1991 Smith Woodhouse Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

John M.

1991 Smith Woodhouse Vintage Port

Post by John M. »

Perfect cork. Clear brick red to deeper red. A moderate nose that smells of dried cherries, sweet yet with a slight bite. Sips very easy and gives off a distinct cherry flavor profile and finishes dry---think typical Dows. As it sat in my glass it opened up a little and the finish was extended, but always cherries and dry. Not very complex, never got any layers or secondary flavors, seemed like more of a SQVP or even a good LBV yet that one flavor is pleasing. I drank most of this with a friend and that is perfect for this bottle; share over some conversation. I purchased 4 of these and there were big bottle variations--this one was the best and sadly the last one.

Drank the last 1/3rd bottle two days later and the air time has done wonders. Still a distinct cherry aroma and flavor but also a tone of cranberry. It's the finish that has changed the most, now the finish is moderate and soft, so you're now getting a lingering sweet profile with the light cherry. Obviously this needs so time to breathe. In a very good spot right now.

93 Points
Any Port in a storm!