Macau, China - Macau Soul Port and Madeira lounge

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Poyee K

Macau, China - Macau Soul Port and Madeira lounge

Post by Poyee K »

Like Hong Kong, Macau is a Special Administrative Region of China. It's about an hour and a bit from Hong Kong by jet ferry. A few years ago, Macau already had 5x the recorded annual gambling revenue of Las Vegas.

I visited the very nice Macau Soul port and madeira lounge recently. It is close to the St Paul's ruins, which form part of Macau's old town that is the core of the UNESCO World Heritage site. Decor is old style Chinese with Portugese flourish and attractive as a place to relax with a sentiment melded from Macau and Portugal.
http://macausoul.com/content.html

The port and madeira list is impressive. For instance, I bought a 1/2 bottle of Ramos Pintos 1991 vintage, which was served decanted. Developed and balanced flavors in this vintage port that pleased me, although I could not say that it was stunning. Price for the 1/2 bottle was HK$310 or roughly US$40. There is no port available by the glass, although certain madeira is.

The owner David and his wife Jacky are passionate about port and madeira and provenance is important to them. They buy generally from the producers directly.

I had some 24 aged thinly shaved Portugese pata negra, which is different from relevant Spanish hams. Foods are all non-hot, like dressed sardines, cheese and other items.

I'll definitely be back to this place when I next visit Macau.
Moses Botbol

Re: Macau, China - Macau Soul Port and Madeira lounge

Post by Moses Botbol »

Sounds awesome. Macau is on my shortlist of destinations I'd like to visit.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars