Tawny newcomer ISO new short-term relationship!

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike C
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States of America - USA

Tawny newcomer ISO new short-term relationship!

Post by Mike C »

Hello all,

Last night my fiancee took us out to a Pocas vertical tasting. We sampled everything from your basic Ruby up to a '64 Colheita Tawny. We preferred the 1967 to the 64. Both featured an almost Scotch-like, teasingly smoky resonance on the back of the palate, and a great, honey-textured pour and mouth feel, but the '67 seemed to be more composed somehow, better balanced between alcohol and sugar, better structured.

Lisa liked it so much that I decided to get some for our wedding in May. While I can find my way around a virtual Vintage or LBV aisle, I'm quite a newbie when it comes to Tawnys. What would be some comparable - or better - Tawny Colheitas? My budget for this is in the low $hundreds.

Also, if this were one of our vintage ports, I'd plan to open it for family and friends the day before, enjoy some that night, and then finish on the wedding day. Can I treat a Tawny like this? Additionally, we'll be in Charleston SC, where daytime temps will reach the 80s. Will the wine improve, or at least endure, for a two-night stand with this plan?

Thanks for your wisdom and insights! - Mike [cheers.gif]
Eric Ifune

Re: Tawny newcomer ISO new short-term relationship!

Post by Eric Ifune »

Welcome to the world of wood aged Port.
Not sure what labels are available in your area, but 1967 had some excellent Colheitas. The Noval is stupendous, but probably much more expensive. If you can find any leftover 1967 or 1976 Krohn, that might fit your bill. Kopke and Niepoort are other fine labels. A good bottle of Tawny or Colheita will certainly last over a couple of days. You might put it in the fridge between tastes and let it warm up beforehand.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Kopke and Taylor both have releases from the 1960s that are exceptional and should fit your budget. Noval has some as well, but as Eric said they might be more expensive.

A tawny that has spent 40+ years in wood will easily last a month once opened, especially if refrigerated. You'll have nothing to worry about if all you want to do is hold it overnight, though in 80-degree weather I'd definitely put it in the fridge overnight. That's just so that it will be cool to drink the next day, not to preserve it.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I love vintage Port, but given your recent appreciation for wood-aged Port combined with a wedding in South Carolina at that time of year, I recommend you stick with tawnies/colheitas. Glenn and Eric have provided you with good advice as well.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

It may be easier to let us know what is available around you (or wherever you can get them from) then we can point out some favorites or better ones.

Regardless, tawny's are nice in the warmer months because you can put them in the fridge, chill them down, then enjoy them as they warm up.

And congrats on the upcoming wedding.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike C
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States of America - USA

Post by Mike C »

Thanks gentlemen for the advice. Shopping now! We'll have a nice time for sure.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Andy's right, let us know what you have in the local market and we can make some suggestions. A few names that are pretty consistently excellent that are easily available in the USA are: KOPKE, NIEPOORT, KROHN (although becoming less easy to find), to name just a few.

Best wishes for your upcoming wedding! :winepour: :winebath:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com