Mystery Quinta do Noval

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Albert Bouffard

Mystery Quinta do Noval

Post by Albert Bouffard »

Wondering if anyone can help sort this out - I'm trying to identify a bottle of Quinta do Noval; not sure if this is a VP, LBV, or Colheita.

The glass on the front is embossed, reading
Noval
AJS
Port

The silver metal capsule reads:
"Quinta do Noval Vila Nova De Gaia"

The stenciled label, which is mostly worn off (including the vintage, unfortunately), likely reads
"Quinta do Noval" based on the letters remaining though there are no real clues to the designation or vintage

Photos are via this link:
https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-us/auct ... 7a00d6c5b4

Many thanks if anyone can help me sort this out!
Maurice Fitzhugh

Re: Mystery Quinta do Noval

Post by Maurice Fitzhugh »

I think it is antonio jose da silva. I could not see the posted picture

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Albert Bouffard

Yes I suspect so -- but it isn't clear to me as to whether that signifies whether this is a VP vs LBV or a particular age.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Mystery Quinta do Noval

Post by Andy Velebil »

Using my phone so bear with me. it could be anything from a cheap Ruby to an older tawny as they used that bottle for a number of their ports but it would not be a vintage port as they didn't use that bottle for VP, at least that I've ever seen. Bottle shape like that was used somewhere around the late 50's to early 60's where they then added the flat spot on the top of the bottle (looks like a flat broken edge under the capsule). Total gamble as to what it is without the lettering on the bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Albert, your link somehow got clipped so it's not working. Could you edit your post a re-include the link?
Glenn Elliott
Albert Bouffard

Glenn E. wrote:Albert, your link somehow got clipped so it's not working. Could you edit your post a re-include the link?
Thanks for the heads-up, Glenn. I think this should work:

Albert Bouffard

Andy Velebil wrote:Using my phone so bear with me. it could be anything from a cheap Ruby to an older tawny as they used that bottle for a number of their ports but it would not be a vintage port as they didn't use that bottle for VP, at least that I've ever seen. Bottle shape like that was used somewhere around the late 50's to early 60's where they then added the flat spot on the top of the bottle (looks like a flat broken edge under the capsule). Total gamble as to what it is without the lettering on the bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy, thank you again - I saw your reply on Wine Berserkers. Much appreciated!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Albert Bouffard wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:Albert, your link somehow got clipped so it's not working. Could you edit your post a re-include the link?
Thanks for the heads-up, Glenn. I think this should work:

Yep! That one works.

Sadly I don't really have much of anything to add other than what's already been said. If I squint really hard I think it looks more like a tawny than a ruby (especially in the neck), but that still leaves a really wide range of possibilities.
Glenn Elliott
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

I'm pretty certain from the remains of the stencilling that you're looking at a Noval LB

Compare with the picture here:

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... f7017b3622

I've drunk old bottles of this a couple of times - I wouldn't go paying big money for it. The bottles have an intentionally 'distressed' look - I very much doubt the bottle is as old as the auctioneer suggests.