Garrafeira Ports (sharing an article I saved)

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Nick Lagrega

Garrafeira Ports (sharing an article I saved)

Post by Nick Lagrega »

The contents of this article are most likely common knowledge to those who know a lot about Port-but since it describes perhaps the rarest style of Port. I just wanted to share this description I had found and saved describing Garrafeira Port. It is not my article and I have had it for some time and cannot recall the source-"Garrafeira Port - This is a very rare style of Port and many Port lovers have never even heard of it; even fewer have ever tasted one. Literally the word garrafeira (pronounced: gah-rah-FAY-ruh) translates to bottle cellar, private wine cellar or bottle rack in Portuguese. Do not confuse this with the word garrafeira you may find on your typical table wine in Portugal. In that scenario the word "garrafeira" typifies a Reserve wine, but has nothing to do with Port.

Garrafeira is an elegant style of Port made from the grapes of a single harvest, like a Colheita and therefore has a vintage date on the bottle. But "garrafeira" is its own special category. Dirk said that today, Niepoort is the only producer still making this category of Port. Otherwise, I have only read of Ferreira and Real Companhia Velha (Royal Oporto) having ever made garrafeira Ports.

After aging in wood for three to six years the wine is transferred to glass demijohns ("bon bons") which can vary (in the Niepoort Lodge) from seven to eleven liters apiece, and continues aging in glass. This type of aging adds a unique character known as "cheiro has garrafa" (translates to: savour or essence of the bottle) which is derived from prolonged direct contact with the glass demijohns. Further aging in the demijohns, sometimes for well over 50 years; helps to produce a seamless, smooth Port that is delicate, fresh and possesses great finesse." Sounds kind of like a Colheita but aged in glass. As I said I am not sure of the source-it may even have been written by Roy.
Christian Gollnick

Re: Garrafeira Ports (sharing an article I saved)

Post by Christian Gollnick »

Hi, yup - the text is from the FTLOP web=page...: http://www.fortheloveofport.com/faqs/
I know from one other port producer that might one day launch also a garrafeira port... At least I was sitting in his car and it was loaded with beautiful demijohns... :)
As these babies take a long time to mature I hope I'm still around to drink one of those garrafeiras...
[cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

If memory serves, WAY back in the day quite a few shippers/producers made these types of Port. I've seen several over the years in producers cellars. Though usually it's just one or two older ones that someone looks like they experimented with and they are still there. Probably because no one knows what to do with them. And not enough to sell by any means, but there are more of them floating around than just at Niepoort.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

With the induction of Peter Skov and Ivan Madsen, 2 Danish blokes into the Confraria do Vinho do Porto just a few days ago in Porto. Peter actually managed to gather all the Niepoort garrafeira bottles once more for a full tasting during these days in Porto.

Besides a few of their Danish friends joining for the tasting also a few Port celebs were present including Oscar Quevedo, Dirk Niepoort, George Sandeman, Elsa Couto, Carlos Flores, Pedro Pintao, Alvaro van Zellar, Mario Ferreira and Roy Hersh. According to Allan Laurants who is the Danish mr. Niepoort, this tasting was of much better quality than the previous that took place in February this year if I recall correctly.

I've been lucky enough to taste the 1950 bottle earlier this year, though it had been open a bit to long to show at it best. Still a special experience.

P.s. I also know of at least one house that is experiencing with demijohns who have never public sold a garrafeira port.
Nick Lagrega

Post by Nick Lagrega »

Christian Gollnick wrote:Hi, yup - the text is from the FTLOP web=page...: http://www.fortheloveofport.com/faqs/
I know from one other port producer that might one day launch also a garrafeira port... At least I was sitting in his car and it was loaded with beautiful demijohns... :)
As these babies take a long time to mature I hope I'm still around to drink one of those garrafeiras...
[cheers.gif]
Thank you so much for your response-
Nick Lagrega

Post by Nick Lagrega »

Andy Velebil wrote:If memory serves, WAY back in the day quite a few shippers/producers made these types of Port. I've seen several over the years in producers cellars. Though usually it's just one or two older ones that someone looks like they experimented with and they are still there. Probably because no one knows what to do with them. And not enough to sell by any means, but there are more of them floating around than just at Niepoort.
Thank you so much for your response-
Nick Lagrega

Post by Nick Lagrega »

Thomas V wrote:With the induction of Peter Skov and Ivan Madsen, 2 Danish blokes into the Confraria do Vinho do Porto just a few days ago in Porto. Peter actually managed to gather all the Niepoort garrafeira bottles once more for a full tasting during these days in Porto.

Besides a few of their Danish friends joining for the tasting also a few Port celebs were present including Oscar Quevedo, Dirk Niepoort, George Sandeman, Elsa Couto, Carlos Flores, Pedro Pintao, Alvaro van Zellar, Mario Ferreira and Roy Hersh. According to Allan Laurants who is the Danish mr. Niepoort, this tasting was of much better quality than the previous that took place in February this year if I recall correctly.

I've been lucky enough to taste the 1950 bottle earlier this year, though it had been open a bit to long to show at it best. Still a special experience.

P.s. I also know of at least one house that is experiencing with demijohns who have never public sold a garrafeira port.
I had seen this information posted and that is what made me look for the article I had saved in notepad-Thank you so much for your response-
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

It was a great day and very generous of Peter Skov to open the entire collection of 10 Niepoort Garrafeira Ports. I was up to my usual slow self, painstakingly writing up detailed notes, which I read to the entire group at the end of the afternoon's shenanigans. A great day with good friends, several who had come on a FTLOP Port Harvest Tour and a bunch of well known Portmakers. It was incredible to have all of these Garrafeiras side-by-side in their entirety, and an afternoon none of us will soon forget.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com