325th Anniversary Tawny from Taylor Fladgate

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Link.

Looks, for once, like it might even be reasonably priced! So far none that I can find in the US, but it's about $40 in Europe.
Glenn Elliott
Bradley Bogdan

Re: 325th Anniversary Tawny from Taylor Fladgate

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

I know it'll be around $40 retail here in TX, so seems like it! The only downside is the decidedly storage unfriendly bottle shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Brad

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Cool bottle design. Though I don't think it's meant to be stored for any significant period of time

Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

The bottle is intended to be a throwback to the bottle shapes which were in use when Taylor was founded — 325 years ago. The bottles then were not intended for storage, just to be filled from the barrel and taken to the table where they would be emptied the same evening.

The port inside the bottle is a blended wine. Having tasted it, I can tell you that it is not intended to be cellared and would not reward anyone who does! It is a soft, tasty and very gentle sweet and figgy tawny.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Al B. wrote:The bottle is intended to be a throwback to the bottle shapes which were in use when Taylor was founded — 325 years ago. The bottles then were not intended for storage, just to be filled from the barrel and taken to the table where they would be emptied the same evening.

The port inside the bottle is a blended wine. Having tasted it, I can tell you that it is not intended to be cellared and would not reward anyone who does! It is a soft, tasty and very gentle sweet and figgy tawny.
Did you find it a reasonable value? Going off the website text, while they may have a small proportion of very old juice in there somewhere, I'd guess it is predominately 10 or less y/o juice based on the price.

-Brad

Al B.

Post by Al B. »

In my opinion it's not a port to buy if you're looking for value for money but it is a port to try once and it's a great bottle to have in your empties collection. It is a great throwback shape.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I believe Decanter gave it 94 Points. Curious to hear what you all think of it when you get to try it. If it's that good for $40, back up the truck on that purchase.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Andy Velebil wrote:I believe Decanter gave it 94 Points. Curious to hear what you all think of it when you get to try it. If it's that good for $40, back up the truck on that purchase.
I believe they did. I was very surprised.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

The Danish port marked is being flooded with this particular bottle at the moment, and it seem that most people are biting. :shock:

That "limited" verbage, always seem to get people scrambling for their wallets.