What do you look for in a Port?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

What do you look for in a Port?

Post by Andy Velebil »

We all have different likes and dislikes when it comes to Port and all the various styles there are. For example, you may be someone who loves a lot of acidity in your tawny's. Or perhaps you don't like too many tannins in your LBV's. Maybe you like Ports on the sweeter side.

What are the things you look for, that you like, in different types Ports.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Re: What do you look for in a Port?

Post by Moses Botbol »

Most important factor for me is quality spirit added to the wine. I don't mind heat, but lower quality spirit just takes down any port a notch.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Got a sweet tooth
However when all factors are in sinc , it don't get any better :winepour:
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
John M.

Post by John M. »

It seems I like the feminine side of ports--Grahams are Ferreira just lovely. Mainly what I look for is integration and complexity. A Port with too much heat that fights the rest just isn't fun.

Most of the younger tawnies do not interest--a little too brassy as a rule, so I tend towards the better 20 year olds or anything 30 on up. Love that woody camamel texture in the older ones
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Freshness for me. I like a streak of acidity.
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

unfortunately price is a big factor for me. but even drinking $20 Ports i have preferences.

the alcohol can't overpower the flavor. it's nice if it's just warming and doesn't actually burn.
i like a simple syrup or fruit sweetness, not an artificial flavor.
i prefer when the sweetness hits mid- or late-palette.
the fuller bodied the better.

i like flavors other than just grape. i especially like raspberry, blackberry, caramel, and honey. sweetness has to be balanced by acidity, which is something i like about blackberry and raspberry.

i've been told by non-Port geeks that the Ports i prefer [bin 27 and Sandeman Founders Reserve] have strong Sherry notes.
Bert VD

Post by Bert VD »

i prefer a port that goes towards a full bodied red wine rather than a liqueur taste. not too sweet and sticky. but it can be dry or super fruity. acidity and freshness is important for me.
i found out that i'm not a big fan of tawnies and whites but i try them when i get the chance. (tried a 10y old Vieira de Sousa white yesterday)
so far i haven't tried many older VP's but i do like the younger ones just as much.
Monique Heinemans.

Post by Monique Heinemans. »

I prefer vintage port way over tawny's. The only tawny I still have in my cellar is the 20y old Ferreira Duque de Braganca.
For VP I seem to have a preference for the somewhat sweeter style. I don't have had all the bigger names yet (I never f.i. had a VP from Noval National or Ferreira) and from some producers only one or two vintages (f.i. Vesuvio only 1994 and 1997, Dow only 1980 and 2011), so my opinion is only based on limited experience. At the moment Graham's is I think my favourite producer, followed by Fonseca, does that makes sence?
I like it when there is freshness in the port, when you can taste the fruit, when it's fullbodied, elegant and round. I'm not fond of nuts, burning flavours and too much heat. Also it shouldn't be too sticky. Acidity is important, but integrated and not predominating. Then I like a very long aftertaste.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Symmetry.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com