2015 Vintage Declarations

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Thomas V

Re: 2015 Vintage Declarations

Post by Thomas V »

Added Quinta de la Rosa.
Christian Gollnick

Post by Christian Gollnick »

Roy Hersh wrote:Some very well connected individuals felt that there are other reasons that 2015 is now being tossed aside. Conspiracy theorists!
Okay... it's time to come clean... It's my fault. My granddaughter Isabel was born in 2016. When the Port Trade found out they of course decided that all major brands should declare 2016 instead of 2015 to celebrate the arrival of Princess Isabel. Sorry, 2015... you never had a chance.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

So far, I've been in touch with over 55 producers that I believed would be declaring at least their SQVPs. One admitted failing the IVDP tasting panel and has put in for an appeal. One well known Single Quinta has said they have no plan to release a 2015 and another small Single Quinta said the same.

The balance will send samples to arrive over the next day or two. From the ones who were willing to "elaborate" about the vintage, or make it obvious by what they are releasing with 2015s; about 60% clearly prefer 2016 compared to 2015, including the two above who said they're not releasing 2015s. It will be interesting to see at this time next year, which producers will be releasing 2016 too, using a back-to-back strategy as the lines blur further with old 3x per decade mindset. There are still some that are clearly in the camp of traditional general declarations though.

All in all there will be about 50+ different VP bottlings of 2015 released, but I believe my tastings will only include 40 or so. I will at least provide the number, when I see what actually shows up as promised.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:So far, I've been in touch with over 55 producers that I believed would be declaring at least their SQVPs. One admitted failing the IVDP tasting panel and has put in for an appeal. One well known Single Quinta has said they have no plan to release a 2015 and another small Single Quinta said the same.

The balance will send samples to arrive over the next day or two. From the ones who were willing to "elaborate" about the vintage, or make it obvious by what they are releasing with 2015s; about 60% clearly prefer 2016 compared to 2015, including the two above who said they're not releasing 2015s. It will be interesting to see at this time next year, which producers will be releasing 2016 too, using a back-to-back strategy as the lines blur further with old 3x per decade mindset. There are still some that are clearly in the camp of traditional general declarations though.

All in all there will be about 50+ different VP bottlings of 2015 released, but I believe my tastings will only include 40 or so. I will at least provide the number, when I see what actually shows up as promised.
As I've said for quite some time, this was a problematic harvest for many and as time is progressing those issues are obviously starting to show for a number of producers. No doubt some stellar stuff will be made, but that is far more dependent on where ones grapes were located and when they were picked.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Andy,

When you come to PT are you going to be doing any 2015 specific tastings?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

As promised:

Today I received 66 bottles, 36 of which were distinct 2015 VPs. As far as I can tell at the moment, my 2nd delivery should contain another 8-13 more samples ... or somewhere between 42 and 49 different 2015s.

I am glad that's all there is going to be coming!

The first of many tastings begins tomorrow early a.m.!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:Andy,

When you come to PT are you going to be doing any 2015 specific tastings?
Yes
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

This may be the first time in FTLOP history that Andy was kept to a single word response. [yahoo.gif] I knew it was possible to make that happen. :lol:

But now comes the challenge:

Please pay close attention to the color of the Ports you drink. [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:This may be the first time in FTLOP history that Andy was kept to a single word response. [yahoo.gif] I knew it was possible to make that happen. :lol:

But now comes the challenge:

Please pay close attention to the color of the Ports you drink. [cheers.gif]
Hahahaha. Was hoping you'd catch that!

I had not heard about color extraction issues but will make sure I take extra note of that.

I have heard of issues related the actual maturation of the grapes themselves. Curious to hear how, overall, you feel of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

In person.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Roy Hersh wrote:In person.
That could be a very long conversation. Give him a glass or two of Port and he won't be using one word answers!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:In person.
That was two words. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Roy Hersh wrote:All in all there will be about 50+ different VP bottlings of 2015 released, but I believe my tastings will only include 40 or so. I will at least provide the number, when I see what actually shows up as promised.
Could you let us know which VP's that you are currently tasting? Also when you expect to release your overall impressions about this "talked" about vintage year and naturally your taste notes and recommendations?

Take good care of your teeth and enjoy your time in Portugal. Hope to me you there in person some day [friends.gif]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

In the first week of July, upon returning home, I will be happy to list the 45-50 Ports that I have evaluated. Until then, please be patient.

More info to come at that time and not before. Thanks for understanding.
Jasper A.

Post by Jasper A. »

The Graham's The Stone Terraces just arrived. Neat little box!
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Jasper A. wrote:The Graham's The Stone Terraces just arrived. Neat little box!
Looks like each bottle is individually numbered. I do like to see that on a limited production port.
Jasper A.

Post by Jasper A. »

Al B. wrote:Looks like each bottle is individually numbered. I do like to see that on a limited production port.
Yes they are, up to number 4.800. I like it as well, shows how "rare" the vintage port is.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Added

S. Leonardo
Vallado
Van Zellers
Jasper A.

Post by Jasper A. »

Thomas V wrote:Added

S. Leonardo
Vallado
Van Zellers
You can add Kopke Sao Luiz to the list
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Jasper A. wrote:You can add Kopke Sao Luiz to the list
Good stuff Jasper. I have added them as well.

Cheers