2015 Niepoort vintage port and more!

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 2015 Niepoort vintage port and more!

Post by Roy Hersh »

I've said it many times throughout the years, even before FTLOP existed; that Dirk's finest VP is 2000. At a tasting here in 2003, Dirk stayed here in Sammamish and with a group of super-knowledgeable Port lovers from all over the US and a couple of other countries too, we were drinking some really ancient and top bottles from the likes of 1863, 1900, 1908, 1912, 1927, 1931, 1942, 1945, 1948.

A discussion came up about the best 2000 VP. Most in the room ssid Fonseca. The next day, I presented a 2000 Fonseca and a 2000 Niepoort double blind to everyone. 3 in the room were Portuguese winemakers, 2 very young ones (J. Morreira and J.S. Borges) in addition to Dirk. Michael Broadbent, Richard Mayson and others were at my event too. The majority chose Niepoort that day. Impressive showing by both bottles. That was one heck of a head-to-head bottle battle.

I just had a 2nd bottle of 2015 Graham's Stone Terraces at the end of last week. Fun to try it again! :scholar:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com