Massandra Red Port 1903 - in need of translation help

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andreas Platt

Massandra Red Port 1903 - in need of translation help

Post by Andreas Platt »

Hi there!

So out of curiosity I had to pull the trigger when this bottle showed up at auction.

Now I know what bottle it is: 1903 AI-DANIL RED PORT.

But what makes me curious is the glass seal that is attachted to the bottle and has the emporer's eagle and some letters on it.

Anyone out there who can help me out on that?

Only thing I could figure out is: Его Величества...His Majesty

Thanks so much and greetings
Attachments
IMG_5317.JPG
IMG_5317.JPG (900.15 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
IMG_5313.JPG
IMG_5313.JPG (1.08 MiB) Viewed 1032 times
1903.jpg
1903.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 1032 times
Will W.

Re: Massandra Red Port 1903 - in need of translation help

Post by Will W. »

It is likely the Russian imperial cipher, given the cyrillic, but could also be Serbian, which is (or rather was) similar. If you are able (or willing) to clear some of the dust away from the lettering for another photograph, I might be able to get you a translation.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Massandra Collection bottles definitely were Russian. I've only had 1945 and it was quite awhile ago and have posted my TN from 2003. It provides much more info. These were closely held back in the day and were only put on the open market in more recent times, from my understanding.

1945 Livadia Massandra Collection Massandra Collection Vintage Port
Made from Portuguese grape varieties before the roots were ripped out from the great Crimean palace of Czar Nicholas II in Russia. Ruby-pink with a bricking rim this looked to me like another '55 Vintage Port or possibly a weaker '63 entry. Brad Kane nailed this wine blind although I am not sure he has even had the wine before. Anyway, great call Brad! The wine was so very smooth and showed some anise and eucalyptus on the nose. Very light-bodied which had me question whether this was actually Portuguese but who would have ever guessed Russia except for Brad. Hollow mid-palate and the finish was not all that long either, were my only criticisms. Otherwise, very well balanced and a unique experience. (2003-11-23)
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Massandra definitely was Russian, then it became Ukrainian, and now it is Russian again. I don't think you can say that for any other winery.

Mahmoud.
Frank Martell

Post by Frank Martell »

Hi Folks,

Roy brought this thread to my attention and I thought I'd chime in. The seal and the unusual bottle shape indicate that this bottle was part of the Collection of the Emperor's House of the Romanovs, and that makes this bottle, very, very special. This wine was specifically made to be poured at an official political or diplomatic event. That also means, in turn, that it was probably kept at one of the Czar's private holds, and in all likelihood, his summer palace at Livadia.

As for the juice itself, this is the highest quality wine in the whole group of red ports produced at Massandra. In those days the wine would have been made almost 100% from Mourvedre but it could include a dash of Cabernet or Morastel. Alcohol content is 18.4% and sugar clocks in a 5.9%.

Winemaker's notes:
The wine is clear, deep tawny with an amber hue. The bright, complex bouquet has preserved a clear flavor of beautiful port with refined tint from long, long bottle aging. The palate of the wine is harmonious, full, spicy, with a delicious flavor of cinnamon and ripe pears.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Frank
Thanks for the history of this, very fascinating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Andreas,

I asked my friend Frank M. to join in this discussion as he is one of the world's top experts on Massandra Collection wines and ports. He also runs the fine and rare wine division for an auction house. He has visited the cellars in Russia and his knowledge on the topic of Massandra, is epic.

You have an extraordinary bottle in your possession! :NotWorthy:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frank Martell

Post by Frank Martell »

Dear All,

The conversation continued between Andreas and I, and we thought perhaps you might find the added history of the wine to be interesting. Here is the whole conversation we had offline, to be read from bottom to top:

[What you paid] for this bottle is an absolute steal. I would have paid five times that if I was in acquisition mode. This bottle is among the most important examples of its kind.

Further to the point, the "191" written on the back of the bottle has a very interesting story to tell. During WWII there was genuine concern that Hitler might try to invade Crimea because it's location on the sea has such a military advantage. In order to preserve the legacy of Massandra, they took the most important wines and moved them to a hiding place. They didn't have time to label them all, so every bottle was given a number in chalk to identify the bin from which it had been removed, and in turn, the vintage and type.

Specific to the condition of the bottle, that patina does not have any impact on value, but I wouldn't remove that number - it's a part of history. The cracked wax capsule and modest seepage also don't really trouble me because those wines are virtually indestructible. In fact, before it was sold and shipped, they would have opened and tasted the wine to verify quality and then installed a brand new cork. If you lay it down and it starts seeping more heavily then I would find a reason to drink it, but my suspicion is that if left undisturbed, the wine will actually seal up inside the cork and will remain healthy. I would certainly not store the wine standing up. Massandra corks are very short and will dry out if left standing for too long.

Finally, I wouldn't remotely consider sending this bottle back to Massandra for reconditioning. First of all, I don't think they have anything like this in the reserves, but moreover, the winery is now firmly under the control of Putin. He has absolutely no regard for you or your collecting. I believe that bottle would be confiscated as property of the state. To highlight the point, the former director general of Massandra is in exile because Putin's regime raised charges of money laundering, stealing state property, etc - all related to the lawful sale of these gems while under the control of Ukraine.

There were three bottles of 1775 Frontera Jerez Sherry that had been with the winery since the early 1800s. Putin and Berlusconi flew down to Yalta and drank one almost immediately after the Crimean peninsula was annexed. There is no reason to believe or hope that he cares enough about these wines to ever allow such a thing to escape Russia again. After three visits to the winery and comprehensive tastings of nearly the entire catalog, I think I've almost certainly had more Massandra than anybody in the United States, and quite possibly, anybody in the world outside the winery itself. It causes me no small amount of sadness to believe that those experiences are over.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/wor ... e26439413/

Frank

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2017 12:16 PM
To: Martell, Frank - 1753 <[email protected]>
Cc: Roy
Subject: AW: Automatic reply: potential wine consignment

Dear Frank!

Thanks so much for your efforts & feedback!!!

First of all please tell your Massandra friends my thankfulness - I took some additional (resolution- and lightwise lousy but from an illustrational point of view acceptable) pictures from the bottle - on the back side it has a number "191" or "161", maybe of interest.

Secondly - and I hope not to be unreasonable but I'm afraid it may seem so...

Can you please let me know your advice (from a connaiseur's & an auctioneer's point of view)

i) on the fact that the bottle is genuinely dirty (as can seen) if I should clean it up? (then all the patina will be gone and it will "just" be an old shaped bottle)
ii) since the seal is broken a little bit and
iii) it is leaking a tiny bit and
iv) the ullage level is at where it is (see picture) if I should just leave the bottle as it is and store it upright in my cellar or if I should try to arrange for recorking? Would Massandra provide such a service or would they immediatly confiscate such a bottle (I have heard about the diplomatic complications for Massandra).

Sorry to bother.

BTW (and since Roy asked) I paid [redacted] for that bottle, which seemed reasonable 4 me.

Thanks for taking your precious time and hopefully we could set up a meeting when I'm in Palm Springs...probably May...I would take a bottle of Madeira with me...for educational purposes we could open that ;-)

Many greetings

Andy

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Martell, Frank - 1753 [mailto:[email protected]]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 09. März 2017 20:31
An: Andreas Platt
Cc: Roy
Betreff: RE: Automatic reply: potential wine consignment

I have word from a friend at Massandra. My memory has served me well and this particular seal does indicate that the wine was made for the Czar's summer palace at Livadia:

Top of the seal- Livadiya (Ливадия)
The Livadia Palace, built in 1910-11, is now a museum. It was formerly a summer palace of the last Russian Imperial family. In 1945, it served as the meeting place of the Yalta Conference and residence of Franklin Delano Roosevelt during the Conference.
Seal - Double Head Eagle (symbol of the Russian Empire) Bottom of the seal - имение Его Величества- estate of His Highest Court, or estate of His Majesty

It's a very special wine. I wish I had such in my own collection! Though, I must admit, it would not be there for very long before a beautiful empty glass vessel adorned my mantle.

Frank
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Great history!