2015 VP's, will you buy?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

2015 VP's, will you buy?

Post by Andy Velebil »

Here is pressing issue that will surely come up very soon when things start hitting the market later this year. Are you planning on buying 2015 Vintage Ports when they are released? If so, what producers do you plan on getting?

I'm sure the latter question may change a bit depending on how they are rated, but many of us tend to like certain producers and will buy regardless. So that question is about what you plan on buying at this moment if it scores reasonably well.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Re: 2015 VP's, will you buy?

Post by Eric Menchen »

I resolved to not by any Port this year. For sake of the question, I'll presume that the 2015s don't make it across the pond until 2018. Given that ...

I certainly won't by as much as I did of 2011. I'm getting older and don't need as much 2015 even if it is great, and I don't think it will be as great as 2015. I'll buy some Crasto if they release it, since I stomped some of those grapes. After that I would buy Vesuvio and Smith Woodhouse if available as those are some of my favorites and slightly more reasonably priced. After that, it will depend on reviews for the bigger names, and bargain/price for the smaller names.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I'll buy Graham's Stone Terraces, but that's probably about it. Maybe a Vesuvio 6-pack since my last one is 2011. Maybe another bottle of something here or there simply to drink young. Otherwise I'm getting to the age where buying VP on release doesn't make a lot of sense.
Glenn Elliott
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I'll buy 6, maybe 12, bottles of Vesuvio to keep my complete vertical going. I'll probably also buy 6 bottles of Noval.

Beyond that, I'm not sure. I bought a lot of 2011 and really only now need to buy for drinking young or for my children. Or to keep verticals going.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Likely just a mixed case or two.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

It depends a bit on the price.

If they try to pitch higher than the 11's, I'll probably only buy a few small producers and the odd large format.

I recently got into conversation with someone in the wine storage business, who confirmed my suspicion that the amount of wine being stored keeps growing and growing, because people are sick of bank deposits that yield negative real returns, and still don't have much confidence in other conventional investments.

Whilst there's no immediate end in sight to that scenario, an end must happen eventually, at which point it seems inevitable that an awful lot of wine and port will be looking for new owners. As no-one likes to catch a falling knife, it seems more likely than not that at some point over the next decade we will see a big slump in wine prices and a splendid buying opportunity, especially for recent vintages..
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Tom Archer wrote:I recently got into conversation with someone in the wine storage business, who confirmed my suspicion that the amount of wine being stored keeps growing and growing, because people are sick of bank deposits that yield negative real returns, and still don't have much confidence in other conventional investments.
Great, wine as an investment, to buy and sell for profit instead of enjoyment. Hopefully it will backfire and afford lovers of wine and port to enjoy them at a later date.

As for the 2015s I will not be buying any. I stopped at buying with the 2000/2003 vintage. At a time when I had the opportunity to buy Smith Woodhouse at rock bottom prices I opted for the '96 Madelena instead of '07 VP.

Mahmoud.
Edward J

Post by Edward J »

Mahmoud Ali wrote: As for the 2015s I will not be buying any. I stopped at buying with the 2000/2003 vintage. At a time when I had the opportunity to buy Smith Woodhouse at rock bottom prices I opted for the '96 Madelena instead of '07 VP.

Mahmoud.
Same here, I only have a handful of 2007, less than 2 cases from 2000 and later. With the impending doom of S-W/G-C I've seen the Smith-Woodhouse VP's and Madelena at very good prices. G-C, not so much.
Monique Heinemans.

Post by Monique Heinemans. »

After the 2003 vintage I told myself this was the last, after the 2007 I told myself this was the last and after the 2011 vintage I told myself this was the last... But my oldest son and his wife have developed their taste for port over the last few years, so that's a good excuse, isn't it?
So probably yes, I will buy... But not as much as former vintages!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Monique Heinemans. wrote:After the 2003 vintage I told myself this was the last, after the 2007 I told myself this was the last and after the 2011 vintage I told myself this was the last... But my oldest son and his wife have developed their taste for port over the last few years, so that's a good excuse, isn't it?
So probably yes, I will buy... But not as much as former vintages!
Yes, a very good excuse [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Hiya oldies [friends.gif],

Be just a young lad with 36 summers on my conscience, I still have time left to see the 2015 vintage mature over the next 20-40 years. So I will be buying heavily [yahoo.gif]

Without having planned to much yet I will for sure get a case of 6 of each the following on En Primeur.

Quinta do Vesuvio
Niepoort
Dow's
Graham's
Noval

I also want to buy a few Alves De Sousa, Vale de Maria and Vale do Meão as well as I am intrigued by these brands.

If Fladgate declares you can add Taylor's and Fonseca to the list and perhaps some Ferreira.
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Thomas V wrote:Hiya oldies [friends.gif],

Be just a young lad with 36 summers on my conscience, I still have time left to see the 2015 vintage mature over the next 20-40 years. So I will be buying heavily [yahoo.gif].
Sure, rub it in.
Jasper A.

Post by Jasper A. »

Be just a young lad with 36 summers on my conscience, I still have time left to see the 2015 vintage mature over the next 20-40 years. So I will be buying heavily [yahoo.gif]

Without having planned to much yet I will for sure get a case of 6 of each the following on En Primeur.

Quinta do Vesuvio
Niepoort
Dow's
Graham's
Noval

I also want to buy a few Alves De Sousa, Vale de Maria and Vale do Meão as well as I am intrigued by these brands.

If Fladgate declares you can add Taylor's and Fonseca to the list and perhaps some Ferreira.
You better start saving :)
Monique Heinemans.

Post by Monique Heinemans. »

Quinta do Vesuvio
Niepoort
Dow's
Graham's
Noval

Oldies....... :shock: .......talking to me.....?

Hahaha, yes, enjoy your youth and when, in about 30 or 40 years, you're enjoying one of your 2015 beauties, just remember me for just about a second... and then, go on and enjoy your very very nice 2015 VP!
Bert VD

Post by Bert VD »

Quinta do Vesuvio
Niepoort
Dow's
Graham's
Noval

i'm 31, but it looks like my wallet is thinner than yours [cheers.gif]
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:Sure, rub it in.
Sorry, couldn't resist.
Monique wrote: Oldies....... :shock: .......talking to me.....?
Hahaha, yes, enjoy your youth and when, in about 30 or 40 years, you're enjoying one of your 2015 beauties, just remember me for just about a second... and then, go on and enjoy your very very nice 2015 VP!
I will send you a happy thought when I am sipping on my mature 2015 Quinta do Vezúvio vintage port on my patio in 2045 when I am 64 years old [dance2.gif]
Jasper A. wrote:You better start saving :)
I have been for a while actually. I figured that either 2015 or 2016 would be declared, as Roy since late 2015 indicated that 2015 would be a good VP year. Now I just need to get some good en primeur deals in hand after we know who will declare. I am sure hoping for Fladgate to be all aboard.
Simon Doggett

Post by Simon Doggett »

looks like 2016 has whipped 2015 in the botski...
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Simon, really?

How do you figure that?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Simon Doggett

Post by Simon Doggett »

Because the general declaration seems to have been saved for 2016. I bought a Graham's port bond to celebrate my wedding in 2015 and the indications seemed to be that it would be a stella vintage year and I would be getting 6 Graham's declared VPs rather than 12 Malvedos. Now that seems to have reversed. Luckily my son Zachary was born in 2016 so I got a bond for that too and I would bet that he will have 6 bottles of Graham's from what will be a generally declared 2016 vintage this time next year. It will be fascinating to see them develop and see which vintage is the better.
Mike Meehan

Post by Mike Meehan »

Have any of the flagship SFE or TFP houses been declared (aside from the Cockburn centenary)?