Restaraunt Eleven [Pgh, PA] Port List

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Scheiny S

Restaraunt Eleven [Pgh, PA] Port List

Post by Scheiny S »

my birthday is in September and i'm considering going out to dinner for it. i checked out the Port list at Eleven, what do you think of the selection and prices?

Heitz Cellar Ink Grade Port | $12
2009 Bogle Petite Sirah Port | $11
1980 Graham’s Porto | $18
1985 Dow’s Porto | $25
2002 Smith Woodhouse LBV Porto | $10
10yr Dow’s Tawny Porto | $10
20yr Graham’s Tawny Porto | $15
30yr Sandeman Tawny Porto | $25

they also have one Madeira and one Sherry:
10yr Blandy’s Malmsey Madeira | $9 (Portugal)
Dios Baco Amontillado Sherry | $9 (Jerez, Spain)
Moses Botbol

Re: Restaraunt Eleven [Pgh, PA] Port List

Post by Moses Botbol »

No complaints on the non vintage pricing or selection. [cheers.gif]

1980 Graham and 1985 Dow are some of the finest vintages of the decade. I would be hesitant to try them unless they recently opened. I would ask how much for a whole bottle of either with dinner!
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Moses Botbol wrote:1980 Graham and 1985 Dow are some of the finest vintages of the decade. I would be hesitant to try them unless they recently opened. I would ask how much for a whole bottle of either with dinner!
I too was intrigued by those. Both are worth trying, but how long have the bottles been open?
Too bad it isn't the other way around--1980 Dow and 1985 Graham. But not bad as it is.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

The 1980 given the quality and price ... a no brainer. The 1985 is also good, but I'd start with the 1980 first. Otherwise, I have exactly the same opinion here as Moses who gave you very sound advice. IF the bottle is opened, even if they tell you (lies) that it was opened that night or the night before, (the typical nonsense spewed) tell them you are only a "buyer" if they'll open a fresh bottle in front of you, for your birthday.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I'd also want to know how big the pours were that the prices refer to.
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

Roy Hersh wrote:The 1980 given the quality and price ... a no brainer. The 1985 is also good, but I'd start with the 1980 first. Otherwise, I have exactly the same opinion here as Moses who gave you very sound advice. IF the bottle is opened, even if they tell you (lies) that it was opened that night or the night before, (the typical nonsense spewed) tell them you are only a "buyer" if they'll open a fresh bottle in front of you, for your birthday.
i'll have to see whether friends would go in on the bottle.
what about decant time? have them open it earlier that day? or open it when we arrive and begin serving with dinner? [not very long at all.]
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Scheiny S wrote:
Roy Hersh wrote:The 1980 given the quality and price ... a no brainer. The 1985 is also good, but I'd start with the 1980 first. Otherwise, I have exactly the same opinion here as Moses who gave you very sound advice. IF the bottle is opened, even if they tell you (lies) that it was opened that night or the night before, (the typical nonsense spewed) tell them you are only a "buyer" if they'll open a fresh bottle in front of you, for your birthday.
i'll have to see whether friends would go in on the bottle.
what about decant time? have them open it earlier that day? or open it when we arrive and begin serving with dinner? [not very long at all.]
Ideally about 4-6 hours ahead on the whole bottle. Longer if they are just uncorking it and leaving upright till you arrive.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars