Show me a more lonely Port Wine fan...

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Christian Gollnick

Show me a more lonely Port Wine fan...

Post by Christian Gollnick »

Having nothing better to do, I sometimes use Google Maps to look at cool things on this amazing planet. When I was looking at the most remote islands I saw suddenly the PORT WINE GUEST HOUSE.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Port+ ... 73.9823353

There is even a video out about this place: https://youtu.be/1uForsxE86U

I have the deepest respect for the person that decided to go with this name. This must be one of the biggest hardcore Port Wine fans ever... Well done, my unknown friend.
But then I also wouldn't be surprised if Andy V. and Eric I. know this place already and have visited it...

[rotfl.gif]

FTLOP community, I challenge you to show me a more remote place with regards to Port Wine...
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Show me a more lonely Port Wine fan...

Post by Andy Velebil »

Hah. Never heard of it. But appears not "real" Port but the South African type. Which can be very good as well. Perhaps if I ever get down there I'll try and stay and see how it is. Until then someone else will need to take up the torch and give it a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bert VD

Post by Bert VD »

port in paradise [cheers.gif]
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

Andy - the one Christian mentions is in Tonga (not the one by the same name in South Africa). Apparently named after George II's favourite drink as he had a house down the road; but no mention of port being available if you stay there that I saw...
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I used his above link and that is what it pulled up.

Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Would love to visit Tonga one day. I believe it to be one of the last absolute monarchies left.
I've mainly been in the Marshall Islands, Micronesia, and the Republic of Palau.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Christian's Google map link took me to the place in Tonga, and contained this link:
portwineguesthouse.com
The Port Wine Guest House (or in Tongan Pota Uaine Fale) is named after King George II’s favourite drink Port. The King’s old residence is situated only one block away from the guest house. The King’s land, called Veitatalo, is now vacant but the Government still looks after the land and cuts the grass.
Nice reviews on TripAdvisor, but I looked at all the photos and no one was drinking Port.
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

Andy Velebil wrote:I used his above link and that is what it pulled up.

I wasn't having a go, I was asking - I couldn't see anything on the Tonga site about S.A. ports, so was asking whether I'd missed something or if you might have had the other place (which was the first I found while Google-ing).
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Over the course of a few years, I had the op-port-unity to drink port wine early and often throughout my time spent in So. Africa. There were many good bottlings of what they call vintage. I visited a few of the top producers whilst there, but was invited to several port and other dessert wine tastings while spending time there. I was there to blend five (white/red) table wines, two of which were going to be selected and sold at Trader Joe's. It was a ton of fun and quite lucrative while it all lasted.

I brought a 1924 KWV Tawny with me to So. Africa on my very first time visiting and opened it for the directors of the Pinotage Association. Anyway, the So. African ports were quite good and some even used true "imported" vine cuttings from Portugal. The best examples I had whilst there were the old single harvest tawny ports by KWV; reminded me of my first time trying Setubal Moscatels.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

my aunt used to scuba dive all around the world and visited Tonga several times. when i was a kid she sent me a postcard with pictures of the king on it. if you go, make sure you bring back a traditional Tongan cannibal fork as a souvenier!
Christian Gollnick

Post by Christian Gollnick »

Scheiny S wrote:make sure you bring back a traditional Tongan cannibal fork as a souvenier!
Since my neighbors discovered my Port-Tongs they look at me already with different eyes and I'm sure they expect me to have a dungeon under my house. If I now hang a Tongan cannibal fork next to the Port-Tongs I'm convinced that the local police will start to run my name through quite a few data-bases...
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Would love to visit Tonga one day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcZmatKcS6U