Should I buy?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mahmoud Ali

Re: Should I buy?

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Scheiny S wrote:
Mahmoud Ali wrote:I've been drinking lots of the Bin 27 recenty as it was discounted to C$11 and we've been drinking it like water
i would, too! i wish i could find it for that cheap! i would always have a bottle in my bag and become the Port fairy!
Unfortunately that will be the last of it. Initially I bought two bottles of Bin 27 packaged in a special tin canister that were on clearance. Weeks later when I passed by the store again they had eight bottles on the shelf with the same price, this time with minature bottles of Fonseca 10 Year Tawny attached to the neck (50ml). This was an even better deal! When I got to the till it rang in at C$30, apparently the regular price, so I demurred. When asked, I told them what I had seen on the price tag and had assumed they still on sale. After checking she said that it was new stock and should have been re-priced but that I could have the eight bottles for the tagged price. I said that she didn't have to sell them to me as I understand that mistakes can happen but she was undeterred. Happy, happy, as they say.

Mahmoud.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:
Scheiny S wrote:
Mahmoud Ali wrote:I've been drinking lots of the Bin 27 recenty as it was discounted to C$11 and we've been drinking it like water
i would, too! i wish i could find it for that cheap! i would always have a bottle in my bag and become the Port fairy!
Unfortunately that will be the last of it. Initially I bought two bottles of Bin 27 packaged in a special tin canister that were on clearance. Weeks later when I passed by the store again they had eight bottles on the shelf with the same price, this time with minature bottles of Fonseca 10 Year Tawny attached to the neck (50ml). This was an even better deal! When I got to the till it rang in at C$30, apparently the regular price, so I demurred. When asked, I told them what I had seen on the price tag and had assumed they still on sale. After checking she said that it was new stock and should have been re-priced but that I could have the eight bottles for the tagged price. I said that she didn't have to sell them to me as I understand that mistakes can happen but she was undeterred. Happy, happy, as they say.

Mahmoud.
Very nice of you to not want to take it at the wrong price and the store for honoring it...win for both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

FWIW Los Angeles Wine Co has 1/2 bottles of Bin 27 for $4.99 per bottle....I bought two cases a few years ago, but with shipping was much more. Still, they made great gifts and easy to drink especially when solo....I wish I could find that deal here.
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

John M. wrote:FWIW Los Angeles Wine Co has 1/2 bottles of Bin 27 for $4.99 per bottle....I bought two cases a few years ago, but with shipping was much more. Still, they made great gifts and easy to drink especially when solo....I wish I could find that deal here.
They had that same sale 2-3 years ago and I bought something like 3 cases worth. Was a great house Port for that price.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Best deals I have seen recently were on Crasto & Dow '11 LBV for like $10 a bottle...
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
John M.

Post by John M. »

Moses Botbol wrote:Best deals I have seen recently were on Crasto & Dow '11 LBV for like $10 a bottle...
I got a case of Crasto and paid $14.40/bottle and thought I did well.....that's a ridiculous price....where? It is awesome.
Any Port in a storm!
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

John M. wrote: I got a case of Crasto and paid $14.40/bottle and thought I did well...
Swoon ....
Moses Botbol wrote:Best deals I have seen recently were on Crasto & Dow '11 LBV for like $10 a bottle...
Double swoon ....

Mahmoud.
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Crying in my port :(
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

John M. wrote:
I got a case of Crasto and paid $14.40/bottle and thought I did well.....that's a ridiculous price....where? It is awesome.
Costco.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars