first port with your significant other

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Luc Gauthier

first port with your significant other

Post by Luc Gauthier »

I'll start off :
SW 1994 on new years eve 2017 :winepour:
Dow 1996 new years day :winebath:
Of course your significant other could be another bottle of vintage port
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Scheiny S

Re: first port with your significant other

Post by Scheiny S »

i introduced my last boyfriend to Port. i don't recall whether it was with Fonseca bin 27 or Sandeman Founder's Reserve. i always introduce people with one of those.
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Lbv's are also a good intro to the port world .
Not as expensive as a VP and no decant needed unless it is unfiltered :scholar:
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I had no need to introduce my significant other to port. Before I met her she went on a six month truck and camping trip across Africa and the bottle she took in her backpack was a bottle of Sandeman's LBV. It so happened that on the same adventure trip was the brother of David Guimaraens and son of Bruce Guimaraens, Chris Guimaraens. When he heard about the port she was carrying he told her his family was involved in the port trade. Fast forward many years, at a Fonseca tasting in Edmonton, Bruce Guimaraens officially declared the 2000 vintage. We related to him the story of my significant other travelling with his son and Bruce said he membered "young Christopher" going on an Aftrican trip.

Continuing with this serendipity, a few years later I stumbled across four bottles of the 2000 Fonseca VP for about C$55 each. Naturally enough I pounced on them and upon returning home I said to her "Honey, I just spent $200 on some wine". She said "What did you buy?" "Some Fonseca Port" I replied. To which she said "That's okay".

My significant other needed no introduction to port and it is always welcome in our household. I wish everyone was as lucky as I am.

Cheers ....................... Mahmoud.