1985 Krohn's Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

1985 Krohn's Vintage Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Found this earlier this year at retail (online), and considering I didn't know if it was a VP or a Colheita from the description, I bought it without seeing a picture since the price was right either way. When it arrived, it was clearly a Vintage Port. I've never seen a tasting note on this particular VP, and come to think of it, I've never seen or heard of this VP before. Decanted 6 hours prior to tasting. Still holding a nice medium dark ruby with some bricking. Lots of black licorice, baked plums, and black currants. Medium bodied with some spirit showing in the palate and short finish. Licorice, resolved tannins, dried red fruit, and a touch of pine tar. Based on this bottle this VP is at peak and not getting any better at this point. But I have no reference other than this sole bottle, so take that for what it is. That said, this is enjoyable but not in the top tier of VP's from this vintage...at least based on this single showing. I would love to try this from a bottle with perfect (traceable) provenance to see if this bottle is consistent or not.
88 Points
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com