1977 Dow Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Bill Spohn

1977 Dow Vintage Port

Post by Bill Spohn »

I had opened this about six hours before service. Last time I’d opened one, I found it to be on the hot side and not ready for prime time, and I wanted an update. Pale colour now, with clear rather than browning edges, and little of the heat I’d noted in the nose, replaced by a nuttiness – walnuts, chestnuts (perhaps influenced by the soup I’d served) and hints of orange peel and ripe dark cherry. The chestnut and cherry persisted into the palate and added cocoa and some spice. Finish was of good length and showed good balance. Best bottle of this I’ve tasted – interesting that others’ notes indicate that they believe it to be hitting senescence while to me it seems to be just hitting stride. I’d been fortunate enough to have the 1977 Taylors the week before and it surpassed this wine, but I think it would be asking a bit much for the Dow to show any better than it did for us.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 1977 Dow

Post by Roy Hersh »

I've always liked this Port, as I was jaded early on when buying a bunch @ $34 two and a half decades ago. They were incredible when they hit 20 and I believe they are on a long and mostly mature plateau at this point, but some bottles still show signs of youth, too. Like many from that awkward vintage ... loads of bottle variation and some TCA issues on occasion. Last weekend I took part in a tasting where there were 3 bottles of the 1977 Taylor's and one was corked. Go figure!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Poyee K

Post by Poyee K »

Tried the Dow 1977 for the first time earlier this week.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147648174@N08/

Champagne Salon 1996 (still in lemony young state)
Vieux Château Certan 1982 (tasting leader thought this was on the verge of being over the hill, but I did not think so and it was fine)
Château Gruaud Larose 1986 (not living up to its reputation for me, relative to other Gruaud Laroses)
Château Lafite-Rothschild 1970
Château Lafite-Rothschild 1977
Château Lafite-Rothschild 1981 (all Lafites were quite disappointing, although in some cases this was to be expected)
Dow’s Vintage Port 1977
Taylor’s Vintage Port 1983
http://www.awsec.com/site/hk_en/course- ... php?id=186

The Dow's 1977 continues along in a good manner. It is quite brownish visually now, with some translucence. I got a pour that was about the third from last in the bottle, and very visible were tiny little speckles of sediment. But these speckles were well integrated with the liquid of the wine and did not taste like sediment. They did not affect the taste. The texture is not particularly round, as it seems only of medium weight on the palate. The flavors are still good, with light caramel, notes of mild plum integrated with other developed fruit, development.

The Taylors 1983 felt more substantial on the palate, had a more puplish blackish color and looked less translucent. It had a lot more coalesced sediment, in clumps in some cases. Felt more sugary on the palate and not bad. Also more sugary overall, which I don't mind. The Dow's 1977 was better, but I am starting to see things I like in Taylor's vintage ports almost every time I taste them (whether old or recent vintages).
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Nice note C. I agree with you about Taylor's style and like it a lot too, but also very much enjoy Dow's as well. The 1977 should not be a brownish color, a recent one was a LOT less evolved from a color standpoint, with medium ruby in the center and lighter as it moved towards the meniscus, which did show bricking. Nonetheless, it sounds very different than what you described. I've not seen any that developed at this point. Maybe poor storage, failed cork (oxidized) or afflicted by heat somewhere along the line? Anyway, I hope you get to try a more sound bottle of it at some point. If you ever make it to Seattle, remind me and I will be happy to open one.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Poyee K

Post by Poyee K »

Thanks, Roy. See the linked photos. Browner liquid is the Dow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bill Spohn

Post by Bill Spohn »

My bottle wasn't browning either - usually an oxidation symptom. Sounds like marginal bottle. C'est la vie.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Agree 100%, Bill.

Whatever was wrong with the aforementioned bottle, it was not representative of bottles I've had recently and several that I've experienced in the past 1-3 years.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I'd put Dow towards the bottom of SFP's 1977 port offerings. Warre and Graham are both more consistent and generally better. I am drinking off what I own and don't plan to actively look for more D77. Not worth the gamble. Great bottles are special, but tasted better a decade ago.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

After looking at your pictures, I have to agree with Roy and Bill. It looks like that bottle was likely very slightly oxidized, or possibly slightly heat damaged. That's usually where that kind of brownish color comes from in a Vintage Port.

Luckily if the damage is only slight, the Port will still be very enjoyable!
Glenn Elliott
Poyee K

Post by Poyee K »

The port was enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Once again, it proves that provenance is everything.

Sometimes a very inexpensive group of Ports is sold cheap for a reason. I've seen this was some of the top 1977s, but even more so with great 1970s that seem like they are from 1955, (both Fonseca, Taylor and Graham's). Still delicious but way too evolved. Often times the bottle was bought inexpensively without any knowledge of the provenance. Of course we can't always know, but other times, it just pays to walk away from a deal that seems wayyy too good. :scholar:

We've certainly experienced this more than a few times at the FTLOP anniversary tastings. Even with some of the Nacionals that have under-performed.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:Once again, it proves that provenance is everything.

Sometimes a very inexpensive group of Ports is sold cheap for a reason. I've seen this was some of the top 1977s, but even more so with great 1970s that seem like they are from 1955, (both Fonseca, Taylor and Graham's). Still delicious but way too evolved. Often times the bottle was bought inexpensively without any knowledge of the provenance. Of course we can't always know, but other times, it just pays to walk away from a deal that seems wayyy too good. :scholar:

We've certainly experienced this more than a few times at the FTLOP anniversary tastings. Even with some of the Nacionals that have under-performed.
Or it was a bad cork. This was that time in history where the cork industry had lots of issues, as we know all too well :(
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com