Considering LBVs

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Considering LBVs

Post by Roy Hersh »

We know of many great years of LBV production, but if you could only pick one each ... which would you choose?

a. From 2012 back to 2008, which ONE year is your favorite for LBV?

b. From 2007 back to 2000, which ONE year is your favorite for LBV?

c. From 1999 back as far as you want to go ... which ONE year is your favorite for LBV?

If you don't feel comfortable or have not consumed LBVs or Ports from some of those eras, just reply utilizing whichever you do feel that you have some experience with. Nobody is judging, but it will be interesting to come up with a solid list, of what some of the greatest years are for LBVs. It would be great if partipants can limit their answers to ONE entry for each of A,B & C.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Re: Considering LBVs

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Well, to give it a start with A) I'd have to give it to 2011. I have yet to have an LBV that's been underwhelming. Across the board they've had great, but not unapproachable structure and beautiful fruit. A close second would be '09 though, as the Fonseca especially is a tannic fruity monster that deserves another decade+ to unwind a bit.

B) I'd have to go with '04, as both Warre and Smith Woodhouse have impressed me. Crasto seemed very good as well, looking back in my notes. I've had some good '05s and '07s, but the structure on those three '04s take the day for me.

C) I've not had much in the way of multiple LBVs from any of the 90s or previous other than '99, but that said the '99 Niepoort LBV is one of my favorite of all time, so I guess I'll pick '99.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Brad

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Good choices Brad.

How recently did you last have the 1999 Niepoort LBV? If you ever have the opportunity to try the 1999 Smith Woodhouse LBV, I believe it is one of the better LBVs from that producer.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

A: For 2008-2012 it is close but 2011 wins out over 2010 (have not had a 2012 yet). 2009 is the worst overall. 2008 has its moments such as Crasto and Portal; but there are some weak ones.

B: For 2000-2007 I would have to say 2000 on the strength of Warres and Smith Woodhouse but almost everyone of this vintage has been good or better. 2004 was notable and the 2005 Niepoort was really great in another good year. I have no 2002's which is odd because every other year has many. 2007 is the weakest year overall--curious because so far my favorite years have coincided with generally declared years.

C: I just have a couple before 1994 so my limits will be 1994-1999. 1994, 1995 & 1999 were the best to me and most of my TNs are for Warres and Smith Woodhouse.
Any Port in a storm!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Hmm... tough question!

a. From 2012 back to 2008... okay this one's easy. Has to be 2011 for me, but not for the reason you're probably thinking! It's because I really haven't had many LBVs from those 4 years other than from 2011, so it almost wins by default.

b. From 2007 back to 2000... I'd have to go with 2003 for this one. I really like Quevedo's and Noval's and Taylor's efforts from that year. Even though the Taylor was filtered, it was superb. I have 6-packs of the other two that I'm aging... will probably try them in 2018.

c. From 1999 back as far as you want to go... wow. Tough. There were some really good 1994 LBVs, and as Roy already mentioned the SW 1999 is fantastic, but I think I'll actually go with 1995 because I like the SW 1995 even more than their 1999. I don't have much experience with LBVs any older than that.
Glenn Elliott