#8: What is your favorite vintage of Quinta do Portal VP?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

#8: What is your favorite vintage of Quinta do Portal VP?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Quinta do Portal is a new producer and started their Vintage Ports with 1995. So although there may be newer producer/Shippers ... in my opinion Quinta do Portal has made a string of very high quality Vintage Ports in great years like 2000 and 2003 and even in years that most people don't even consider, like 1999.

The quantity of awards the Portal Ports have garnered is astounding given their short time in the Douro making Ports under their own label. I've written about them since 2002 and was one of the very first to introduce them to Port lovers in the USA and around the globe. I have enjoyed watching them grow and gain media attention and see their Ports evolving beautifully, while they develop a full line of DOC Douro wines as well.

So, on to the main question: If you could only choose just one, what is your favorite Vintage Port produced by Quinta do Portal?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I shall pass on this theme. I have only ever had the 2003 Portal and the 2003 Portal+. Although I liked both and preferred the Portal+, I do not consider my experience of their wines to be sufficiently large to be able to vote.
Erik Wiechers

Post by Erik Wiechers »

Owning the 2003 and the 2003+ portal but not consumed them yet i have to pass also.
I see they have the 1994 Colheita for sale also at the company where i bought the 2003, anyone had experience with that wine ?
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Same here, I've only tasted the 2003. Very good indeed and happy to own a couple.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Morten O

Post by Morten O »

The first VP I ever laid my hands on, in fact it may have been the first time I'd ever head of VP!, was from Quinta do Portal, in a wine shop in Lisbon. The seller offered me a sip and I bought a bottle, the 2004 SQVP. A young shipper but apparently with plenty of publicity. I had the 2005 SQVP a few days ago and liked it very much. But then again, I have nothing to compare it against. Quinta do Portal has a special place in my heart as it somewhat started my Port addiction. That's partly why I've bought a case of 2003, 2004 and 2005. They also seem to have a fairly good QPR which I favor.
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

I'll go for the 2003. I like it better than the 2003+ and I think the '03 ports from Portal were a big step up from all previous vintages.
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ronnie,

I also like the regular bottling of 2003 Quinta do Portal better. Actually, it is one of the top half dozen VPs of the vintage; with massive fruit and powerfully structured for LT cellaring. Mighty delicious today too, but requires a long "Alex-like" decant. :wink:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I have also only had the 2003 VP, although their White Port is nice for a sweeter one. Would make a good Portonic if I could wrap my head around adding ice and soda to Port :? One day I will try! ;)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

The fact that Quinta do Portal was able to make fantastic Vintage Ports in back-to-back generally declared vintages like 2000 and 2003 is not all that surprising. As much as I am enamored with both, neither is my personal favorite.

From this particular producer, which is new in terms of bottling Ports under their own name ... as mentioned 1995 was their first VP ... I have to go with a less well-known Portal vintage. The 1999 has always been my true favorite Portal VP. The secret is out, but those who've read my words over the years probably know this already.

Even though 1999 produced only a few really top notch Vintage Ports, the Quinta do Portal version is exceptional in its composure and remarkable seamlessness. One can never have enough of this Port and this type of thread offers buyers a great opportunity.

This is one of the most significant up and coming players in the Port world. If this is "news" to you ... take a punt and I am pretty sure you'll agree after your first sip of any VP post-1997. However, if you enjoy the uniqueness of SQVP and appreciate symmetry as much if not more than power ... here is your answer: 1999 Portal VP. :scholar: I've turned many people on to this Port and can say that no one has ever been disappointed.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Going over all my notes on Portal, I also agree with the 1999 as being their best...and what a great VP it is.

A not-to-far-off second is the 2003 VP. I think its a better VP than the "+" one.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Re:

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Roy Hersh wrote: I've turned many people on to this Port and can say that no one has ever been disappointed.
I've only been disappointed by the fact that I cannot find it here in Edmonton Roy! ;)

I have tried the Portal LBV as well ( 1996 version) and rank it among the top three LBVs (unfiltered) ever consumed. It actually would fight for the top spot and may hold that distinction. Sadly, there is no more left that I can find. A shame.

I would love to try the 99 VP as well.

Todd