1995 VP Tasting

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John M.

1995 VP Tasting

Post by John M. »

We had a tasting of eight 1995 VPs chosen based on availability and TNs here. They were tasted blind by 10 persons in two sets of four over 2.5 hours (we knew what the eight bottles were as a group). Except for the Churchill's which was woefully oxidized, all of these ports had similar color--purple that is fading to red. They all looked about where they should on the aging scale. All were decanted 11 hours before the event. Here's quick synopsis, presented from first to worst (group scores):

1. 1995 Grahams Malvedos: Easily the WOTN. So delicate and feminine with a lovely sweetness. Hints of chocolate, black berry--extended finish. I guessed this one. 94 Points for me. 92.1 Avg for the group.

2. 1995 Ferreira: Easily the 2nd WOTN. Dry & dusty to start with pepper, grape, just a hint of a dark berry. Spicey dry finish--this grows on you as you drink it. I guessed Dows. 93 Points, Avg 91.3 for group

3 (tie). 1995 Warres Quinta da Cavadinha. Dryish, a little thin, White pepper, minty grass. Dryish clipped finish. Good-not great. 92 Points, 90.9 Avg for group.

3 (tie). 1995 Smith Woodhouse Madelena. Fruit forward with damson plum and cherry, a little earthy with chocolate, grape and prune. Medium finish length. 92 Points, 90.8 for group.

5. 1995 Taylor Quinta de Vargellas. Nicely balanced with a moderate finish. Touch of chocolate and dry rhubarb over plum. Finishes a little dry and spicy. I did not find it overly complex, yet a very nice drink. 92 Points, Group at 90.5

6. 1995 Fonseca Guimaraens. Figgy nose with layered stewed cherries, currants, cranberries/raspberries and fig, had a moderate length finish. 91 points, Group 89.8

7. 1995 Dows Quinta do Bomfim. Sweet prunes/raisins with a touch of licorice. A bit acidic. I felt this needs to age more. 88 Points, Group 89.4

8. Churchill's Quinta da Agua Alta. Once I started decanting the bottle I knew it was overly oxidized and smelled it. The nose was off-putting--earthy and sharp. It tasted okay and was drinkable. A slightly sweet finish with touches of burnt sugar. Given bottle conditions it should not be scored officially (everyone had it last), nonetheless I had 82 Points, Group 82.0
1995 VP Line Up
1995 VP Line Up
2015 05 02 Bottles.jpg (247.07 KiB) Viewed 480 times
Attachments
XX.jpg
XX.jpg (173.6 KiB) Viewed 478 times
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1995 VP Tasting

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thanks for the great recap and notes (I'll split them out into their own notes shortly). Your tasting gave me the idea to open a 1995 for later tonight, A 1995 Quinta do Tedo VP. [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Thanks for the recap, John! I have a bunch of '95s but have only consumed the 3 ones I own a bunch of bottles of. I really like the vintage considering its price (usually under $40) and am looking forward to opening a bunch of others now that I've got some recent notes to go off of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Nice, John! Was this your usual crew?

I assume the lack of a Vesuvio was due to availability? I like the '95 a lot, and when you can find it it's usually pretty cheap.
Glenn Elliott
John M.

Post by John M. »

Yes, Glenn, No Vesuvio as I could not find one reasonably....it was the only one I really wanted to add but could not.

A B&M shop up in very north western NJ had a Delaforce but I never got up that way and this one was not a strong priority.

Yes--the usual crew. Other than the Churchill, the seven others showed quite well indeed and everyone was happy with the tasting. While these are only 20 years old, they're in a decent spot, yet most have more aging potential IMHO.
Any Port in a storm!