Warre's 1977 Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Edward J

Warre's 1977 Vintage Port

Post by Edward J »

I wasn't planning on doing a note considering how this bottle was literally "broken" open. After straining and making sure no glass was present we ended up with ~500ml. You could see sediment in suspension and the color and nose were off. I checked to see if any improvement was being made after 2 hours and I was not encouraged. I served it after 8.5 hours and wow what a difference. Dark ruby 90% opaque with full legs, English roses on the nose and grapey goodness on the palate. Rich and demure, fully mature and feminine this port rocked. The finish came off like a cherry/grape Jolly Rancher candy. Sweet but with enough acidity to pull it off. She didn't hang around too long after, although I would of preferred a longer good-bye. Last glass second day, hanging on but fading. I wonder how much better if not shocked. Good thing I have 2 more. 93pts
Thomas V

Re: Warre's 1977 Vintage Port

Post by Thomas V »

Great note.

This has been added to my wish list.

Shame about the bottleneck. Did you use tongs?

Cheers.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Oh no, what happened?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Edward J

Post by Edward J »

We have acquired so much Port lately my home made wine fridge (standard Fridge with Johnson controller plus humidity gel) was at my current rack's capacity. In order to use all the space and get another 36 bottles in I built another rack. Unfortunately I used a different construction method and I failed to see a slightly warped pillar piece. While I was loading it up, a bottle slipped and fell onto the Warre's cracking open the base. Careful removal saved most of it, and the rack is now properly aligned. I'm just glad we have two more bottles. However the '77 is still widely available for a very decent price.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Edward J wrote:We have acquired so much Port lately my home made wine fridge (standard Fridge with Johnson controller plus humidity gel) was at my current rack's capacity. In order to use all the space and get another 36 bottles in I built another rack. Unfortunately I used a different construction method and I failed to see a slightly warped pillar piece. While I was loading it up, a bottle slipped and fell onto the Warre's cracking open the base. Careful removal saved most of it, and the rack is now properly aligned. I'm just glad we have two more bottles. However the '77 is still widely available for a very decent price.
That could have been much worse, glad it was only one bottle that suffered.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Edward J

Post by Edward J »

Andy Velebil wrote: That could have been much worse, glad it was only one bottle that suffered.
Me too! I'm currently trying to figure out putting together a proper cellar but I have a few other projects to complete first. Sad thing is now that I'm more up to speed as what to look out for I really have zero room now for long term storage except for what we drink (3-4 bottles a month). Right now I have a couple of cases sitting up in Napa for a few months until I have room to go get them.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Before designing and contracting for my wine cellar to be built, I found this book very helpful: http://www.amazon.com/Build-Wine-Cellar ... 1891267000
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com