July 4th drinking plans

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

July 4th drinking plans

Post by Andy Velebil »

For us American's July 4th is our celebration commemorating the adoption of the Declaration of Independence 241 years ago on July 4, 1776. This year, since it falls on a Tuesday, many people have taken Monday off as well to make a long weekend out of it. So the important question is, what have you opened so far and/or what do you plan to open?

For me, I've got a bottle of 2008 Vertice bubbly on tap and also plan to open a Madeira (since our forefathers loved the stuff and drank tons of it*). Not sure which Madeira just yet but probably a NV Barbeito "VB" Reserva Lote 1.

*In case you were wondering what our leaders enjoyed during the Constitutional Convention... In 1787, two days before they signed off on the Constitution, the 55 delegates to the Constitutional Convention partied at a tavern. According to the bill preserved from the evening, they drank 54 bottles of Madeira, 60 bottles of claret, eight of whiskey, 22 of porter, eight of hard cider, 12 of beer and seven bowls of alcoholic punch.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Re: July 4th drinking plans

Post by John M. »

Just for the record, the Declaration was really adopted July 2nd...it was announced July 4.

2002 Kopke White Colheita opened yesterday to dove tail in Virtual Tasting. Just wonderful and I have 1/3rd of the bottle left.
Any Port in a storm!
Christian Gollnick

Post by Christian Gollnick »

Not being American and having to work on July 4th in the office, my drinking plans circle around Colombian Coffee from the 2016 vintage. And maybe some still water.
:(
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Christian Gollnick wrote:Not being American and having to work on July 4th in the office, my drinking plans circle around Colombian Coffee from the 2016 vintage. And maybe some still water.
:(
Remember to drink in moderation :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jasper A.

Post by Jasper A. »

I opened a Churchill's 2011 LBV last weekend, so had a glass last night on the 4th of july.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Drinking different RWC Historic Series Madeiras. Seems appropriate for the 4th of July celebrations.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Moses Botbol wrote:Drinking different RWC Historic Series Madeiras. Seems appropriate for the 4th of July celebrations.
Indeed. :salute:
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Glenn E. wrote:
Moses Botbol wrote:Drinking different RWC Historic Series Madeiras. Seems appropriate for the 4th of July celebrations.
Indeed. :salute:
That and too lazy to open a bottle of port... These were already opened...
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Opened a San Leonardo 30.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Stranger than fiction. Yesterday, was likely the first time in MANY years where alcohol never passed my lips. [dash1.gif]

I realize this might seem like Fake News to some and wouldn't blame those who don't believe what I typed above.

Nonetheless, it is true. :beat:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

I was at a cookout/birthday party with lots of smoked ribs, pork and brisket served with a very nice selection of India Pale Ales. No Port.
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Slight change due to relatives drinking wants. Opened a 2008 Vertice sparkling wine (superb and I like it better than the 2007...better acidity and freshness), and a couple other Portuguese wines. A red and white. Never got to the Madeira unfortunately so it'll live for another day.

jeff t.

Post by jeff t. »

Opened two bottles with friends
1980 Taylor enjoyed by all
1985 Quarles Harris-not very good
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

John M. wrote:Just for the record, the Declaration was really adopted July 2nd...it was announced July 4.
They voted for independence on the 2nd, wrote the Declaration to explain why, and ratified the Declaration of Independence on the 4th. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... dependence

And for the record, I had different beers (Helles, Porter, and Bourbon Barrel aged Barley Wine) with various smoked meats (brisket x2, ribs, and sausage) over the coarse of the holiday extended weekend.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I avoided any alcoholic punch, for the record LOL.

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I barbecued 2 pork shoulders, 2 whole chickens, and 6 extra chicken thighs for my wife's family. No Port at the event, but I did have some 40 year old open at home and had a glass later in the evening.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I headed to the relatives. Usual BBQ ribs chicken and sides. Of course the pool was well used given how hot it was. Let me say never play Marco Polo in the pool with a bunch of 15-20 year olds and their friends. I now have no less than four bandages stuck to me. What was I thinking.

Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Oh and don't get into a water ballon fight with your 15 year old cousin who is a pitcher that throws 95 MPH.

Svein CE

Post by Svein CE »

Act your age, man.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Svein CE wrote:Act your age, man.
Port keeps us all young at heart [friends.gif]