1994 Martinez Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Ronald Wortel

1994 Martinez Vintage Port

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Reveals a touch of age on the nose with some leather aromas accompanying the lovely fresh fruit. Very approachable, medium sweet and medium bodied port. Refined and elegant, with nice cherries, bay leaf, dried herbs and liquorice. I loved it, it’s all about finesse and complexity, a joy to drink. I only had two bottles of this, but went out as fast as I could and bought six more.
Steven Kooij

Post by Steven Kooij »

This was the second time I tasted this Port, and it seemed a bit less sweet than the first time I tasted it (last August) - Ronnie poured it blind, and I did not identify it. A stunning glass, nonetheless - this is a Port that should still have a long life ahead.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Steven,

Anybody who could guess a 1994 blind and nail the producer as Martinez, would have me bowing deeply in total admiration.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

You are absolutely right Roy! I think that if I ad tasted this blind, I'd have gone for a Warre, because of the seductive, elegant style.
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

Martinez does not get to our market often. I found some NV Martinez in a sale bin for 3/$10 a few years ago. Bought it all, drank it all.
I would so much like to try any vintage of their vintage port!
Richard Henderson
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Tried this port again last weekend, and it showed even better than last time. Tight and closed the first night, but showing a beautiful elegant character. Giving much more the night after, although it was still somewhat closed then. Great port with a long future.
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Had this with Stevie and bman two years ago now. We could easily have killed a second bottle if Stevie hadn't jibbed out and got on a plane. It was obviously young but very drinkable.

If it evolves like the 85 then it will be ready in nine years time because that is currently perfect.
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Walt R.
Location: Park Ridge, Illinois, United States of America - USA

Post by Walt R. »

Genentlemen, I recently had the 94 Martinez and found it to be stunning even though I normally prefer more powerful Ports. I found it much better than the 94 Warre I had several months ago. I normally drink younger ports (due to relative cost and availablity in Chicago). What kind of improvements will occur?
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

With age, the port will gain in complexity and enjoyability. If you like upfront power, it is probably best to drink the ports younger, because the tannins will soften with age, and the upfront fruit will disappear and make place for multiple layers of different kinds of flavours.

If you like power, but want to try an older port, I can recommend you'd try the '77 Dow or '77 Gould Campbell. Both are examples of ports with age that are still very powerful.

BTW, I love the Warre 1994, but I'm a sucker for the elegant style of VP.
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

I'm getting a Tad frustrated that we cant seem to get hold of the 85 Martinez. I'll keep an eye open for 94. I'm in Portugal at the moment (Wrong End though - Algarve) and I cant find it in the standard Supermarkets and wine sellers, which do have a remarkable variety of stock. Whoever is holding the Martinez 85, try selling it, I think you'll find a market out there!!!

Alan :D
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Recently I've picked up quite a bit of Martinez and I'm looking forward to opening up the '87 in the near future. I figure there really isn't any rush to open the '94 since it probably has quite a long life ahead of it. I was tempted to also pick up a '82 but that was a very light vintage and even the houses that are typically produce very impressive VP disappointed that year. I could only imagine that the '82 Martinez is probably past its peak and on the slippery slope downhill.
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Alan,

I have used A&MW a number of times and can recommend them - excellent service and fast delivery.

Derek
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Thanks lads,

If they´ve still got it next week, I´ll get onto it. :D

Alan
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Thanks for the note Ronald! I just won a few bottles of this at auction.

-Dave-