What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Name names and it would be appreciated if you'd disclose the price you paid, if that doesn't make you uncomfortable. You don't have to tell us how many bottles .. unless you want to. :)
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Re: What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

Post by Gary Richardson »

This week I have only purchased a Dow's 1982 colheita ($55) and a Dow's 2002 crusted port ($25) - single bottles of both. A relatively slow week.

This week, also consumed a Noval over 40 year tawny and opened a Roze's 1994 LBV last night. The Roze's had a surprising amount of sediment.

So, sticking with the goal of consumption = purchases.

-- Gary
Edward Nemergut
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia, United States of America - USA

Post by Edward Nemergut »

This was actually kind of a big week. I found retailer in SC selling 1985 Fonseca for $80, so I got 4 bottles for myself (and 2 for a friend). I also got 2 bottles of 1970 Fonseca and 2 bottles of 1977 Dow's.
João Rico

Post by João Rico »

At an Auction in Lisboa

Quinta do Junco VVVV (1907) Bottled 1947 - 50€ each
Quarles Harris Vintage 1963 - 15€ each
Croft Vintage 1963 - 25€ each
Some Old Colheitas 19th Century no label - 10€ each
Some 19th century no label Madeira - 20€ each

JR
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Those are some nice finds João, with good prices (from my US perspective) on the known bottles, and those unlabeled bottles could be a lot of fun. I wish I had such a source here on this side of the pond.

Last Friday I made a purchase from TCWC:
1994 Quinta do Vesuvio - $70
1994 Smith Woodhouse - $35
1997 Gould Campbell - $35
1997 Smith Woodhouse - $40

Today I put in a small order with ultraluxewine.com:
1997 Croft Quinta Da Roeda - $53
2005 Croft Quinta Da Roeda - $33

I'm slightly bummed on that purchase today, not because of the merchant, but because of a missed opportunity. After I read Roy's newsletter article about the 2005s I decided to purchase some. They won't be wines for the ages, but good mid-term drinkers. I found a single source that had Croft Quinta Da Roeda, Taylor Quinta de Vargellas, and Fonseca Quinta do Panascal all for $30 each, But my Port budget was spent at the time, so I waited. When I went to purchase at the beginning of this month, they had sold out of the Roeda and Vargellas, and told me they wouldn't be getting any more. As you can see I've found a price that is at least close, but not a single merchant that has all three at such a great price.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Wow João, those are great prices!

It's been a slow week for me... just a pair of 1995 Quinta do Crasto VP magnums from Vinfolio ($50 each) for me. I'm going to open one of them this afternoon at my company's weekly meeting, too, to share with people here who have expressed interest when I talk about Port.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I was trying to be oh so good and cut back buying...then I get a phone call from an :ftlop: 'er who shall remain nameless at the moment that says he's in a little store that has a few 1985 Quinta do Crasto VP's for $33 each, and do I want some. Lets see, an old rare Crasto VP that i've never had nor seen or heard of anywhere before....I'll take all they got that you don't want I said! 3-bottles later, I am the proud owner of some older VP's 8--)

I'll post a pic in a bit.

EDIT: Picture posted in the Portraits section of the home page.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

I picked up a bottle of Dow's 30 year old tawny (bottled in 2007) here in Charlottesville for a mere $59.95. What a steal!

Last week I also finalized my order with the newsletter vendor, but I don't think it would be appropriate to broadcast the specifics publicly. However, I think it would be permissible to say that I ordered 10 bottles in total, including four aged tawnies and four colheitas. Man, I love tawny port! In fact, I don't think I can wait for those bottles to arrive... I'm going to open the Dow's 30 year old right now! :D
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

Andy Velebil wrote:then I get a phone call from an :ftlop: 'er who shall remain nameless at the moment that says he's in a little store that has a few 1985 Quinta do Crasto VP's for $33 each, and do I want some.
I need some friends like that! Lucky goose! :)
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Not this week, but last. Got 6 bottles of 2006 Vesuvius for $40 at the LA Wine Co. Waiting to see if I can taste the essence of the tredders!
Erik Wiechers

Post by Erik Wiechers »

At an auction i bought a 1963 Martinez VP, good fill levels and a nice price. Will try it later this year.

edit:
oh yeah, i paid € 70 for it
Last edited by Erik Wiechers on Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it ain't dutch it ain't much

http://www.erikwiechers.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Eric Ifune wrote:Waiting to see if I can taste the essence of the tredders!
I understand the tradition and value of treading, but that just doesn't have an appetizing ring.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Eric Ifune wrote:Waiting to see if I can taste the essence of the tredders!
I understand the tradition and value of treading, but that just doesn't have an appetizing ring.
Eric M.,
A little inside joke there. What he's refering to is during the 2006 Harvest Tour those of us on the trip spent almost a full hour treading grapes with the workers at Quinta do Vesuvio. So it's our "toe jam" that's in the bottle :lol:
Attachments
2006 Quinta do Vesuvio.
2006 Quinta do Vesuvio.
vesuvio.jpg (118.42 KiB) Viewed 54715 times
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Ahh yes, I remember seeing that photo before. Remind me not to buy any of those :wink:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:Ahh yes, I remember seeing that photo before. Remind me not to buy any of those :wink:
Given that many :ftlop: toes were in it, I dare say it's the best Vesuvio since 1994 and everyone should buy lots of it :scholar: Of course I am a little biased since some of those :ftlop: toes were mine :mrgreen:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

My only purchase was 2 Mags of the 1995 Crasto. Looking forward to Glenn's TN on this particular wine. I only took two so that as many others as possible, could grab some for themselves. :winepour:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

I am chill on buying this week and enjoying my new Kopke arrivals this past two weeks :lol: ....'00 & '99 LBV, & 10 yr so far.
Scott Anaya
Bryan H.

Post by Bryan H. »

Bought 10 bottles today. Dominick's by us has a deal where all wine in the store is 30% off until April 27, and if you buy 6 or more bottles, another 10%. (It's worth a look if you have Dominick's near you that are running this offer--ours has a section of climate controlled with some very nice wines in it, although we were not looking to add high end stuff on this visit.) They actually have a decent selection of wine at this particular Dominick's so the wife and I gave it a try.

Port selection is not so great, but we are still exploring what we like and not, so I gave it a look, and at 40% off, figured why not. Picked up a Graham's Six Grapes, Taylor 10 year Tawny and a Dow's 10 year Tawny. Don't remember the prices off the top of my head. The real find was as we were headed to check out I saw a cart full of wine at deep discount--price as shown type of thing. A bottle of Warre's Otima 10 year on the top of the heap caught my eye. We had one of these a week ago and thought it was pretty good for a don't break the bank bottle. (Had purchased that one at Whole Foods for $23/500 ml bottle.)

The Otima in this discount cart was $10.99. That was quite a steal from what I have seen, so I grabbed all seven bottles in the cart.

Nothing fancy, just trying to explore a bit and build up a stock of various bottles.
Carlos Gandiaga

Post by Carlos Gandiaga »

Bought 3 2004 Niepoort LBVs (my first LBVS from Niepoort). Any insights on what to expect??
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Carlos - I had a bottle a couple of weeks ago and here is my TN on it. If you got to the TN forum, you can also find one for the 2003 Niepoort LBV which Andy opened at about the same time.
Glenn Elliott