BREAKING NEWS: New Joint Venture

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

BREAKING NEWS: New Joint Venture

Post by Roy Hersh »

From Cristiano van Zeller:

Both Francisca and I are very happy to officially inform you that my cousins António and Martim Guedes, from Aveleda and I have reached and just signed an agreement by which we officially merge our two companies. It has been almost two years since we formally began our talks. Many alternatives were discussed and carefully studied in order to reach the most efficient and fair agreement for both parties and the future of our cooperation and our companies. We all believe we have achieved a formula that will benefit both of our companies and that we have assured a long and secure future for this new enhanced group of producers of great quality wines.

The very first conversations between my cousins of Aveleda and I regarding a possible cooperation in the Douro happened right after my acquisition of Quinta Vale D. Maria, back in 1996. For many reasons, the initial discussions with the then Board Members Luis, António and Roberto Guedes, did not have immediate follow-up. Our conversations then did not go any further than a mere exchange of ideas and possible opportunities. In the meantime Aveleda began a project in the Douro, in the early 90’s, producing and bottling a Douro wine under the brand Charamba.

Twenty years down the line, during which years you have been a fundamental part of our story at Quinta Vale D. Maria and also in the creation of a new wine region in the world – the Douro DOC wine region – Martim, António and I picked up the initial discussions again.

My company Lemos & Van Zeller, Ld. has just changed its name to Quinta Vale D. Maria – vinhos, SA, in order to emphasize its core business and brand and Aveleda has become its only shareholder with 100% of the capital. In exchange my wife Joana, my three children and I have become minority shareholders at Aveleda, together with the Guedes family. I am remaining as Executive Director of the Board of Quinta Vale D. Maria, heading Aveleda’s new Fine Wine Division, together with Francisca as Brand Manager and also Martim and António Guedes, who are the executive board members at Aveleda.

Francisca will remain on board and will see her role extended to Aveleda’s Fine Wine Division Brand, Marketing and Communications Manager (the Fine Wine Division will be headed by Quinta Vale D. Maria with all Douro and Port portfolio, including the current Aveleda’s quinta in the Douro Superior; other wines from other regions of Portugal in Aveleda’s portfolio may be added later to the Fine Wine Division as Aveleda owns properties in both Vinho Verde and Bairrada).

Joana Pinhão will also remain as the winemaker for all Quinta Vale D. Maria and Van Zellers & Co Douro DOC and Port Wines and CV-Curriculum Vitae Douro DOC wines. Our viticulture team will remain the same.

As per the agreement between all the Douro Boys, we continue to be an integral part of the DB group (I continue to personally co-own the Douro Boys brand with the rest of the Douro Boys).

The renamed Quinta Vale D. Maria company will continue to produce and market CV – Curriculum Vitae and Van Zellers & Co. Douro wines and Ports, as until now. All will continue to be an integral part of the company. In fact and in all respects, there are no changes in the way we operated until now. Being part of a larger family group we will, however, gain an incredible capacity to be more efficient in every aspect of the business as we will share all experiences and resources with all the Aveleda team, one of the most professional in the world of wine.

This is a new life for all of us, one that we are very happy and very enthusiastic to embrace. Both Francisca and I can now concentrate all our efforts in creating business and brand awareness for Quinta Vale D. Maria (and CV and van Zellers & Co.) and, of course, for the Douro region and its wines and Ports. All our efforts will now be supported by one of the most efficient and professional wine company teams in Portugal, which is organized to meet and excel excellence.

Francisca and I, as well as Martim and António Guedes, would be very happy to invite you for a visit, meeting and lunch at Aveleda in order to meet everyone and see the new reality. Both António and Martim are also very much looking for this opportunity. Please let me know if and when you could have any plans to come to Portugal in the near future.

All contacts for Quinta Vale D. Maria remain, for now, unchanged. Any further updates we will keep you informed. Francisca and my contacts continue to be the same.

After 4 generations, the Guedes and van Zeller families reinforce their family ties with this new partnership.

We would like to thank you for all the friendship and companionship you have shown us throughout all this time we have been working together. We will have many more great years ahead together. As we have always stated and worked towards, our efforts are about innovation, our wines are about personality, character, excitement, pleasure, fun, reliability, people, and life. We are a dedicated team, which tries to make sure that each and every one of our wines is a testimony to our life's philosophy. And that certainly remains unchanged.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: BREAKING NEWS: New Joint Venture

Post by Andy Velebil »

WOW!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

I didn't see that coming! Sounds like it will be good for both families.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

That's excellent news. I'm delighted that Cristiano and Francisca have been able to join forces with Aveleda to form a bigger group and to get the benefit of shared infrastructure and facilities.

Hopefully that gives both of the former independent companies a better and stronger future.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Another take and Luis is someone I trust and admire:

http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature ... le-D-Maria
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com