#13 What is your favorite vintage of Quinta do Noval VP?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

#13 What is your favorite vintage of Quinta do Noval VP?

Post by Roy Hersh »

We will get to Nacional in due course, but for now PLEASE let us stick to the regular bottling of the Quinta do Noval. If you have had a particular vintage more than once or twice it certainly can qualify for your FAVORITE vintage of all. If you tried something once and loved it, it is harder to choose that vintage. So again, using our usual parameters, you can name ones you like, but ultimately must pick just ONE favorite vintage by Noval.

Thanks!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Re: #13 What is your favorite vintage of Quinta do Noval VP?

Post by Derek T. »

In recent memory I have tasted Noval 1931, 1958, 1963, 1966, 1985, 2000, 2003 & 2004.

Of those tasted more than once I will vote for the 1963. I am aware that there is significant bottle variation with this wine but when you get a good one it is superb.

When I get the chance to taste the 1931 for a second time I may change my vote :wink:

Derek
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Let's go with the only Noval VP that I have tried: 2003.

It would likely qualify in my "top 5" of all VPs tasted... it was rich, intense, opulent. Sure, young... infanticide you could call it... but so very very sweet!!!! :twisted: :devil: :devil: 8--)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Who can argue with that? I opened a 2003 last night for a friend, albeit a Pocas. It really matters not whether the VP is young or old as it only has to be your favorite. In this ongoing "what is your favorite" segment here on FTLOP, I have voted for 2000 at least once and a 2003 too.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Noval 2000 :) I haven't tasted it since 2004, on those occasion it was the classic exemple of a well structured Port.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Only had 3-4 different vintages, none stick out as a favorite, will have to review notes. I think the '55 was great. I shouldn't even comment until I backtrack my notes... :Naughty:
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Who would possibly thought that so few FTLOPers had tried Quinta do Noval Vintage Ports. I am amazed but ... learning. :oops:
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

I haven't tried any of the great old Novals. The eldest is 1966, but that was a pleasant port at best (never a top Noval probably, but enjoyable). Did taste a few from the '80's and early '90's but they were not top either. So it has to be a young one. 2000 or 2003. I'll go for the 2003 because it was so incredibly impressive just after release.
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

The best bottle I had was a 1966 vintage from a Berry Brothers and Rudd bottling. Absolutely youthful, energetic and, of course, delicious.
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Lamont Huxley

Post by Lamont Huxley »

I had the 85 many years ago, one of the first ports I tasted actually, and so have only a vague memory of it. I had the 70 last year and the 91 very recently. The 70 was fully mature and quite elegant - very enjoyable. The 91 I was very unimpressed with, so I guess with my very limited experience it's the 1970. Guess I need to drink more Noval! :mrgreen:
The Port Maverick
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

I'll vote for 2003. The 2003 is so close in quality to the 2003 Nacional that it's hard to chose. I marginally prefered the Nacional, but only because it was tasted side-by-side with the regular Noval. I think it's an amazing wine.

-Dave-
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:Who would possibly thought that so few FTLOPers had tried Quinta do Noval Vintage Ports. I am amazed but ... learning. :oops:
I would say this is because the regular bottles of this, in older years (pre- 1980's) are somewhat hard to come by and generally more in price. Which I assume is because of the Noval name alone. I see way more Nacionals for sale than regular Novals in the older years.

I am with David, Ronald, and Todd here...the 2003 Noval is my favorite so far. I actually scored it a tad better than the 2003 Nacional when tasted side-by-side. However, the bottles were not decanted ahead of time, so one of these days I will have to try both of them again side by side, this time with adequate decanting.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

I'd have to pick the 1997 as my favorite vintage of the regular Noval bottling. I've found some of the older vintages to be somewhat light, but the 1997 is a blockbuster!

Marc
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

In many of these "Favorites" threads, I've opted for 1970 or younger for my own personal selections. With Quinta do Noval, there is only one choice for me. It is a Vintage Port I will never grow tired of and have always enjoyed as the centerpiece for great tastings or even on their own. I don't own any and only owned one bottle which was consumed eons ago. However, I have been fortunate to have the 1931 Quinta do Noval on at least a half dozen occasions and each one is extremely memorable, because they've all been pretty remarkable, equaling some of the greatest old bottles of VP I've ever tasted.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I've been fortunate enough to have been in the right place at the right time to have tried Noval from 2004, 2003, 2000, 1997, 1994, 1985, 1970, 1966, 1963 and 1931. The standouts from these vintages are 1931, good bottles (as Derek says, these are showing a lot of bottle variation) of 1963, 1966, 1994, 1997 and 2003.

Noval is one of those styles of wine that I really enjoy. When mature, they are refined and delicate; not overly agressive or assertive and a real joy to drink.

I love the good 1963 bottles. These are fully mature, resolved and absolutely delicious. The '66 are close behind. The 1931 has been impressive on both occasions that I have drunk it, and it has been a real privilege to have done so - but I won't choose that as my favourite.

In recent years, under Christian Seely's team's guidance, the Noval wines seem to have really hit their stride. The 2003 port is mighty, mighty impressive and may become regarded one day as Noval's greatest ever vintage. The 1994 is not far behind.

But if you gave me the opportunity to choose any single case of Noval port to drink at its peak, I think I would choose the 1997. It was truly monumental last time I had it - surly, aggressive and starting to get into its teenage sulkiness, but this is going to be a fantastic glass of port in 20-30 years.

Alex