1992 Warre Quinta de Cavadinha Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

John M.

1992 Warre Quinta de Cavadinha Vintage Port

Post by John M. »

Decanted 7 hours. Brick color to light brown. The nose is subdued and delicate with nuances of pepper, grape stems and aged red fruit. The wine is in a good spot and has several delicate flavors happening that reminds me of a cooked Christmas chutney with little flavors of raisin, plum, strawberry, a little allspice intermingled. The port is light in weight and feels very delicate. The finish is dry and of reasonable length. While no blockbuster and would perhaps fade against many VPs, by itself it is quite nice. I'm starting to understand the Cavadinha profile, light or moderate weight with subtle flavors. Good for mid-term drinking.

91 Points
Last edited by John M. on Mon May 02, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Any Port in a storm!
Bradley Bogdan

Re: Warre's Quinta de Cavadinha

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Thanks for the note! What vintage was this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

John M.

Re: Warre's Quinta de Cavadinha

Post by John M. »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:Thanks for the note! What vintage was this?

1992---fixed title.
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1992 Warre's Quinta de Cavadinha

Post by Andy Velebil »

John M. wrote:Decanted 7 hours. Brick color to light brown. The nose is subdued and delicate with nuances of pepper, grape stems and aged red fruit. The wine is in a good spot and has several delicate flavors happening that reminds me of a cooked Christmas chutney with little flavors of raisin, plum, strawberry, a little allspice intermingled. The port is light in weight and feels very delicate. The finish is dry and of reasonable length. While no blockbuster and would perhaps fade against many VPs, by itself it is quite nice. I'm starting to understand the Cavadinha profile, light or moderate weight with subtle flavors. Good for mid-term drinking.

91 Points
I think you've really hit the nail on the head with this one. I've found Cavadinha to be a much more earlier maturing SQVP than some others, like Bomfim, Roeda, Noval, etc. No idea if that is by design or just a product of that single property in non-classic years. Would be a good question to the Symington's.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Re: 1992 Warre's Quinta de Cavadinha

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

I think the two of you are spot on.

Also a good point or two better than I think I've given this wine when I've had it. I bought 6 when my younger brother turned 21 and had hoped for a bit more. The upside is the medium term vintages of this can be found at very reasonable prices when you've got an eye out.

-Brad