#4: What is your favorite vintage of Niepoort's VP?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

#4: What is your favorite vintage of Niepoort's VP?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Yes, there are many wonderful Colheitas and Garrafeiras and at some point we'll explore that category too, but for now ... PLEASE stick to Vintage Ports.

Can you pick just one from all the beauties that are out there in terms of the VPs?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I see going to make us suffer for a bit :wink:

Although I've had a number of older Colheita's and a couple Garrafeiras now, this is going to be tough as their older VP's are quite rare and I can't recall ever having one with significant age on it.

So here is one of my favorite VP's so far...the 2003.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

So many fun with many bottles indeed but my Fav VP so far is the 2000.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

I'm going with 1970.

Although the 1963 was actually showing better at the time, I believe the 1970 is probably the one that will hold up longest. From the youngest vintages I prefer 2003.
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
jon bricken
Location: ridgefield, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by jon bricken »

I have only tried 4 vintages of Neipoort (1991, 1992, 1997 & 2003)

I would have to go with the 1997.

I have never tasted citrus so clearly in a port before and it was entirely delicious.
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

The 1955 Niepoort is a GREAT bottle of port!
Adam F

Post by Adam F »

Not tried many hard to fine, 2000 is my preference so far but we will have to see what I try over the next few years whilst those put on a few pounds.
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

Richard Henderson
Robert O.

Post by Robert O. »

I think the '97 is awesome
SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by SEAN C. »

I haven't had many ..they are impossible to find in the US!
The only Niepoort vintages I have ever had were in Portugal at Niepoort!
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

Only have ever had the '97. It was damn fine though!
Scott Anaya
Erik Wiechers

Post by Erik Wiechers »

I only had the 1985 so far. Several bottles remaining. Will try the 1997 in the near future.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

When I consider the Niepoort Vintage Ports I've had and the 4 generations of Niepoort Port makers, spanning 1912/1927/1931/1942/1945/1963/1970/1985 and then all of Dirk's vintages from 1987 on, it is so very tough to pick just one of those.

It would be easy to pick which one I believe is the GREATEST Niepoort I have ever tasted as the 1927 put me on a different stratosphere and I've only had that once. But the question raised was about choosing just one, favorite Niepoort and that is more difficult with all of the standouts in the first half of the 20th century and the slew of greats in the past 15 years.

Back in May of 2003, when Dirk first visited me here in Seattle for a three day Port-athon with friends from near and far, there was one tasting that has helped me to focus on the answer here. I was able to try most of the legends that weekend and then Dirk put me on the spot with a few friends.

On the Saturday morning, I took a very small group of friends ito what is considered one of the best wineries in WA State. Their winemaker said he wished he could drink Port with us. Dirk laughed and pulled out a bag and told me that he had chosen my top two picks from the recently released vintage and brought those two VPs for me to taste blind side-by-side. I thought it odd he had brought these to the winery. A few of my friends were able to participate with Dirk and me (Richard Mayson was part of the gang and FTLOPer Nicos Neocleous amongst the four or five).

The bottle I chose after we had consumed a glass of each (blind - pop and pour style) was the 2000 Niepoort. In the other bottle was the 2000 Fonseca. I have had the Niepoort from Y2k many times from cask sample and finished bottle and as Frederick chose, my favorite is also the 2000 Niepoort, which was also the first time I had bought pre-release Niepoort by the case.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Great scenario here my friend to unveil your vavourite, a jewel to read!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I've only had a handful of vintages from Niepoort, those being the 1977, 1987, 1991, 2000 and 2005.

Of those vintages, the 2000 has been scored at 90-94 points and would be my "favourite", but from such a limited selection that I really don't know how meaningful this choice is.

Alex
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Alex,

You mentioned that you don't really particularly like the Niepoort style of VPs. I realize it must be a stylistic preference and something that does not appeal to your palate.

Can you describe what that is? I know you like their Colheitas, but I am talking about the VPs which you had referred to. Thanks.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: #4: What is your favorite vintage of Niepoort's VP?

Post by Roy Hersh »

It has been deemed fitting and proper that this particular thread, with some fine posts, should be made more current with those that have had significantly more Niepoort experiences than they had in the past 28 months since this thread was begun. Whilst others may have just explored Niepoort for the very first time. A timely parallel discussion to the visit from our Guest Corner Host.

Either way ...

Have at it! [berserker.gif]
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I've only had a couple, but from those I'd have to say that the 1997 and 2000 are both outstanding. For my palate the 1997 is drinking better right now, but the 2000 is probably going to be one for the ages.

What's ironic is that the only reason I've had the 1997 is because I made a mistake - I thought I was ordering a 6-pack of the 2000. Now that I've tried it, though, I'm glad I messed up the order! :lol:
Glenn Elliott
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

I love the 2003 Niepoort.... my favorite to date. However, the 2007 may be better than that... but it's early days yet for that one. The 2003 is still stunning and drinking surprisingingly well. I would have expected it to be a bit more closed down. I have no doubts that it will make an outastanding older Port.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Roy,
Don't forget the 1960 we had at the first FTLOP gala.