1960 Martinez Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

John M.

1960 Martinez Vintage Port

Post by John M. »

2 Hour Decant. Saturated cork. Light rust color with yellow to clear rim emits aromas of caramel, vanilla and honey. Soft mouthfeel, moderate weight with a light spicy cherry profile. Touch of vanilla, honey and raisin. Just a bit of bite on the finish. WOTN.

93 Points
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1960 Martinez Vintage Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

1960's have seemed to have had a slight resurgence in quality recently. Everyone, me included, seemed to think they were all falling off the edge. Seems they just went "dumb" for a bit it now seems.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Port going into a dumb phase over 50 years of age? What? :munch:

I have not stopped loving 1960 VPs but for a bunch of years, they had literaly disappeared from the market here in the USA. In the past five years there has been a resurgence, but from my tastings I've never found them dumb in this century.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:Port going into a dumb phase over 50 years of age? What? :munch:

I have not stopped loving 1960 VPs but for a bunch of years, they had literaly disappeared from the market here in the USA. In the past five years there has been a resurgence, but from my tastings I've never found them dumb in this century.
Hah! Everyone on :ftlop2014: has talked about how virtually all the 1960's were on a slow downhill slide, that includes you. Some exceptions of course, notably Ferreira. There are plenty of threads where we all have stated they are on said slow-slide. Or where you stated only a few were top notch. Here's what you said in a couple posts I quickly found.
But in reality, I look at 1960, 1975 and 1980 as more current years that were good only for a handful of producers.....
I agree with Julian. There are few 1960s that have much gas left in the tank at this point. Drink up!
This quote was from 2007.

For many years it did seem that way, we all thought the same. Then the past couple years they have seemingly turned around and are once again drinking better than they did in the past 10(+?) years. The fun part of this obsession is seeing stuff like this happen over time. Who would have thought!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:1960's have seemed to have had a slight resurgence in quality recently. Everyone, me included, seemed to think they were all falling off the edge. Seems they just went "dumb" for a bit it now seems.
I'm not sure I'd call it a resurgence... more of a secondary plateau? My limited experience with them indicates that they haven't gotten any better, but rather have held consistent when we all expected them to slowly fade.

I think Ferreira is still my favorite, but I haven't checked my notes to be sure.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:1960's have seemed to have had a slight resurgence in quality recently. Everyone, me included, seemed to think they were all falling off the edge. Seems they just went "dumb" for a bit it now seems.
I'm not sure I'd call it a resurgence... more of a secondary plateau? My limited experience with them indicates that they haven't gotten any better, but rather have held consistent when we all expected them to slowly fade.

I think Ferreira is still my favorite, but I haven't checked my notes to be sure.
First I would agree that Ferreira is by far my favorite, a rock star in 1960. Call it what you like :lol: Secondary, resurgence....same difference [friends.gif]