Is there a direct correlation qualitatively for LBVs ...

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Is there a direct correlation qualitatively for LBVs ...

Post by Roy Hersh »

... with generally declared years for Vintage Ports? [shrug.gif]

In other words, if 2011 is great for VP, will it automatically translate to excellence for LBVs produced from that year's grapes too?

Your opinion counts and I hope that Port novice, intermediate and aficionado alike, will be willing to take a stab at this. [welcome.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Re: Is there a direct correlation qualitatively for LBVs ...

Post by John M. »

It seems to work out that way....I just posted on your parallel topic about favorite LBV years and the best overall years certainly line up....there are exceptions, but it is uncanny.
Any Port in a storm!
John M.

Post by John M. »

It seems to work out that way....I just posted on your parallel topic about favorite LBV years and the best overall years certainly line up....there are exceptions, but it is uncanny. The best LBV producers (IMHO such as Warres, Smith Woodhouse & Crasto) are always very good, its the next level that seems to get the most boost out of a Generally Declared year.
Any Port in a storm!
Bert VD

Post by Bert VD »

well i have very much enjoyed LBV's from 1992, 1983, 2007, 2009 and 2011. those are the first i can think of. not all great vintage years but no bad ones either.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Outside of 2009, they are all pretty darn good, or better. I view 2009 more as an excellent year for Douro wines than Port, kind of like 2004. There are exceptions of course. [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Tune in tonight or over the weekend, to see what I think on this topic.