2009 Quinta das Carvalhas LBV

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

John M.

2009 Quinta das Carvalhas LBV

Post by John M. »

Deep red, with odd legs, drops cling to the side. The nose is robust with grape and ripe cherry. The taste is incredibly robust and piquant---it overpowers. Taken aback I search for flavors and there are few. A semi-chocolate cherry but this is a simple one note port that packs a punch, not in heat but just so tannic and dry. Feels as though its in a dumb phase---but simple and I think this is it. I set it aside and taste over three days hoping it will settle down; by the third day it has toned down just a little but still too robust. More akin to a cheap basic ruby than an LBV. For the $15 I paid I would not revisit--far better values out there.

I purchased this at a B&M shop (1/2 bottle) from a place that often caries Q.d. Ventozelo. The labeling of the Carvalhas looks very similar to the last Ventozelo I purchased--I don't know if they are related.

75 Points
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 2009 Quinta das Carvalhas LBV

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've generally not been impressed with some of the Carvalhas line up, including Douro wines. I had one last year (a Douro wine) that was so tannic I don't think it will ever come around. If you're familiar with Dunn wines from the Napa area, those were tame compared to it. It was undrinkable. The sad part is they have a great Quinta, great location, and it's huge with a large amount of micro climates (it's a very vertically tall Quinta) so one has to assume they've got the raw product potential there to make some great wines.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

John,
I've looked through my notes on some Carvalhas Ports I had last year. The 2004 VP was really good so if you run across that it's worth getting (93+ points is what I gave it in my notes). The 1997 was also quite good as well.

The 2011 Vinha Velha Douro was a rock star as well. I was also 93+ points on it, in case you're looking for a Douro wine.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

That's good to know. Even though a 1/2 bottle I still have a glass left...did not drink last night so now we are on day 5...I will report back.

Interesting notes on Quinta.
Any Port in a storm!