1985 Gould Campbell vintage port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Rune EG

1985 Gould Campbell vintage port

Post by Rune EG »

Decanted 6 hrs. A lot of sediments at decanting. Colour was deep dark red. Deep aroma of berries, prunes and tiny touch of spirit. Full body. Powerful taste of ripe berries, prunes and raisins. Wonderful tannins. Sweet style. Long fruity aftertaste. 92 pts.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1985 Gould Campbell vintage port

Post by Andy Velebil »

What do you think is the future of this VP? In terms of how it's aging and how it will age into the future.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

NICE.

I will have it at our eighties themed tasting in 3 weeks time where we also will taste the 1980 G.C. Hopefully it shows equally well.
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

Lately we have had several GC 1980 and 1985, as they are easily available in Denmark these days.
The 1980 is for drinking now, and probably for limited long storage.
Even though the 1985 is five years younger, i also think it will last longer than the 1980 in number of years.
I have recently ordered a case of each of them
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Rune EG wrote:Lately we have had several GC 1980 and 1985, as they are easily available in Denmark these days.
The 1980 is for drinking now, and probably for limited long storage.
Even though the 1985 is five years younger, i also think it will last longer than the 1980 in number of years.
I have recently ordered a case of each of them
I did too buy 1 x case of each when they were offered at a bargain recently on Vivino Denmark. I have tried both of them before approximately a year ago but they are not clear in my mind, was a large tasting. Though I do recall I prefer the 85' to the 80'. It is the same for Smith Woodhouse. I completely agree with your view on which will have the longer life ahead of it, e.g. the 85'.

I hope they both will show well at my tasting in 3 weeks time where they will be served blind.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Both are very enjoyable and rich Ports. Would you mind sharing what the price for these two Ports being sold in Denmark, would equate to in USD nowadays?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Roy Hersh wrote:Both are very enjoyable and rich Ports. Would you mind sharing what the price for these two Ports being sold in Denmark, would equate to in USD nowadays?
They were a batch bought by www.vintageportvin.dk directly from The Symington Family Estates and consisted of bottles that were still kept in the cellars in Gaia (They have never left before).

The 1980 Gould Campbell was offered for 5 days in September on Vivino at 35 $ a bottle in cases of 6.

The 1985 Gould Campbell was offered for 5 days in October on Vivino at 42 $ a bottle in cases of 6.

It was outrageous prices for VP of that age, quality and provenance. People loaded up big time and including even some importers that offer them today for around 50 $ to make a few bucks.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thomas V wrote:
Roy Hersh wrote:Both are very enjoyable and rich Ports. Would you mind sharing what the price for these two Ports being sold in Denmark, would equate to in USD nowadays?
They were a batch bought by http://www.vintageportvin.dk directly from The Symington Family Estates and consisted of bottles that were still kept in the cellars in Gaia (They have never left before).

The 1980 Gould Campbell was offered for 5 days in September on Vivino at 35 $ a bottle in cases of 6.

The 1985 Gould Campbell was offered for 5 days in October on Vivino at 42 $ a bottle in cases of 6.

It was outrageous prices for VP of that age, quality and provenance. People loaded up big time and including even some importers that offer them today for around 50 $ to make a few bucks.
Wow, that's a great price on those!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com