Buying habits

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Where do you buy the majority of your Ports?

My local grocery store
No votes
A local brick & mortar (B&M) retailer ... local independent wine shop
15%
On-line retailers that I have a long term relationship with
22%
Specialty shop ... e.g. Whole Foods, BevMo,
No votes
I use winesearcher.com to seek out the specific Ports I want to buy
20%
Auction houses that I trust
39%
Through on-line retailers that send me email offerings
5%

Total votes: 41

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Buying habits

Post by Roy Hersh »

Half of the thrill with Port wine is the hunt and impulsive chase to unearth a great deal of wood-aged and/or bottle-aged Ports. The collector geme in all of us is nearly as strong as our passion for consuming these liquid assets.

Where do you buy the majority of your Ports?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Re: Buying habits

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Where does a behemoth with antiquated idea's such as the saq fit :soapbox:
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

The SAQ fits like a square peg in a round hole.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

That about sums it .
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

were there an option for Other, that'd be for me. if PA grocery stores carried Port, i'd buy it there but though they're now allowed to sell wine and beer, fortified wines are too high proof for the laws.

i buy mine exclusively at the Wine&Spirits, colloquially known as "the liquor store" because that's the only store that carries it.

the law changed at New Year's so i could buy online, now. i haven't checked that option out yet. i assume i'd have to buy six or twelve bottles at a time and i only ever buy two or three due to not having that much money just hanging around.

a couple weeks ago i was out of state and picked up a 10 year Tawny that Trader Joe's carries.
jeff t.

Post by jeff t. »

I live in Florida and there is very little of interest available.Most of my purchases are from either Online Retail stores or Auction Houses.

Jeff T.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

I buy mostly online from other European countries as well as a few trusted retailers in Denmark that sell from mixed houses in big lots every 3 months or so. On occasion I buy from private people in Denmark and I have 1 very good contact in Gaia that I also use occasionally.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Interesting reading the posts as well as looking at the poll responses to this point. Hopefully, we can get out the vote, because no matter how much of a novice or expert, your responses count equally and I am sure everyone reading this has bought Port at some point in their lives. [yahoo.gif]
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

jeff t. wrote:I live in Florida and there is very little of interest available.Most of my purchases are from either Online Retail stores or Auction Houses.
I can say nearly the same living in Colorado. There is one local wine shop and one about 30 minutes away that occasionally have good deals.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Tawny and colheita I buy locally at B&M's. VP is either from importer/distributor, private party, or auction house. The handful of online retailers that ship to MA I buy whatever deals they may have; wine or port. If I see an underpriced VP at a B&M I'll buy them. Most likely they'll be a SQVP in the clearance bins.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

The majority of my Vintage port has been bought at auction. The only ones I haven't bought that way were the 2011s which were purchased through wine shops, the 18 or so Taylor's 2001 QdV which I got at Costco, and 2 Noval Silvals that I bought at a Noval tasting and were my very first ports in my collection.
LBVs are a completely different story - mostly I buy the Taylor's from Costco or I will pick up either a Cockburns or Grahams LBV from our dominant local liquor chain (something that has only been possible for a couple of years.
There still isn't much choice here if I want colheitas or 20+ year old tawnies so I don't get to drink them often
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

This year I've bought very little (apart from those darn buying Ops). But I still keep an eye out at auction and local retailers I trust for older stuff to backfill.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com