottle of a case of 1989 Quinta do Bomfim. Lots of bottle variation, but happy to say that the last was best. Integrated and smooth, alcohol did not dominate. Will move on to something better tonight.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

cliburn wrote:This is my thought on the matter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlE53UUUwew

I just finished up the last bottle of a case of 1989 Quinta do Bomfim. Lots of bottle variation, but happy to say that the last was best. Integrated and smooth, alcohol did not dominate. Will move on to something better tonight.
Did it "...race through your veins..."? :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

Most years, I just end up hoping I get a cool enough night to consider opening a port. It certainly didn't happen for Christmas day this year but the forecast for New Years is looking a bit cooler. It won't be anything too special, but I do have a Grahams 2011 LBV that I am keen to test drive.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Scheiny S wrote:a friend of mine makes Glugg, a Scandenavian mulled wine punch, every year and uses Port for its base. i'm trying to find an inexpensive Ruby to use rather than the $15 jug of American Taylor he uses. Quevedo Ruby is on sale for $8 from $13 right now but i had to order two bottles to be transferred from the other side of the state! i don't know whether i missed it and it sold out over here or if we didn't get it.
they may not get here in time so i may try to find Cockburn or Savory&James, which are all i've seen lately.
A few friendly pointers.

The original wording is Glögg which is a Swedish word (In Danish Gløgg and Glühwein in German)

The word Glögg roughly translated means "Wine with a glow" and originally had a very low alcohol percentage. Over the years that has changed and more spices are also being added to the mixture and the wine of today does no longer have much traces back to the original.

A from scratch Danish recipe:

Glögg Essence
1 bottle of strong red wine
250 g brown sugar
20g cinnamon stick
20g whole allspice
20g whole clove
10g whole cardamom
½ star anise

Pour the red wine into a pot and add the spices. Slowly heat up the essence and keep it under 70 C or the alcohol will evaporate. Let is cool of in the pot and sift out the spices after it has cooled down

For the Glögg itself soak the raisins (4 dl of raisins) with 3 dl of ruby port 24 hours a head of time.

Glögg
Glögg essence that was previously made
1.5 liter strong red wine
2 dl brown rum
2 dl snaps
peel from 1 orange
2 dl fresh orange juice
100g of chopped almonds (skinless)
port and raisin mixture

Shortly before your guests arrive mix in the remaining ingredients with the Glögg essence again keep it under the boil. Finally add in the raisin and port mixture together with the chopped almonds.

Serve it up and enjoy.
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Ever since joining FTLOP in 2006 I bring the vp to all family gatherings
Last edited by Luc Gauthier on Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

Thomas V wrote:
Scheiny S wrote:a friend of mine makes Glugg, a Scandenavian mulled wine punch, every year and uses Port for its base. i'm trying to find an inexpensive Ruby to use rather than the $15 jug of American Taylor he uses. Quevedo Ruby is on sale for $8 from $13 right now but i had to order two bottles to be transferred from the other side of the state! i don't know whether i missed it and it sold out over here or if we didn't get it.
A few friendly pointers.

The original wording is Glögg which is a Swedish word (In Danish Gløgg and Glühwein in German)

The word Glögg roughly translated means "Wine with a glow" and originally had a very low alcohol percentage. Over the years that has changed and more spices are also being added to the mixture and the wine of today does no longer have much traces back to the original.

A from scratch Danish recipe:

Glögg Essence
1 bottle of strong red wine
250 g brown sugar
20g cinnamon stick
20g whole allspice
20g whole clove
10g whole cardamom
½ star anise

Pour the red wine into a pot and add the spices. Slowly heat up the essence and keep it under 70 C or the alcohol will evaporate. Let is cool of in the pot and sift out the spices after it has cooled down

For the Glögg itself soak the raisins (4 dl of raisins) with 3 dl of ruby port 24 hours a head of time.

Glögg
Glögg essence that was previously made
1.5 liter strong red wine
2 dl brown rum
2 dl snaps
peel from 1 orange
2 dl fresh orange juice
100g of chopped almonds (skinless)
port and raisin mixture

Shortly before your guests arrive mix in the remaining ingredients with the Glögg essence again keep it under the boil. Finally add in the raisin and port mixture together with the chopped almonds.

Serve it up and enjoy.
thank you! i'll pass this along.